But it doesn't expire till December

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

23 Aug 2008, 12:48 am

I have been subscribed to Nintendo Power since 2002. Well my subscription doesn't expire till December they told me because I asked on the phone. But since June they have been sending me the renewal mail for me to renew my subscription. I figured they wanted me to renew it early so I ignored it. Then I get another one in July and I ignore that one and then I get one again this month and I ignore that one. But I got another one today and it was a thread this time, they told me it was a final notice and my subscription will be suspended if I don't pay. WTF. They told me it expires in December so why the hell are they threatening me now and sending me the renewal letter since the beginning of June?

I am going to call them Monday and ask what is going on. I have never seen this before. When your subscription expires, they don't send you anymore issues unless you renew. They even tell you it's your last issue or they send you something in the mail telling you it's going to expire and to renew it. I know you don't have to renew if you don't want to continue getting the issues. But this threat and wanting an early payment is ridiculous. Even the place in Washington didn't act this way but in 2007 they quit working on Nintendo Power and now another company does it. Instead of calling the Nintendo place in WA, you call another number that is in Indiana which is the Nintendo Power customer care.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 24 Aug 2008, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:55 am

It's worse when Social Security does that to you and claims you owe them $10,000
6.02*10^23 phone calls later and you finally get things straightened out. :?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:09 am

Dont they usualy say in the notices that it expires at this date?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:12 pm

No idea.

Back when we used to get it, we just got one warning.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 7:37 pm

Ridiculous!

Threat them back! Tell them to stop the letters or you'll sue them for mental stress and whatever comes to your mind.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:32 am

Call them up and explain the situation. If that gets you nowhere, write them a letter explaining the situation, enclose a copy of the address label showing the expiration date, and tell them that if they don't remedy the situation you will report them to the postmaster for mail fraud. Keep copies of all correspondence. If they don't comply, report them. You probably won't have to; companies usually get scared when you mention mail fraud.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous companies that use this and similar tactics to get people to renew or subscribe. They count on the customer not knowing or not remembering when or if they've renewed or subscribed. They usually target senior citizens or children.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

26 Aug 2008, 2:31 am

Well, I called them and I told them I have been getting the letters telling me to renew my issues but I asked back in the spring when do they expire and they said December. Turns out they meant the issue, not the month. They did not say the issue so I thought they meant it expires in December because I asked when it expires. I do not know if this is a literal thing or a misunderstanding meaning anyone would have had that misunderstanding. Even my boyfriend said he would have thought they also meant the month but he is literal too but not as bad as I am.

I get my last issue in October which will be the December issue and the lady told me I will keep getting those nasty grams because they want me to pay. That means their threat was just a bluff. I told her when people don't renew their issues, they stop sending them to them and she said that is true and that was when she told me the nasty grams keep being sent to me because they want me to renew. But I only had one. So I renewed my issue since I love Nintendo Power. It's cheaper to be subscribed than buying them in a store. You save money on each issue.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 9:33 pm

Yes, magazines do send out issues earlier than you would think, e.g. a monthly magazine would send out the August issue in July. I can understand how you would get confused by that in a telephone conversation, especially when some people are imprecise in their speech.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

26 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

I think the guy misunderstood me when I asked when my magazine expires. He didn't take the question literal so he said December instead of October. Because I wanted to know the month my subscription expires, I thought he gave me the answer, so we both misunderstood each other.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:13 pm

a common thing

I used to get White Dwarf, and got 2 of an issue one month lol

26 Aug 2008, 10:19 pm

I already knew magazines are at least a month ahead. Nintendo Power tends to be two months ahead. I just got my October issue in the mail today. But I don't think they come to stores till September.

I hate it when people don't take me literal because they think there are lines to read between when there aren't any.
I can imagine myself working for a magazine company and somebody calls me regarding their subscription and they ask me when it expires. I take the question literal and tell them the month it expires in. The person thinks their subscription expires before that month because they thought I meant the issue.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

yeah people sometimes get overly concerned about that
and think everything has hidden meanings
which not everything does

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:28 pm

It sounds like they didn't train their customer service people very well. Most places I've worked, they've told us to be specific so that they don't get sued when someone misunderstands us. The person you spoke to should have said it expired with the December issue.

26 Aug 2008, 11:12 pm

Or tell me my last issue will be in October.