Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RRguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2007, 9:32 pm

Hi, I am an aspie from the usa. I would like to know how you feel towards Irish and German people. I heard that The british hate Irish and germans for political and religious reasons.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 9:35 pm

...Im from usa too and I can tell you thats just a rumor :wink: If anything, those are the reasons they dont like us lol

Last edited by username88 on 23 Aug 2007, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 9:44 pm

Do you believe everything you hear then?
Hate is a strong word.
And Britain is a large country.

iHATEas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2007, 11:20 pm

you cant believe everything you hear, use ya brain

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 6:11 am

I hope you don't believe everything you're told.

The British don't hate the Irish. You might end up with a few bigots who don't like them but it's the same in any country. In fact, a lot of British people don't see the Irish Republic as being an entirely foreign country due to Britain's long relationship with it. Northern Ireland is still part of the UK in any case.

Germany? We don't hate the Germans. If anything, many people are more resentful of Polish and other Eastern Europeans for flooding Britain too many too fast.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 6:26 am

Tequila wrote:
I hope you don't believe everything you're told.

The British don't hate the Irish. You might end up with a few bigots who don't like them but it's the same in any country. In fact, a lot of British people don't see the Irish Republic as being an entirely foreign country due to Britain's long relationship with it. Northern Ireland is still part of the UK in any case.

Germany? We don't hate the Germans. If anything, many people are more resentful of Polish and other Eastern Europeans for flooding Britain too many too fast.

I agree completely.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:45 am

The truth is Ireland is the country in Europe that Britain has most affinity with.We've never needed a passport to go there and vice versa.I've always found the Irish friendly and
for those of us in Scotland the links are even closer as the Scots were originally a tribe from Ireland. There is a small minority in both countries who have warped ideas about sectarian issues but good overcomes evil.
As for Germany,it's a major trading partner and ally.There is probably some good-natured sporting rivalry especially in England but that's all really.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:58 am

Tequila wrote:
Germany? We don't hate the Germans...

I always think of this in relation to Germans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbeT7_ARm8

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:59 am

The opposite applies too. I'm American of German descent and have a strong interest in famous people from England.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Aug 2007, 9:06 am

ascan wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Germany? We don't hate the Germans...

I always think of this in relation to Germans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbeT7_ARm8

We saw this old German man in a Hotel elevator in Los Angeles
when I was a kid . My dad tried to talk to him and the German
said "no speak English". My dad then tried to use gestures to find where he was from. The German said "Germany". As the elevator door opened and the German got off on his floor my a$$hole father
did the Nazi salute and said "Hiel Hitler".

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 24 Aug 2007, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:07 am

I :heart: the Irish, and am neutral with the Germans. :)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:26 am

They do? Oh.

I can't think of a single person I have ever met or known that has said they hate the Irish or Germans and I am quite old, well, middle-aged anyway.

I have two German friends and one of them I love very much. I don't really consider the Irish as being much different from the British since there is a lot of shared stuff, like language, skin colour, similar geography to England, etc etc.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:28 am

Most people are not involved or don't really know much about Northern Ireland. It is not something the public actually things about. The deadlock is mostly between nationalist and republican sectarian factions in Northern Ireland, it is a very sad situation but there has been some glimmers of hope recently. It is much more complicated situation than meets the eye. Generally we get on very well with the irish and are sympathetic towards them. In a way we probably get on better with the irish than we do with the scots and even that is greatly exaggerated. There has always been a strong Irish community in many of our cities.

Travel between the countries is continual.

Unfortunately that message didn't cross the pond. And some politicians and people there though it was a good idea to support and fund terrorists, thus prolonging the conflict.

The Germans it is purely to do with football. It isn't a hate at all, it is pure sports rivalry. Of course it has to do with the history. But no one except the most hardened nutters actually believes that modern Germany is still stuck in WW2.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 9:35 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
...did the Nazi salute and said "Hiel Hitler"...

Rather embarrassing for you, TheMachine1. While we're on national stereotypes, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHh3ykPQEl4

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 11:40 am

0_equals_true wrote:
In a way we probably get on better with the irish than we do with the scots and even that is greatly exaggerated

Er...Wasn't the question directed towards British aspies ?Most of us Scots are actually happy
to be British as well you know,as the Prime Minister will confirm :wink:

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 12:45 pm

Well, a musical hero of mine is Irish, and as for Germans - I like their football. So there's no disliking towards them by me. :D