Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2021, 12:23 pm

Do any of you have a Reddit account and if you do, do you feel like there is a sense of mob mentality on the site? As you know, Reddit is composed of different forums discussing certain things which are known as subreddits. You can accumulate what is known as karma with the things that you comment and post on. Users can either upvote or downvote your posts and comments. I get on Reddit everyday and post videos and news articles that I find relevant to a certain subreddit. I also leave comments under certain posts and give my opinion. Whenever I give my opinion on something and isn't popular with the majority in that particular subreddit, I get downvoted to oblivion and I get called names and personally attacked by other users of that subreddit. Redditors can't seem to agree to disagree with things. You either have to agree with them 100% or they start attacking you and sometimes the moderators will ban you from that particular subreddit. The people on Reddit don't want to have a healthy, open minded debate. They just resort to personal attacks and name calling whenever you say or post something that they don't agree with.

Blueberry_Muffin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

I don't have a Reddit account. I much prefer internet forums like these ones. I hate how every message on Reddit has a number beside it. It psychologically influences what people will think of a message before they read it and be more likely to agree or disagree based on that number.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 2:40 pm

I don't have an account, but I do browse fandom related subreddits and AskReddit/AskEurope occasionally. I haven't seen much toxicity but I know Reddit has a reputation for that.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

19 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm

I look on quite a lot but rarely post because I'm not keen on the voting thing. It can be very toxic so I mostly try to stick to subs that don't seem too bad. Like Blueberry_Muffin I prefer normal forums.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 6:26 pm

I don't find it toxic, I just find that it has a lack of focus to get any productive discussion done. It's all hit-and-run, and nobody ever returns to follow up on discussion.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 8:27 pm

It's better than twitter.

I like the lack of character limit.

I have had 3 accounts.

1 I crash and burned on.
1 I outgrew (this was my first one)
1 which is my current.

What separates the crash and burn one from the current one is that I have set myself a rule which is no looking at karma.

The comments and feed back I get doing this is nicer as well as just whatever the hell my karma is.

It's just fake internet points so as far as the points go I don't care what I get. I don't like people being rude and trying to stir arguments though.

I'm also pickier about what subs I'm on.

Only negative to it is that I got gold :D And the person didn't send me a message :( So I only got a day out of it rather than a whole week :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 11:41 pm

I don't have a Reddit account. I don't really want one, either. I'd rather be here where the Sweet Peas are.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 12:08 am

While I use Reddit occasionally to look something up, I've never had an account or felt the need to post anything. I wouldn't say it's anymore toxic than the Youtube comment section, but that is a pretty low bar I guess.

XEmoCatX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 7:01 am

It depends on what subreddit you’re in. Some of them are toxic and others are not.

Avoid subreddits that you find toxic and join friendly ones.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:06 am

My impression of Reddit was that it seems to be more like social media than older style forums like WP.

i think that is a bad thing and social media is definitely toxic in general.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:44 am

Only if I pay attention to certain subs and posts. Maybe even particular usernames...

It's where I occasionally look for anecdotes.

But it's not enough to convince me to get a reddit account. The same with twitter, tumblr, tiktok... Only had YouTube account on accident (stupid google login)...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:05 pm

I no longer have an account on Reddit, and while I do browse some of the more harmless subs, many of them are highly toxic.

Even though more than half of redditors are not from the USA, Americans have gone bonkers with their politics, posting political-related garbage on subs that aren't supposed to be about political garbage at all.

Subs that are about gender are nearly always incredibly misogynistic or misandrist.

There's an sub for child free people where they just have severe hatred for anyone who has children, even if they wanted children and love and care for them. Really gives child free people a bad name.

There's another sub for atheists which is just as hateful towards religious people. Really gives atheism a bad name.

The majority of redditors also seem to think women don't exist on reddit at all, or the internet in general. But if a redditor does mention she is female, she can expect to receive many pictures of the male anatomy and other creepy stuff.

Social media? More like antisocial media. Of course, many redditors are in denial :cry: that reddit is social media and only other social media is bad.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:44 pm

^ I have noticed that also. Some of the folks on Reddit seem to think that Reddit is somehow 'different' or special in relation to other social media, even though it has many similarities to the most popular platforms.

LittleBeach
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Yesterday, 12:56 pm

Yeah I think Reddit is really toxic. On most subs you will get shamed if you have an opinion different from the majority, and people are really rude. I read Reddit for entertainment value but don’t bother participating any more, and I don’t take Redditors opinions as a reflection of society overall (people with different opinions generally learn to stay quiet on Reddit)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:53 pm

I haven't got a Reddit account, but I've "lurked" there often enough, usually reading about technical things, which don't attract a lot of acrimony, except for angry outbursts at Microsoft etc., which is forgiveable. I've also seen a bit of stuff about politics and general matters, but I've not seen any serious anger there and they don't seem to get very personal, they just lampoon everything in sight, which I often find amusing in a Beavis And Butthead kind of way. But I guess it depends where you go.

It seems to be human nature for a homogenous group to attack individuals who say things that aren't in line with their views, especially if it's politics or religion.

Incidentally, I always use this kind of private front-end to Reddit:

https://libreddit.kavin.rocks/

I presume from the fact that somebody's bothered to create it, that Reddit is harvesting everything we look at and say there. And in my case, Reddit doesn't like my security and privacy plugins, and shows nothing at all unless I disable them, while the front-end just lets me in. You'd probably need a plugin such as Privacy Redirect to automatically switch ordinary Reddit URLs to private ones.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 10:19 am

For some reason, it seems half the posters on Reddit claim to be autistic, although that may just reflect the sort of content that attracts my interest.