Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 5:56 pm

If you can read this then you're special.
And I shall give you a cookie if you say please.

But on a more important note...
What does everyone think of this:
Next year, I will be taking two double units: Europe, Nazism and War and Victorian Britain. I'll also be doing one single unit on Britain during WWII, the Home Front etc. Doesn't that sound exciting? I'm going to go to the Imperial War Museum again over the summer to get me in a WWII mood. Woo.
Who else likes C20th Europe? Or C19th Britain?
Next year is going to be awesome. 60% of my course focuses on WWII. :D
History! Fun! Exciting! Yay! :jester:
I'm going to read some history books tomorrow. Don't know which yet though.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 May 2007, 6:02 pm

Yeah sounds fun. History was never my favorite but it was alot easier than any other subjects I took.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:02 pm

I love WWII!! !! !! !! !! !! !

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:03 pm

Starbuline wrote:
I love WWII!! !! !! !! !! !! !

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:06 pm

Me too!! !
(Apart from all the people dying, of course lol)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:12 pm

It is an interesting war, that's what you mean. But it could never be called a 'good' war. So many horrors. Many of them had emerged in WWI (biowarfare and chemical warfare), but the twin horrors of both the Holocaust, as well as the first use of a nuclear weapon.....

*shudders*

On sabbatical...

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:14 pm

Quatermass wrote:
It is an interesting war, that's what you mean. But it could never be called a 'good' war. So many horrors. Many of them had emerged in WWI (biowarfare and chemical warfare), but the twin horrors of both the Holocaust, as well as the first use of a nuclear weapon.....

*shudders*

I agree. I mean I enjoy studying it at university, reading about it. The first piece of coursework I did this year was on Nazi Germany. It's depressing.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:20 pm

Especially if you're different. Wonder how many aspies perished in the gas chambers they used for 'mentally-deficient' people (and this was well before the Holocaust against the Jews kicked into high gear)....

On sabbatical...

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:23 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Especially if you're different. Wonder how many aspies perished in the gas chambers they used for 'mentally-deficient' people (and this was well before the Holocaust against the Jews kicked into high gear)....

Yep. I would have been in there for any one of a number of different reasons. It's sickening really.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:52 pm

It would have been an interesting alternative history if Adolph Hitler had been a "Good Hilter" and used his influencing skills to improve the world.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:57 pm

Horrors, yes. But a war became necessary to put a stop to those horrors. (Which of course brought about more horrors, but eventually put a stop to it all.) Thus it was called a "good" war, in that it stood against a great evil in the world and stopped it in its tracks lest the whole world succumb to it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:52 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
Horrors, yes. But a war became necessary to put a stop to those horrors. (Which of course brought about more horrors, but eventually put a stop to it all.) Thus it was called a "good" war, in that it stood against a great evil in the world and stopped it in its tracks lest the whole world succumb to it.

No war is good, but I understand what you're getting at. It's also such a big joke that Neville Chamberlain had that 'peace in our time' comment. Pfft!

Talking of big jokes in warfare....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM[/youtube]

Imagine if joke warfare really existed.... 8O

On sabbatical...

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 May 2007, 9:38 pm

That was a great skit. :lol:

Are you going to learn about Winston Churchill? I'm a great fan.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2007, 11:22 pm

WWII can be very interesting when you learn about what was going on in the Soviet Union during in the war and how it effected Germans and Eastern Europe after the war. However, what I find interesting is the spy about of WWII and the fighting in the North Africa and the Middle East.

I also love Victorian Britian. I like that period in the history because of the many things that were happening at the time. This period is one of my old obessions, I was really into when I was younger. I think the reason I like this period is because what was happening in the US at the same time. Side note for those you in the US, I really got into this period after I got the American Girl doll Samatha who is set in this period. I love the clothes and the interesting play with social class and the role of women and girls.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 11:34 pm

WWII is my favorite war! it has hitler. i may consider reading mein kampf because i want to know what on in this mad man's mind. right now i'm just reading a book on him. i also love learning all of the other things about WWII. the only time i don't enjoy learning about this war is in the hellish confines of a classroom where use must follow a syllabus and memorize everything that the teacher says...*shudders* i'm an independent learner, mostly.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 11:53 pm

Nintendo WWII is awesome.