It's "I pledge allegiance" not "I pledge of allegiance".

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheNet
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2024, 12:56 pm

I said this before but my post for some reason disappeared. I saw on a website where they said the pledge of allegiance wrong. It's "I pledge allegiance", not "I pledge of allegiance".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:39 pm

Yes.

There is no shortage of illiterate dumb clucks on the Net.

You "pledge allegiance" to whatever it is you have allegiance to. And when you do that for the American flag you are "reciting the Pledge of Allegiance". Starting the POA with the words "I pledge OF allegiance..." makes no sense.

But though grown ups who run website have no excuse for being that brain-dead ... thats one of the problems with forcing grade school kids to recite the POA. Theyre just mumbling words that they dont even know the meaning of. For years I would say "one nation invisible..with liberty and justice for all" until mom explained to me that its "in- di-visible" when I asked her "How can the USA be an invisible nation?Does that mean that you go blind when you drive from Canada to Mexico while you're passing through the US?".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 10:03 pm

"... a toothy republic, four witches' stand..."

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheNet
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2024, 7:24 am

She says the pledge wrong in this YouTube video. She says "I pledge OF allegiance to the flag of the United States of America."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2024, 11:44 am

I live in Canada, so I couldn't care less.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2024, 11:53 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I couldn't care less.

thats also something some people say wrong...they say "i could care less"...which means they care a lil

deception...blinds your perception
my reflection
outshines the other colours in the spectrum

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2024, 4:41 pm

"Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn . . ." -- Cloud William

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 12:03 am

I've never heard anyone say "I pledge of allegiance."

But if they do, I suppose the confusion comes from the name of the statement, which is The Pledge Of Allegiance.

Why is there a thread about this? Are we this hard up on things to talk about? :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 12:09 am

ocean wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I couldn't care less.

thats also something some people say wrong...they say "i could care less"...which means they care a lil

I think the point of I could care less is that it's intended sarcastically, and that means reading it literally misses the context.

The two sayings mean the same thing despite literally opposite meanings.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 12:46 am

Someone (on WP actually) finnally explained to me why some folks say "I could care less". What they are saying is "I dont have to care about X, therefore I wont".

Way back in summer camp when I was a teen around 1970 I even heard a kid in an argument say to another "I could car Joe,I could care". A shorten version of "I could care less" meaning "I could care but I dont". usually the shorten version of slang takes over (like "bling bling" became just "bling"), but I never heard anyone again ever say "I could care!" again. So that variant never caught on.

So "I COULD care less" does have a certain logic to it, but it still sounds dumb to me. I still say its better to say "I couldnt care less".

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 12:50 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ocean wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I couldn't care less.

I think the point of I could care less is that it's intended sarcastically, and that means reading it literally misses the context.

yeah its still wrong fam :flower:

naturalplastic wrote:
Someone (on WP actually) finnally explained to me why some folks say "I could care less". What they are saying is "I dont have to care about X, therefore I wont".

Way back in summer camp when I was a teen around 1970 I even heard a kid in an argument say to another "I could car Joe,I could care". A shorten version of "I could care less" meaning "I could care but I dont". usually the shorten version of slang takes over (like "bling bling" became just "bling"), but I never heard anyone again ever say "I could care!" again. So that variant never caught on.

So "I COULD care less" does have a certain logic to it, but it still sounds dumb to me. I still say its better to say "I couldnt care less".

:wtg:

deception...blinds your perception
my reflection
outshines the other colours in the spectrum

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 May 2024, 8:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:

A teacher at my high-school told us the phrase "I couldn't care less" is wrong because somebody who does not care at all would not be bothered to make a comment about it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 10:33 am

nick007 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

A teacher at my high-school told us the phrase "I couldn't care less" is wrong because somebody who does not care at all would not be bothered to make a comment about it.

That teacher was messed up. If someone wrongly assumes that you give a darn, and talks at you as if you give a darn, then you have to inform the person that "Frankly, Scarlett, I dont give a dam", or "I couldnt care less about XYZ" (or arguabley "I could care..." if you favor that).

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 1:23 pm

"I pledge allegiance to the underworld. One nation under dog, there of which I stand alone."

Lyrics to the Green Day song "Minority".

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 2:22 pm

Ever notice we say we're "indivisible" but at one point we were literally divided into two and went to war with each other?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 2:28 pm

ocean wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ocean wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I couldn't care less.

yeah its still wrong fam :flower:

If it's understood, it's not wrong.

If you only fail to understand because you refuse to accept the generally understood meaning, you're wrong, not the speaker. :nerdy: