Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:12 pm

The most recent announcement on the topic said fines would quadruple for truckers that hit overpasses. Obviously not enough of a deterrent for them to do their jobs and make sure their dump boxes are down before driving.

Commercial drivers licences should be revoked for life IMO. Zero is the number of times they should be allowed to hit overpasses and keep their licence.

We must be the world capital for overpasses getting hit by trucks.. it’s like 6+ times in the last couple years. Nuts.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:20 pm

A truck that hit an overpass? funny :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:44 pm

belijojo wrote:

..again. It has happened several times in the last couple years it’s completely ridiculous.

I heard that during a transition period of changing requirements for commegival drivers licences a whole bunch of students were pushed through and given licences without learning what they were supposed to or being properly tested. That’s a possible explanation for how many trucks have hit overpasses lately.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
belijojo wrote:

..again. It has happened several times in the last couple years it’s completely ridiculous.

I heard that during a transition period of changing requirements for commegival drivers licences a whole bunch of students were pushed through and given licences without learning what they were supposed to or being properly tested. That’s a possible explanation for how many trucks have hit overpasses lately.

Very sloppy and haphazard approach. Make me laugh

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:58 pm

Yep.

Sloppy, haphazard.. untrained unskilled and/or sleep deprived and/or intoxicated.

Bunch of f*****g clowns.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 1:44 am

So...in Canada...dump truck drivers just...drive around with the dump boxes in the up position?

But drivers in every other nation on earth, including the neighboring US, know not to do that?

They do their business...dump the contents...and always just forget to lower it back?

I think I asked you this before and Ive forgotten what your answer was, but...

wouldnt that f**k up the quality of the highway drive? Doesnt the raised box mess up the aerodynamics in an obvious way (slow the truck, even shake the truck, and lower the mileage) that the driver would immediately notice?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:01 am

No, driving around with a dump box up is not a standard operating procedure in Canada or even locally.

These idiots just keep forgetting to lower it and make sure it’s lowered before driving down the highway. It’s happened several times in the last couple years.

They must all be high af or something. Or just stupid. I dunno but they should be beyond embarrassed.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:09 am

We have a bridge in Melbourne that is notorious for trucks running into it. Ten times this year so far!

https://howmanydayssincemontaguestreetbridgehasbeenhit.com/

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:12 am

Is it partly because the bridge is too low?

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:15 am

Yes, but there are plenty of warning signs before the bridge.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:19 am

That's what I thought of when I saw the title

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:20 am

belijojo wrote:
Is it partly because the bridge is too low?

No. They’ve hit a few different ones. They’re not too low and trucks haven’t gotten taller. It’s 100% because they’re f*****g morons and leave the dump box straight up in the air and drive off site and down the highway and are completely oblivious until they strike an overpass and damage it and their truck and cause traffic delays for a day or more as repairs are completed.

These are not low overpasses. The one that was hit today is fairly new, too. Built plenty high enough for every commercial vehicle to pass beneath it - and we have very tall commercial vehicles here.. Peterbilt sleeper cabs and similar. The problem is not the overpasses, it’s inattentive dump truck drivers driving with the box up.

They lift it to dump their load and probably drive a bit, on their civil construction site, to dump out the last remaining bit of sand/dirt/gravel etc while in motion and then once they’re done the dumping process they completely forget to lower the box again before they drive off. I don’t know what their training dictates, but I bet they are Also neglecting to get out of the cab and do a walk around to make sure everything is good.. safety chains in place, lights didn’t get smashed by unloading gravel etc.

It’s because they are making stupid errors, not because the roads aren’t designed for the trucks. No overpass is designed for a dump truck with its box up to pass by.. trucks aren’t supposed to be driven like that.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:21 am

Got it, some idiot

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Dec 2023, 3:40 am

There really needs to be some kinda device that restricts the truck's speed when their bucket is up. The the trucks do not need to go more than 15 miles an hour on the job site.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 4:07 am

nick007 wrote:
There really needs to be some kinda device that restricts the truck's speed when their bucket is up. The the trucks do not need to go more than 15 miles an hour on the job site.

Probably has been thought of but never implemented because truck builders figured no one is stupid enough to drive it down a highway with the dumb box up.. but maybe not and maybe someone needs to install such a device.

Or maybe they already exist along with alarms and things and they just rip them out so they don’t have to listen to annoying beeping.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Dec 2023, 5:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Probably has been thought of but never implemented because truck builders figured no one is stupid enough to drive it down a highway with the dumb box up.. but maybe not and maybe someone needs to install such a device.

Or maybe they already exist along with alarms and things and they just rip them out so they don’t have to listen to annoying beeping.
If that feature existed it seems like something insurances would encurage to reduce accidents. I don't know why drivers would want to disable that feature if there would be no noise involved since there's no reason to drive down a highway with the bucket up. If we had connections we might could make money promoting this idea :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition