Page 4 of 101 [ 1601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 101  Next

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 9:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
When your DOC is whatever's handy it's hard to judge other people. :nerdy:

Yup, pretty much. You can't judge others much when you have the intense temptation to take whatever is offered to you, just because it'll make you not sober. That's like the lowest of lows. :oops: I've still met people like that who rag on people who use specific drugs though, and those people are f*****g stupid. :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 12:32 pm

Someone lectured me on how bad vaping is while they were smoking a cigarette.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2023, 12:40 pm

Reminds me of a Robin Williams joke:

Stoner voice: "Yeah, man... alcohol's like... a crutch"
RW's manic voice: "OK, Captain Herbalife! You just macrame-d yourself to the sofa!'

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2023, 9:31 pm

People who drink Hillrock Estate Whiskey think people who drink Sterno (yes, they do exist) are low bottom drunks. Now I must say that people who drink Sterno may die quicker.
People who are/were addicted to pain pills think people who are/were addicted to Heroin are skid rowers.
People who are/were addicted to powder cocaine think people who are/were addicted to crack are skanks, etc...

And I think it has to do with the people a particular DOC puts you in contact with, or the behaviors associated with particular DOCs. When in reality, unless you're a trust fund baby, the lifestyle associated with drinking or drugging to excess is not sustainable, financially or physically.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2023, 10:35 pm

^yep, for sure. It’s all a big game of DOC “push down, pop up,” much the same as anyone who looks down on others for some other reason like occupation or level of education etc. Some people just gotta insult others to try to prop themselves up in their own minds.

For drug abusers of all kinds they seem to “compare down,” because as long as they can point the finger at some other group they perceive as being worse than them, then they can excuse or justify their own addiction. Without someone or group to “push down,” they can’t “pop (themselves) up,” and feel Ok about their life & choices.

I’ve seen it countless times as a bartender as well as from family and friends with various issues ranging from harmless to extremely.. bad. As long as they can point to someone who’s worse they don’t have to admit to themselves just how bad their own habits are.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 8:36 am

On the Magners cider again today. On offer, 18 cans for £10 at Asda..

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 8:42 am

That's a good deal. Do you like Strongbow

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 8:52 am

babybird wrote:
Used to 30 years ago. Can't drink it now, think they've messed around with it reducing the abv like a lot of my favourite drinks. Used to like Stella and Becks but can't drink them now. Guinness has got more expensive so I'm on the Magners.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 11:52 am

Rossall wrote:
On the Magners cider again today. On offer, 18 cans for £10 at Asda..

355ml cans or 473ml cans? British ciders tend to come in tall cans here.

Even for 355ml that's a really good deal. That's $16.77 CAD. 18 355ml cans of local/domestic cider here would cost more than twice that + sales tax and deposit, so around $43, for tall cans of strongbow would be approx $60. Private liquor stores sell additional brands of cider, including additional British imports I believe but I can't recall what brands or prices.

Local: https://www.bcliquorstores.com/product- ... asc&page=1

Import/Strongbow: https://www.bcliquorstores.com/product- ... asc&page=1

Being an alcoholic here is very, very, expensive. :( Alcoholics need financial support! :P

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 11:55 am

goldfish21 wrote:
355ml cans or 473ml cans? British ciders tend to come in tall cans here.

Even for 355ml that's a really good deal. That's $16.77 CAD. 18 355ml cans of local/domestic cider here would cost more than twice that + sales tax and deposit, so around $43, for tall cans of strongbow would be approx $60. Private liquor stores sell additional brands of cider, including additional British imports I believe but I can't recall what brands or prices.

Being an alcoholic here is very, very, expensive. :( Alcoholics need financial support! :P

440ml cans. Pretty much as cheap as alcohol gets and nice tasting cider. 4.5% abv. Good for a good long session..

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 12:11 pm

Rossall wrote:
babybird wrote:
Used to 30 years ago. Can't drink it now, think they've messed around with it reducing the abv like a lot of my favourite drinks. Used to like Stella and Becks but can't drink them now. Guinness has got more expensive so I'm on the Magners.

I like Strongbow Dark Fruits but it goes down way too easy

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 12:39 pm

babybird wrote:
I like Strongbow Dark Fruits but it goes down way too easy

Yes, I quite like that but a bit pricey. BTW. good idea making this thread a sticky bb. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 12:57 pm

Yeah well I did something good for once mate.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 1:17 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah well I did something good for once mate.
Yea, I know the feeling. :?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 2:12 pm

I remember when I could go on a night out with 20 quid, get absolutely rat arsed and come home with more money than I went out with and it was this century so it's not that long ago.

These days you have to take out a second mortgage to get a carry out from the off licence.

And I can remember when the off licence was call the outdoor. That was last century though.

Yes I think I've been a piss head for quite a while.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2023, 2:59 pm

20 GBP is still enough $ for enough alcohol to die, never mind just get drunk, IF you buy a bottle from a liquor store and down it.

But as for drinks in pubs or clubs, that would buy approximately 2-3 drinks depending on where you go and how much you tip.

I can usually count the number of drinks I buy out at bars or restaurants each year on my fingers. So, the other night when I decided to stop at a gay pub downtown for a pint before I rode home the pint was something like $8.50 and most people would pay $10 but I paid $15 as the place was fairly dead and I know the bartender wasn’t making much money that night at all. Also, if I tip well on the first drink and then don’t buy another I at least get great service for any water/soda water I want to drink for the rest of the night.

To go out and get truly hammered drunk you’ll spend $100+ quite easily. Not nearly as many people do that these days as they did 20 years ago as we have the strictest drunk driving rules in the world at 0.05 And regular working people just don’t have that sort of budget considering the cost of housing and food etc.

But that gay pub is actually under renovation and expanding in size by about 35% or so as they’ve taken over the lease of the space next door. Old gay guys with no kids can afford burgers and beers still.