Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 3:50 pm

What defines a smirk?

It seems my whole life, people have been calling my smile ("smile"?) one. . . when I was a kid, and then again recently.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2007, 4:19 pm

I've been told I smirk a lot. It's kinda a half-smile...

ITypically
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2007, 5:09 pm

I remember laughing hysterically over my 10th grade school picture oh so long ago. I had been in a bad mood that day and instead of smiling I just kind of smirked at the camera. If I recall I was wearing a black sweater and there was a gray background, so I looked downright evil. :D Best picture I've ever been proud to show off!

Usually I have trouble getting myself to STOP smiling. I'll be emotionless one second, then I think of something funny and suddenly have this big grin on my face. It tends to throw people off a bit.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Usually I have trouble getting myself to STOP smiling. I'll be emotionless one second, then I think of something funny and suddenly have this big grin on my face. It tends to throw people off a bit.

That is me exactly too, lol. Only, I try and stop myself smiling and then, of course, it does look like a smirk.

The number of times my mother would ask what I was smirking at, when often it was an unwanted reaction to stress etc.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2007, 6:41 pm

When the eyes are dead but the mouth curls up into a grin, that is when the smirk makes its presence known.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 1:55 am

ITypically wrote:
I remember laughing hysterically over my 10th grade school picture oh so long ago. I had been in a bad mood that day and instead of smiling I just kind of smirked at the camera. If I recall I was wearing a black sweater and there was a gray background, so I looked downright evil. :D Best picture I've ever been proud to show off!

Can I see?

I would post mine, but I have no pictures of my "smirk" without others in them who wouldn't want their picture up. . .

skippy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2007, 8:10 am

I do that no smile then think of something funny and hold in the smile and get a smirk. People do think I am weird. But so are they!

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2007, 10:31 am

Quote:

That happens to me a lot.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:43 am

I have one mean smile. :D lol

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 12:11 pm

got to love wikipedia for these sorts of things

smirk (from the Old English smercian, "smile") refers to a smile evoking insolence, scorn, or offensive smugness. "A constant smirk upon the face, and a whiffling activity of the body, are strong indications of futility," the Earl of Chesterfield once wrote in a letter to his son. A smirk also refers to a fine piece of dust when it enters the eye. This often leads to an uncomfortable feeling, and results in the sufferer searching in their eye to remove the foreign item. Coincidentally this can cause the sufferer to pull a face similar to that of a smirk, hence the name.