Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:24 pm

I know this has little to do with as, but this is the 'random' discussion group....

I have always liked u2, but i want to know..... Is bono legitimate? Is he really a genuinely nice guy, who has no other agendas behind all of his humanity efforts? I always wanted to meet him and see for myself... Is it merely a facade, or is he sincere.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:40 pm

I can't see any reason for his initial motivations not to be sincere. He has made a lot of money so has the time and resources to think about helping others. Whether the fame associated with what he is doing has/will corrupt that initial motivation is another matter.

I think there is often an obvious difference between those who are genuine and those looking for publicity - I admire Sandra Bullock, she gives a lot to charity but asks for it to be secret, it is the charities who sometimes publicise her donations.

I had a 'friend' who was 'religious' and raised money for poor people in Africa which she then used to go to Africa to visit said poor people and brought back lots of photos of herself with them.
She couldn't see why people thought it would have been better for her to use the money to buy supplies and make improvements, or give it to an organised charity that could effectively do these things, rather than travel there herself to 'help' them... :?

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:47 pm

Bono is legit. I have been a U2 fan and Fan Club Member for 25+ years. He has never done anything that would suggest otherwise. He uses his name and publicity to help causes. There is no hidden agenda. Much like Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil. Listen to the songs of both bands and see how they have both lived what they preached with respect to human rights, etc. Admirable individuals.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 12:53 pm

Here's one for ya:

Quote:
Bono, Preacher on Poverty, Tarnishes Halo With Irish Tax Move

By Fergal O'Brien

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Bono, the rock star and campaigner against Third World debt, is asking the Irish government to contribute more to Africa. At the same time, he's reducing tax payments that could help fund that aid.

After Ireland said it would scrap a break that lets musicians and artists avoid paying taxes on royalties, Bono and his U2 bandmates earlier this year moved their music publishing company to the Netherlands. The Dublin group, which Forbes estimates earned $110 million in 2005, will pay about 5 percent tax on their royalties, less than half the Irish rate.

``Among the wealthiest people I suppose it's the norm,'' Jill Cassidy, 23, said on South King Street near a plaque marking the site of Dublin's Dandelion market, where U2 played some of its earliest concerts. ``In U2's position, it does come across as quite hypocritical.''

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2060 ... f6sR60oDgM

He liked being based in Ireland as long as his royalties were tax-free. As economically depressed as Ireland is, you'd think Bono would show a sliver of compassion. :roll:

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2007, 12:59 pm

I agree with Alex. I can't see any alternate motive. To question his sincerity is cynical, and the reserve of political conservatives. Then again, many on the right often doubted the sincerity of MLK in his day. They accused him of being a publicity hound or a front for the communists instead of a man of God with a desire for justice. I can't listen to the words from the last U2 album and believe the man's a fake.

Ireland is not economically depressed. It's being called the "celtic tiger" because of the high tech jobs going there. As far as the tax move, it's the kind of move a manager would make. Besides, if he disagrees with how the Irish government is spending his tax dollars, why should he give them more?

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:12 pm

MeshGearFox wrote:
As far as the tax move, it's the kind of move a manager would make.

The hypothetical 'manager' is Bono's employee . . . right? :roll:

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:12 pm

MeshGearFox wrote:
I agree with Alex. I can't see any alternate motive. To question his sincerity is cynical, and the reserve of political conservatives. Then again, many on the right often doubted the sincerity of MLK in his day. They accused him of being a publicity hound or a front for the communists instead of a man of God with a desire for justice. I can't listen to the words from the last U2 album and believe the man's a fake.

It's quite possible he's fake. There are so many glory hounds out there today I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a real celebrity who cares.

And I am NOT a Conservitive, I AM A LIBERTARIAN GODDAMNIT!

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:25 pm

Flagg wrote:

No, you questioned Bono's sincerity, so you're not only "cynical", but almost certainly a "conservative" as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:27 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
Flagg wrote:

No, you questioned Bono's sincerity, so you're not only "cynical", but almost certainly a "conservative" as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am not cynical, I am a little wary of celebrites and religous figures but I have faith in the common man.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Aug 2007, 1:40 pm

i cant stand U2 or Bono, imho hes completely overrated. sorry

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:43 pm

Flagg wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
Flagg wrote:

I am not cynical, I am a little wary of celebrites and religous figures but I have faith in the common man.

(I was paraphrasing MeshGearFox's comments about anyone who could possibly question Bono's sainthood.)

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:49 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
Flagg wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
Flagg wrote:
And I am NOT a Conservative, I AM A LIBERTARIAN GODDAMNIT!

I am not cynical, I am a little wary of celebrities and religious figures but I have faith in the common man.

(I was paraphrasing MeshGearFox's comments about anyone who could possibly question Bono's sainthood.)

I know, nobodies a saint. Mother Theresa thought she could use the suffering of others to bring her closer to "god".

Gandhi was a racist pedophile obsessed with enemas.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 1:20 am

I am a big U2 fan and I would say he is genuine and passionate have you read U2 by U2 book the story of their career in their own words and Bono is very passionate about his work.

Anyway if you like U2 you should where my username comes from and if you look at my avatar you should recognise who it is.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 6:00 am

oh, of course, mr macphisto..... that's bono's horned devilish character.... His garish caricature of the rock star's evil side.... actually, i dont understand that one,
i do get the corrupt preacher/ rockstar character... His 'fly' character.... or is that his mirrorball character....? ugh

Its a stab towards corruption in the church world and the misfocused superevangelist that threatens to bring ruin to the reputation and the true intended goals of christ... i am not sure if i said that right. I could have the two mixed up, its been a while since i have revisited that series of characters. Is it true that bono is allergic to alcohol now? I know he has quit smoking because he almost lost his voice.

Greed is an ugly monster... a basic characteristic of survival gone terribly awry.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 7:49 am

dawndeleon wrote:
Greed is an ugly monster... a basic characteristic of survival gone terribly awry.

Like tax-dodgers? :twisted:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 12:49 pm

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up

Don't believe in excess
Success is to give
Don't believe in riches
But you should see where I live
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in forced entry
Don't believe in rape
But every time she passes by
Wild thoughts escape
I don't believe in death row
Skid row or the gangs
Don't believe in the Uzi
It just went off in my hand
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in cocaine
Got a speed-ball in my head
I could cut and crack you open
Do you hear what I said
Don't believe them when they tell me
There ain't no cure
The rich stay healthy
The sick stay poor
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant karma's going to get him
If I don't get him first
Don't believe in rock 'n' roll
Can really change the world
As it spins in revolution
It spirals and turns
I...I believe in love

Don't believe in the 60's
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up
Heard a singer on the radio late last night
He says he's gonna kick the darkness
'til it bleeds daylight
I...I believe in love

I feel like I'm falling
Like I'm spinning on a wheel
It always stops beside of me
With a presence I can feel
I...I believe in love

"God Part II," U2

Bono isn't a saint, and he knows it - but he could certianly be a worse human being. The Gateses probably dodge out of their fair shair of taxes too, and have more money than one family can ever need - but they also donate millions to malaria research that other large organizations are ignoring.