Page 9 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

Relicanth7 wrote:
Wow... thats by far the wierdest thing i have ever seen... 8O

Then check this out...

And this!

With the last one, A similar concept was created using two He.111 aircraft (designation "Zwilling". They were used as towing aircraft for the Me.321 heavy gliders used on the east front, until the Me.323 powered glider was built.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 10:57 am

Wonder if the Horton is responsible for all those Nazi flying saucer rumours??

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2009, 10:16 am

[quote="pakled"]General Custard? wasn't he the one who was killed in the basement with a pipe wrench?...;)

Nah...That was Colonel Mustard. General Custard was killed in the conservatory with a rope :roll:

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 2:20 pm

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
Relicanth7 wrote:

Then check this out...

And this!

With the last one, A similar concept was created using two He.111 aircraft (designation "Zwilling". They were used as towing aircraft for the Me.321 heavy gliders used on the east front, until the Me.323 powered glider was built.

This was the US' equivlent to the Zwilling...
The F-82

And the Ho 229 was essentaly the precoursour to the B-2 and flying wing designs

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2009, 3:01 pm

Macbeth wrote:

For example.. the Harrier was the best plane in the Falklands conflict because it was pretty much the only plane fielded on the British side. Had the conflict taken place elsewhere, other planes would have taken precedence. Ask any Harrier pilot how much of a sh** it isto fly. Does that make it best? It just seems odd to award "best" status to a vehicle that started with such a distinct advantage as being the only plane there.

If the Royal Navy had not retired HMS Ark Royal, that war would have never happenned. If the "Ark" was in the fight, her AEWaircraft would have given the rest of the task force ample warning to take action--not to mention that the Argentean pilots would have had to get past her F-4s to launch her attacks.

Also the F-4s and Buccaneers on the "Ark" would have been able to hit targets in Argentina. this would have been very difficult for the Harriers in the fleet to do. In addition, the Buccaneers, when fitted with the appropriate anti ship missile (Harpoon perhaps?) would have created a missile threat for the Argentean fleet.

Argentina believed that the UK would try to resolve the conflict through diplomatic means. Possession being 9/10 of the law, Argentina felt they would have been able to keep the Falklands (and the oil field underneath them) . They know better now. :wink:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:59 pm

Relicanth7 wrote:
Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
Relicanth7 wrote:

Then check this out...

And this!

This was the US' equivlent to the Zwilling...
The F-82

And the Ho 229 was essentaly the precoursour to the B-2 and flying wing designs

Zwilling and Twin Mustang were interesting concepts since more guns to use. However neither of them have much of on impact in the war. P-38 Lighting pretty much had a big impact in both theaters. Maybe the Zwilling and Twin Mustang took ideas from the Lighting since it came out before these two aircrafts did.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 11:40 pm

sorry about the Colonel Mustard crack; sometimes my sense of pun-ishment gets a bit random...;)

I've read a few books on the Falklands; one of the major problems during the conflict was all the flying over the ocean; the Argentines had to fly out from the mainland and back. This cut back on the time they could spend over the islands. The British had some flights that had to fly thousands of miles, get refueled repeatedly, just to get to target.

The Harrier did more than expected, but less than reported.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 7:35 am

pakled wrote:
sorry about the Colonel Mustard crack; sometimes my sense of pun-ishment gets a bit random...;)

I've read a few books on the Falklands; one of the major problems during the conflict was all the flying over the ocean; the Argentines had to fly out from the mainland and back. This cut back on the time they could spend over the islands. The British had some flights that had to fly thousands of miles, get refueled repeatedly, just to get to target.

The Harrier by far is a good aircraft since its vertical take off capability means you don't need a runaway. U.S. Marine Corps actually flies the Sea Harrier 2 from the U.S. Navy Amphibious Assault Ships.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:07 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
pakled wrote:

The Harrier by far is a good aircraft since its vertical take off capability means you don't need a runaway. U.S. Marine Corps actually flies the Sea Harrier 2 from the U.S. Navy Amphibious Assault Ships.

Im suprprised that they havent made a VTOL F-22 yet... I mean with its thrust vectors it should make it easier... :?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:21 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I used to love military history, but the recent deluge of WWII themed stuff has kind of burnt me out on it. I'd now say I'm more interested in weapons history, which of course is pretty inextricably linked with military history, but a bit more focused. My area of interest is mostly modern, but some older stuff like Greek fire or some of the more complex edged weapons still draws my attention.

You must have been watching the History Channel which is called the Hitler Channel because there is so much WW2 material shown.

ruveyn

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
I used to love military history, but the recent deluge of WWII themed stuff has kind of burnt me out on it. I'd now say I'm more interested in weapons history, which of course is pretty inextricably linked with military history, but a bit more focused. My area of interest is mostly modern, but some older stuff like Greek fire or some of the more complex edged weapons still draws my attention.

You must have been watching the History Channel which is called the Hitler Channel because there is so much WW2 material shown.

ruveyn

lol? :?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:44 pm

Relicanth7 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
pakled wrote:

Im suprprised that they havent made a VTOL F-22 yet... I mean with its thrust vectors it should make it easier... :?

The US Airforce does used VTOL aircraft (Helicopters at most) at all. The US Marine Corps do because they are the sister branch of the US Navy. Also the F-35 Lighting II does have VTOL version for the Marines only.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:47 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Relicanth7 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
pakled wrote:

The US Airforce does used VTOL aircraft (Helicopters at most) at all. The US Marine Corps do because they are the sister branch of the US Navy. Also the F-35 Lighting II does have VTOL version for the Marines only.

Im suprised the US Army dosent use a VTOL... to replace the strike helicpoters... :?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 5:25 pm

Relicanth7 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Relicanth7 wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
pakled wrote:

Im suprised the US Army dosent use a VTOL... to replace the strike helicpoters... :?

The Apache Longbow has no rival to match it with its capabilities. Plus the Apache Longbow is one sight you don't wanted see if you're enemy. In other words, the US Army has no need at the moment to have a new VTOL Aircraft (Helicopter) to replace the Apache Longbow.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 12:04 am

it's a question of what mission the aircraft is supposed to fulfill. VTOL is a huge fuel-hogging maneuver, so that influences design (form follows function). Helicopters are designed to hover and ascend, while VTOL has to be both vertically and horizontally tasked; this leads to compromises.

Actually, the Military Channel does the occasional fighter and helicopter shows, or used to.

One thing I heard during the Falklands war (or it was on the radio at the time...I'm actually that old..;) was that the Harriers, if chased by the A4, would suddenly stop in mid-air, let the pursuing plances overshoot them, then shoot them down. I think that was disprooved later, but I do like the concept.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 7:51 am

pakled wrote:
it's a question of what mission the aircraft is supposed to fulfill. VTOL is a huge fuel-hogging maneuver, so that influences design (form follows function). Helicopters are designed to hover and ascend, while VTOL has to be both vertically and horizontally tasked; this leads to compromises.

Actually, the Military Channel does the occasional fighter and helicopter shows, or used to.

One thing I heard during the Falklands war (or it was on the radio at the time...I'm actually that old..;) was that the Harriers, if chased by the A4, would suddenly stop in mid-air, let the pursuing plances overshoot them, then shoot them down. I think that was disprooved later, but I do like the concept.

Well VTOL stands for Vertical Take Off and Landing which Helicopters fall under that concept. V-22 Osprey which is VTOL aircraft has the similar concept as the Harrier.