Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 4:33 pm

I'm doing some light landscaping in the garden, in one of the raised beds that needs to be removed I unearthed a red ants nest. The suggested method for removing them involves boiling water. Are there any successful alternatives?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:32 am

wikihow says:
1] Locate the mound. Fence off the area.
2] Put on protective clothing. Wear long sleeves, gloves, boots, etc.
3] Pour vinegar and baking soda into the fire ant nest hole. Do this repeatedly for a matter of days, and bait and/or spray other ants that you see elsewhere.
4] Pour a sufficient amount of commercial poison into the hole. This is to kill the queen. Then spray/bait any remaining ants that you see elsewhere.
5] Flood the hole with not only water, but vinegar and other substances. Spray, bait and drown other ants by leading them into a bucket on its side with bait in it, then quickly flip the bucket up and pour water. The water can also be mixed with hot sauce.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:57 am

Fire ants? That's gotta hurt!
Maybe you could use molten aluminum and create one of those crazy sculptures (that's also dangerous though). :roll:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:25 am

Thanks, lol, aunt/ant :)

Yeah its fire ants and they have to go, Im making a seating area beside the raised bed after I have dug it out and re sized it.

Their colony is not in soil, its in the stone drainage area under the layer of Terram.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:33 am

the big black ants are buggin' me also [ a pun :mrgreen: ] and I've put out poison traps all over the place and hope for the best, as I live in a leaky ol' tin can out in the woods and cannot hope to seal every little hole.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:10 am

Oh I would not like that at all, I suppose thats a downside to living close to/in a forest.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:18 am

it was the only thing I could afford on short notice, as my parents both passed away close together and I was their caretaker living with them, and suddenly I had to move so the house could be sold, and I could not afford their house.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:26 am

Ah, okay. That was a tough situation to be in. Do you have DIY skills or the resources needed to fix it up?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:28 am

^^^
it is nearly 40 years old, and would require a tear-down to the studs and a rebuild. it is at the end of its normal designed lifespan and is living on borrowed time. that is why I was able to get it for cheap enough even though I had to buy at the peak of the real estate boom in 2008. rotten timing, admittedly.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:44 am

That was bad timing. Its not a good situation to be in Blabby, I am lucky to have my homeplace to live in for now. I live beside a forest also, but I would like some day to own my own space again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 3:58 am

Amity wrote:
That was bad timing. Its not a good situation to be in Blabby, I am lucky to have my homeplace to live in for now. I live beside a forest also, but I would like some day to own my own space again.

I wish you the best of luck in that regard :)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 4:15 am

And for you, I hope there will be a positive change in your situation. :)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
the big black ants are buggin' me also [ a pun :mrgreen: ] and I've put out poison traps all over the place and hope for the best, as I live in a leaky ol' tin can out in the woods and cannot hope to seal every little hole.

Do you OWN the land, that your trailer's on, Aunty?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 9:23 am

They hate copper, I put an bit of old coppertube in the nest and they'll move out to another place

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm

traven wrote:
They hate copper, I put an bit of old coppertube in the nest and they'll move out to another place

That could be worth trying, I have lengths of copper piping.
They are going to have to go, I have bites on my arm today just from a few of the little buggers yesterday.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Apr 2015, 12:33 am

Amity wrote:
traven wrote:

That could be worth trying, I have lengths of copper piping.
They are going to have to go, I have bites on my arm today just from a few of the little buggers yesterday.
Put a steroid itch cream on them like Cortisone. I'm from south Louisiana & redants are very prolific there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition