Page 4 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KalahariMeerkat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2007, 5:21 pm

It's probably just simple NT logic. Cats aren't social creatures and don't usualy like to be handled for long periods of time. Most don't come when called. People usualy like an animal that they can cuddle and that they can control. My brother once said that cats have no personality.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:22 pm

ghostgurl wrote:
Sometimes they can be unpredictable, they can shred furniture, if you get bit by one you might have to go to the hospital because of the bacteria causing an infection. Sometimes they are afraid or don't want to be with you.

Of course only some cats are like this, but not all.

Cow Kitty bites but not hard enough to puncture skin. Her scratching on the other hand...

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:23 pm

Flo has never bitten me. The only time she ever scratched me was by accident when she was falling.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:24 pm

Jack: Greg how come you don't like cats? Greg: I do like cats, I just prefer dogs... Jack: So you prefer an emotionally shallow animal? See, Greg, if you yell at a dog, his ears will go down and his tail will cover his genitals even if he's done nothing wrong. It's very easy to break a dog. But cats make you work for their affection. Cats don't sell out like dogs do.

This is a quote from Meet the Parents

willem
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:33 pm

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2007, 5:34 pm

Cryowolf wrote:
Cats are cute but in the end disloyal and false, selfish and scared. A cat wouldn't come to your defense if you're attacked or in trouble, they would cower away and attack only in self-defense. A dog on the other hand, if treated with love - will come to your defense even if it risks its own life.

Last month, our cat tried to help us. One of the kids didn't shut the door all the way when they left for school. Bella kept coming upstairs, meowing like crazy, then running downstairs again. She did that several times before I went down with her. She ran to show me the front door. It had probably blown open even more than what it originally was. I think there's something wrong with the weather stripping around the door, because this happened another time. When we got home from being gone about twelve hours, we found the door wide open. I panicked! My first thought was, "Oh no, Bella!! !" There she was sitting right inside, peering outside.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:41 pm

bizarre wrote:
Some people are deathly afraid of cats. I don't know why. A cat can't kill a human, a big dog could kill a person.

My sister-in-law is deathly afraid of cats too, she even doesn't want to look at them in pictures, and no one seems to know why is that.

For what I've seen a lot of people seem to prefer dogs over cats, me, personally I prefer cats, I dont like dogs, except when they are little puppies, because I am always been scared of dogs, cats seem nicer and cleaner to me. Although I am not too much of a pet person, I find cats and hamsters the cutest animals ever.

A cousin of mine, she had a small cat, who was playful and always jumped over people, over males actually, and she jumped over me many times, she was a cute little kitty.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

04 Jun 2007, 5:49 pm

Sopho wrote:
Aldokim wrote:
Sopho wrote:
Cryowolf wrote:
Cats are cute but in the end disloyal and false, selfish and scared. A cat wouldn't come to your defense if you're attacked or in trouble, they would cower away and attack only in self-defense. A dog on the other hand, if treated with love - will come to your defense even if it risks its own life.

That is BS. How do you know a cat wouldn't try and protect you? Flo got angry with someone once just because they hit me with a rolled up newspaper. They are not disloyal at all. Cats can be just as loyal as dogs, if not more. The only difference is that you have to earn the respect of a cat, whereas a dog will just blindly follow you like a Catholic to the Pope. Cats are not selfish. They are intelligent, kind and awesome.

Let's not get bashing dogs now. I love dogs :evil: I think that women can relate more to cats and men more to dogs...

What about someone who is neither a man or a woman?

Erm. As a female who is much more of a dog person, I rather resent that.

My issues with cats are thus: I do not know how to interact with them, having never been raised around them. While I'm fluent in doggy body language and can pretty much tell how a dog will react to me, I know very little of the kitty version and have no intuitive understanding of them.

I have been attacked by cats several times for reasons unknown to me (but the cat who did the worst of it was a vicious old tom who hated just about everything, so I'm willing to admit that this cat may just have been a bastard). Accordingly I am wary around strange cats, especially orange tabbies. I don't know why, but I have an extraordinarily bad track record with orange tabbies (every single one of which that I've known has tried or succeeded in scratching or biting me). I've had much, much better experiences with black and tuxedo cats, though.

On the other hand... I'm willing to give cats a chance. I know a couple of friendly cats that are willing to overlook my general ineptitude around them in exchange for my willingness to pet everything with fur. :) And one of the neighbor's free-roaming kitties has been known to trot up to me because he knows I'll give him a nice petting before I pick him up and remove him from my yard (because my terrier cross goes nuts when he's around) and another neighbor's little cat has been known to follow me around the neighborhood (even when I have the aforementioned dog in tow and wish she wouldn't). So meh, I'm not the world's biggest cat lover (certainly not near the obsessively interested person I am around dogs) but I'm fond of certain cats. If that makes sense.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 5:51 pm

My Mom's cat Quasimoto was an orange tabby and he scratched and bit.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 8:07 pm

They leave cat hair everywhere, especially recently when they're shedding all of their fur from winter.

They crap in places with loose gravel or dirt. Then you step in it because they cover it up so that you can't see it right away.

Cats make a lot of noise at night when they are fighting, preventing you from sleeping.

If you let them in they do not stop meowing and making noise until you give them food. (If they're used to getting food all of the time)

They follow you around and get under your feet so that you trip on them.

If you leave food on a table and there is a cat in the room they are usually eating it within a few minutes.

They have a habit of jumping into chairs and other warm places that you intend to sit at, sometime within a few seconds after you get up.

They may bite and claw you when they've had enough attention. There is usually a warning bite though.

They want to show off their kills(mice, moles, birds, etc) by leaving them on the steps by the door.

They may try to stare down people. Cat eyes are similar enough to humans that this bothers some people.

This is from experience why I think people might not like cats

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 8:52 pm

Cats and dogs both have positive and negative traits. They were domesticated for different reasons, and at vastly different times in history. A lot of what has been said here (i.e. all dogs are slobbering morons, all cats only love food and not you) are generalizations and stereotypes. If you want to base your friendships with animals on stereotypes then that's fine but don't get offended when someone says "All people with Asperger's have no empathy."

Obviously (by my name and sig) I am more of a cat person but that is simply because, for the most part, cats mesh with my personality more. I like dogs, too, just in smaller doses. All I am saying is try to understand cats, and/or dogs and appreciate them for what/who they are - otherwise you might miss out on a beautiful friendship. My stepmom hated cats all of her life because she bought into stereotypes and she wasted many years of good kitty lovin' because of it. Now she has three cats and loves them dearly.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

04 Jun 2007, 9:15 pm

kittenfluffies wrote:
Cats and dogs both have positive and negative traits. They were domesticated for different reasons, and at vastly different times in history. A lot of what has been said here (i.e. all dogs are slobbering morons, all cats only love food and not you) are generalizations and stereotypes. If you want to base your friendships with animals on stereotypes then that's fine but don't get offended when someone says "All people with Asperger's have no empathy."

Obviously (by my name and sig) I am more of a cat person but that is simply because, for the most part, cats mesh with my personality more. I like dogs, too, just in smaller doses. All I am saying is try to understand cats, and/or dogs and appreciate them for what/who they are - otherwise you might miss out on a beautiful friendship. My stepmom hated cats all of her life because she bought into stereotypes and she wasted many years of good kitty lovin' because of it. Now she has three cats and loves them dearly.

Amen. :) The two cats I know best--the two neighborhood cats I mentioned above--are both quite friendly. I've never fed the tom (though I have occasionally shared snacks at the bus stop with the black-and-white, this was after she started following me) and yet both appear to feel some mild affection for me. I don't have a huge knowledge of cats, but even I can tell that the generalizations are flawed.

As for all dogs being slobbering morons... eheheheheh. XD There is such a vast variety in canine personalities that I suspect you could find one to make friends with just about anyone. The sighthounds and Danes in particular that I've met tend to be very graceful, very calm, and rather reserved, as do the Basenjis I've known. There's the exuberant friendliness of the common retriever breeds (which generally puts me off, personally, and it does seem to match stereotypical dogginess), the scrappy I-can-take-you-even-if-you're-twice-my-size attitude of terriers and some toys, the more quietly friendly attitude of the German pointing breeds, and I could go on and on... and even within those breed characteristics, there's lots of individuality.

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2007, 9:34 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
Okay, let's compare cats to dogs.

Dogs come when called by name.
You can teach dogs many tricks.
A dog wagging it's tail means happy, with a cat you don't know what the hell you're getting.
Cats sleep for 16 hours each day, dogs only 10.
Dogs are loyal and friendly, cats only cuddle up to you when they want food or comfort. They use you.
You can take dogs for walks.
Dogs don't run off for days at a time and return only because they are hungry.
Dogs don't have a sandpaper tongue.
Dogs talk more, and their 'voice' isn't whiny like a cats is.

Where the f**k did you get your blatantly incorrect info?

- Cats come when called by name
- Cats can be taught tricks (I've trained mine)
- Cats show they are happy by purring
- Cats are more loyal than dogs. Dogs will love anyone. Dogs are emotionally shallow animals.
- Cats never run away. Dogs, however, once freed, will ussually just keep going.
- The sandpaper toungue is used for grooming. Dogs smell and need bathing. Cats do not.
- My cats are far more verbal than my dogs. Additionally, a dog bark is a repulsive sound.

Quote:
Need I go on? Dogs > Cats.

Need I go on? Cats > Dogs.

Last edited by Ramsus on 04 Jun 2007, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 9:35 pm

I love cats.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 9:48 pm

Ramsus wrote:
Dogs smell .... Cats do not.
is the oposite with my cat and dog :/

I like cats and dogs :) They both have good points and bad! I couldn't imagine living without either!

Last edited by Raph522 on 04 Jun 2007, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 9:50 pm

Yeah, I don't think this should be cats V dogs.
It should be a cat/dog alliance V humans. 8)