Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jul 2023, 4:15 pm

Do guns kill people?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:35 pm

Not of their own volition.  Unless run by AI, a gun cannot load itself, aims itself, and fire itself.

It takes a demented, deranged criminal to pick up a gun, load it, aim it, fire it, and use it to kill people.

It is not the gun nuts we have to fear; it is the nuts with guns.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 6:55 pm

If a gun was precariously placed on the edge of a tall building and a gust of wind blew it off, and it hit someone on the head at terminal velocity, the answer would be - probably :jester:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:09 pm

Recidivist wrote:
If a gun was precariously placed on the edge of a tall building and a gust of wind blew it off, and it hit someone on the head at terminal velocity, the answer would be - probably.
Never conflate probability with certainty.  Such an arrangement is so full of hypothetical coincidences that it seems like one of those stories my kids used to tell to avoid taking responsibility for something they did.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:14 pm

^ I did not place that gun on the edge of the building, and there's not a court in the land that could prove it. :P

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 7:19 pm

On More Serious note:
thought of Some Philosophy here.."Its not the Gun that takes the Life,But the"Life" of the one weilding the gun" :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2023, 7:26 pm

A gun is just a tool like a hammer or a car. These are all things that can make life easier if used wisely by responsible people and they can kill if used badly. Negligence, laziness, stupidity, selfishness, too much pride, not enough self-control, and many other bad qualities that are common in people today are a bad combination with a tool that is as powerful as a gun.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 9:11 pm

Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
...often with guns.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2023, 9:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
It is not the gun nuts we have to fear; it is the nuts with guns.

It's a shame how often they're synonymous.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 2:28 am

Nah; it's usually bullets that do it. And even then, their technical cause of death won't be documented as "bullet killed 'im." It'll say something along the lines of bleeding out, or critical organ damage resulting in failure etc etc.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 6:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
...often with guns.

In Oslo they use knifes instead and there was a machete incident now

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 8:54 am

collectoritis wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Guns don't kill people.
People kill people.
...often with guns.

In Oslo they use knifes instead and there was a machete incident now

The same goes for China. But, I have yet to hear of a single incident where somebody managed to murder dozens of people with a bladed instrument.

The point of bans and restrictions isn't to keep the murder rate at 0, it's to remove the most convenient method for doing so. The worst ever incidences of mass murder all involved explosives of some sort whether dynamite or airplane fuel, but they're also extremely difficult to execute as well, making them very unpopular as a method and much easier to stop.

Meanwhile on the 4th we had more than a dozen massshooter events that killed at least 20 and injured over a hundred, and I didn't hear about a single intentional explosives related casualty.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jul 2023, 10:27 am

Guns kill people by some people using the guns in very irresponsible ways so I vote Yes that guns do kill people. However guns are NOT the reason some people decide to use guns to kill. This poll is about semantics & preference of exact wording.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 10:51 am

nick007 wrote:
Guns kill people by some people using the guns in very irresponsible ways so I vote Yes that guns do kill people. However guns are NOT the reason some people decide to use guns to kill. This poll is about semantics & preference of exact wording.

Exactly.

Fact Also is that without such easy access to guns, nuts can't kill people with them so incredibly easily. So, more guns strewn about e v e r y w h e r e and in the hands of people who should Never have them = more deaths via gun violence, regardless of whether you want to blame the gun, the bullet, or the shooter. Eliminate the cornucopia of guns and the death count goes down.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2023, 11:19 am

Pardon my pun, but that is a loaded question. I don't know how to answer it. I don't know how you'll take it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jul 2023, 11:39 am

goldfish21 wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Exactly.

Fact Also is that without such easy access to guns, nuts can't kill people with them so incredibly easily. So, more guns strewn about e v e r y w h e r e and in the hands of people who should Never have them = more deaths via gun violence, regardless of whether you want to blame the gun, the bullet, or the shooter. Eliminate the cornucopia of guns and the death count goes down.
I agree but I don't think gun laws should be the main focus. Very little gets done to regulate guns despite all the activism supporting it. Besides Japan has strict gun laws & last year former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was killed by a homemade zip gun. I think it'll be better to switch the activism focus from the losing war on gun control to the reasons why people decide to kill. Address income inequality, lack of quality mental health care & health care in general, bullying, & the failed war on drugs, to name a few.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition