Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 3:32 am

I have a sleep deprived eeg in about 5 hours - I haven;t been allowed to sleep since 9:30 last night. I'm not sure I'm going to make it the full 12 hours

The thing that gets me is the reason I have this eeg is because I told the neurologist I was so tired I needed a 6 hour nap every day, and that was without doing anything more exhausting than going downstairs to eat.

Luckily I've been pretty good with staying awake most of the day the past few days. Just 5 days ago I couldn't have begun to stay awake for 8 hours straight, let alone 12.

I know in the long run this will help me, but why would you order somene to stay awake all night when their complaint is that they have to sleep most of the day and night? sometimes the world doesn;t make much sense

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 8:07 am

maybe the reason they are trying to make sleep deprived is to see what is going on with brain activity during that time?
do they think it's seizures?
if it's something like that,even very tiny ones,they can make very tired,sick etc,and they can also be brought on by being sleep deprived.

it will be better if they give a portable eeg machine rather than force to sit on a chair for a while doing nothing,though that might depend on how long the eeg is.

it should be the start to finding out what the cause is which is worth all the head scraping and being in hospital.

just a thought but have had sugar level checked?
am live with a diabetic who will go to sleep when his sugar level is low.

and is coincidence,am had an eeg last wedsday,had to stay in till friday with a portable eeg on.
if have not gone through one before,make sure to bring enough distractions,and hair is not tangled/messed otherwise it will be really bad when they try to get the electrodes on,though if its a short basic eeg,they might ask to close eyes for a while and breathe deeply,and then open,then close etc.then look into a flashing light etc. the long stay eeg is less hard.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 8:14 am

i have also been taken egg..i loved to stay up all nigth..and in morning i was seriously near to faint :lol: its not taking even long to take that..and u have to stay 12 hours for it? :P

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 3:03 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
maybe the reason they are trying to make sleep deprived is to see what is going on with brain activity during that time?
do they think it's seizures?
if it's something like that,even very tiny ones,they can make very tired,sick etc,and they can also be brought on by being sleep deprived.

it will be better if they give a portable eeg machine rather than force to sit on a chair for a while doing nothing,though that might depend on how long the eeg is.

it should be the start to finding out what the cause is which is worth all the head scraping and being in hospital.

just a thought but have had sugar level checked?
am live with a diabetic who will go to sleep when his sugar level is low.

and is coincidence,am had an eeg last wedsday,had to stay in till friday with a portable eeg on.
if have not gone through one before,make sure to bring enough distractions,and hair is not tangled/messed otherwise it will be really bad when they try to get the electrodes on,though if its a short basic eeg,they might ask to close eyes for a while and breathe deeply,and then open,then close etc.then look into a flashing light etc. the long stay eeg is less hard.

I've had my sugar checked three times since April 6. One was fasting, one happened within minutes of me being dizzy, and the other happened about 30-40 minutes after the dizziness spell. All were normal. I also had two CBCs, a thyroid test, some other blood work whose meanings I can never remember, a pregnancy test (though it was imposisble for me to be pregnant), CT scan, MRI.

So far I know just as much about my problem as I would have, had I completely ignored all medical attention. I was told I had a candida infection, but when I asked for a copy of the paper work, it had someone elses social security number on it. So chances are it wasn't my test results.

just to be safe, I bought an over-the-counter treatment for candida and went on the candida diet. I did notice that my tiredness does appear to be somewhat related to food. But I don't yet have enough energy to truly test that out, and see which foods I need to stay away from. I've also notice my emotions are effected by the food I eat, which is common in thyroid problems, but my ths level is only like .28 above the number endocrinologists recommend treatment for, and still well within the range most doctors consider normal. Butter seems to be making me both phsyically and emotionally unwell but I've only ate it twice since I started this diet and I usually never have butter in the first place. That's not a great basis to determine if there is a real correlation or if its just coincidence

Right now they don't think its seizures. I made the first appointment with the neurologist because the ER doctor recommended it since he was completely clueless about the cause. Prior to seeing her, I did experience one day where I felt I was having aura's. It wasn't the same feeling I used to get, but the way the feeling came over me was the same. I told the neurologist about that and she said she wasn't going to put me on medicine for only having minor seizures over one day when I just went about 12 years without any. She doesn't seem to think the exhaustion is related to seizure activity. The MRI was because of the exhaustion and the EEG because of the day with seizures. I'll see her on thursday to discuss the results.

I'm also glad to learn that the chest pain and hand numbess I was experiencing a week or so ago are the result of carpal tunnel, which developed because I didn't have energy to do anything more exhausting than casually browse the internet (and even that exhausted me). I was scared to death that I was having a heart attack. I have a cousin who had a heart attack when he was 21 so I know its possible for young people to get them. And added to that i have a heart murmur which makes heart problems a little more dangerous