Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bester
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm

Hi,
Long time reader, occasional poster. I'm hoping to post more often, if I can overcome my shyness.
Anyway, I moved into my first appartment 7 months ago and I'm finally able to get a sofa.

However, I cannot decide whether to get a leather or fabric 3 seater sofa with 2 single chairs . My walls are cream and I'm thinking of getting a light brown carpet with chocolate coloured vertical blinds. I hear brown is very popular these days.

I'm 29 and have suffered from agoraphobia most of my life, so I have not seen many living rooms to use as a point of reference. My main source of reference has been TV. Black goes with everything and leather is easy to clean, but fabric is softer and more cosy. I have no friends, but when I get some, I want them to enjoy relaxing at my place.

Please help
Thanks

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

I would go with leather myself, just cause I think it's more comfortable, but I think you should pick what you find more comfortable. I also think brown is a very good color and might go with the rest of your decor.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 7:52 pm

That's a tough one. It really boils down to your personal likes and dislikes. Personally, I think black leather sofas scream 1980. Tan leather sofas are much more modern and just as manly. I also think leather is just as comfortable as fabric, unless you are in shorts and it is 100 degrees in the house. If I could afford it, I would have a leather sofa. I'm sick of shampooing mine.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

I prefer soft fabrics and leather and cats do not play well together.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:33 pm

I wouldn't get leather. Doesn't it require periodic conditioning?

Leather also has a plasticy feel (relative to fabric) that I don't like much. I do think leather has some very good uses, but furniture cushion coverings is not one of them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:43 pm

Bester wrote:
Hi,
Long time reader, occasional poster. I'm hoping to post more often, if I can overcome my shyness.
Anyway, I moved into my first appartment 7 months ago and I'm finally able to get a sofa.

However, I cannot decide whether to get a leather or fabric 3 seater sofa with 2 single chairs . My walls are cream and I'm thinking of getting a light brown carpet with chocolate coloured vertical blinds. I hear brown is very popular these days.

I'm 29 and have suffered from agoraphobia most of my life, so I have not seen many living rooms to use as a point of reference. My main source of reference has been TV. Black goes with everything and leather is easy to clean, but fabric is softer and more cosy. I have no friends, but when I get some, I want them to enjoy relaxing at my place.

Please help
Thanks

Hi Bester, I'll try to be your friend.

The couch, which is also my bed, has fabric rather than leather.

Also, I have seen leather couches that are tan, brown, and bleach-white.

Hope you may have many friends.

Ben

Edit: ah, not asking what we have. I recommend fabric.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:00 pm

Hi Bester! Welcome. 8)

Go with the one you would be most comfortable relaxing on and I don't think you can go wrong. :wink:

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:03 pm

My sofa is microfiber suede (read: fake suede) and I LOVE it.

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:04 pm

Microfiber is really cool actually. My office chair is microfiber and I absolutely love it. My old one was leather and I absolutely loved that one too.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2008, 9:04 pm

I love brown, it is my favorite color! I have a leather sofa, and I love it! It is sooo comfortable! But I would also like a really nice and soft fabric sofa too. I can never make up my mind, they both seem comfy too me. And my answer does not really help :P

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:51 pm

I really dislike leather furniture. I hate how leather feels on the skin, and the furniture never keeps its shape - I like to be able to lie down and relax, not have to constantly shift around until it retains a form that I like. Once I move out, I want to get furniture that's firm, but with a soft surface. I have funky tastes, though. Once I find a home I'm going to do it up eighties-style.

Bester
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2008, 2:18 pm

Wow,
Thanks for all the great responses.
My cousin is visiting tomorrow I'll ask her if she will take me to the leather shop one last time.
I think I'll pick fabric but I want to clear all doubt from my mind first.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 1:38 pm

I don't like leather furniture for sensory reasons =/ Too cold and hard.

But whatever you're into. Leather seems to be popular these days, I see it all the time out shopping, and in commercials.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 3:29 pm

Bester, you can get leather in just about any shade of the rainbow from bright white to black & almost anything in between! I have seen sky blue, purple, red, green, etc. (No throwing fruits or veggies my way! I like classic colors personally!) I have a dark chocolate brown leather sofa & I am spoiled rotten! It's a thicker leather, but also soft & very comfy! Yes it needs conditioning which I do about 3 times a year to maintain it. Yes it can fade, but so can fabric. The only thing that I would change is that I ordered it with standard firmness seat cushions. I wish I had gone with firmer cushions. I don't recommend getting leather furniture from China though....the quality is not very good.

I personally prefer classic colors that go into any decor. My furniture is my anchor in the room. Becuase the color is "neutral," I can dress it up with any color throw pillows. Leather is not necessarily cold...it's cool to the touch, but warms to your body temperature. In winter it is cooler, in summer it is warmer, but you don't stick to it like you would vinyl unless it's a bicast leather. Fabrics can be really itchy or otherwise uncomfortable depending on the type, & they also get dirty.

Good luck to you! Let us know what you choose!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

Personally I'd go with real leather. Fabric rubs me the wrong way.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

Some leathers stick to my skin quite funny; especially nude.