Giving an interesting presentation

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2014, 11:22 am

I have to do a 5-10 minute presentation on any subject next week. I chose Icelandic volcanoes, because that's my current special interest. I'm focusing on four: Eyjafjallajökull, Grímsvötn, Hekla and Bárðarbunga. I can't go into too much detail, because they won't understand it and there's not enough time, so I've just got some interesting facts.

So how can I make the presentation interesting?

I'm offering chocolate to anyone who can pronounce Eyjafjallajökull correctly.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 8:34 pm

You should speak clearly and loudly enough for everyone to hear you. Also use emphasis and pause so that the audience will know you are stating your main points. Try to look at the audience and speak as if you were speaking personally to them rather than just flatly read what's on your paper. Organize the information in a simple and logical manner. Also try to deliver the information in a way the audience can relate to it. Use diagrams and pictures. They will interest the audience and you will not feel so "looked at".

When we have a meeting at work there is someone who does exactly the opposite of the above. Everyone dreads his talk. He talks softly and with a bad accent. You have to super-focus to understand even a little of what he is saying. He is always looking at his paper and just reads out whatever is on his paper in monotone.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm

I think the main thing I need to work on is my voice then, because the diagrams are clear and the pictures are awesome. I normally speak quietly, and I definitely used to have a monotone voice, although it's improved. I think I'll record myself.