Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 1:43 pm

I really, really want to go to Florida, particularly Miami. If you've visited or live in Florida, can you tell me what it's like, the best and worst places to go, etc.? Thanks!

And if I don't get to go to Florida this year, I do plan on having my honeymoon there at least a year and a half from now. :wink:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 1:56 pm

I went to Orlando in 2002. It was about this time of the year too. It was a lot of fun but since I didn't go to Miami I can't really say, but Orlando had Universal Studios and it was a blast!. The one thing though, their spring is much hotter than our summers. Bring plenty to drink and sunscreen.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 2:00 pm

Never been there - would be cool to visit sometime..
They have palms there if i`m not way way off..? 8) :)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 2:02 pm

Oh, believe me, I lived in Houston for years so I totally understand the hot weather. :wink:

My mom stupidly went to Tampa in August 2002 and she didn't like it. Seriously, though, who in their right mind would go to Florida in August? She needs to give it another chance. And I just want to have the chance!

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 2:05 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine how hot it would be in August. :x

When are you going? If you can, try to go in April or May. It'll still be hot but not like it will be in August.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

I went during August of 1990. You can set your watch by the rain showers every afternoon.

I reckon Indiana is kinda hot during the summer and undoubtedly you've felt some humidity. Go to Florida during August and you'll soon learn what humidity feels like. No one and I mean NO ONE goes without central air in their houses down there.

The bugs and spiders grow about the size of small dogs. Don't walk around sandy areas in your bare feet. Red ants aren't your friends.

If you're planning on living down there, small lizards in your house are your friends. If you don't like lizards, learn to cope or ask yourself, "which do I like more; spiders and bugs or lizards?"

Got a dog? Don't let the dog in fresh standing water. Fido will make some hungry alligator a tasty snack.

Lots to do, lots of fun to have, just a few words to the wise.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 2:27 pm

I've been to Orlando. It's very hot so take a lot of sunscreen (I got the tops of my feet burnt so my shoes were rubbing all painfully for ages) and bottled water, and it's a good idea to take one of those little portable fans that also spray water.

Get to theme parks early-ish to avoid the rush. Also, they have bag-checks on the way in, in case terrorists decide to blow up the Magic Kingdom :roll: just BTW.

The queues can be very long, but if you put a positive spin on that, you'll never complain about queues at a local theme park again! 20 mins is considered really short. Don't bother queueing for more than a few hours, though. The Space Mountain queue was MASSIVE when I went, over three hours, so we just left it.

They have people trying to get you to buy timeshare apartments, which my dad did when we went, because a) the salesman told us that Orlando is the best place to buy on the whole planet, and b) me and my brother wanted to be able to tell people our dad owns a place in Orlando, LOL. We got to go in a limo to Sea World, it was awesome cos everyone thought we were famous...I don't think that was my point, LOL, just any excuse to tell that story. 8) :lol:

Also, if you have an immature sense of humour (which I do), look out for the hotel called Gaylord Palms. Me and my brother thought that was hilarious, LOL, and so did my friend who has been to Florida as well. :lol:

That's about all I can think of to say now...

y es como un semestre"

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:09 pm

I've been to Florida twice, once in the summer and once in the winter.

I will put it kindly so I don't put you off going. I don't much care for the weather there. I grew up in Arizona where it's bone dry and Florida is extremely humid. I, for one, do not enjoy humidity. But if you can get past that, it has some fun things to do :)

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:18 pm

AFTERTHOUGHT: the Kennedy Space Center is very interesting if you want a break from all the Disney, it's on the east coast of the peninsula.

y es como un semestre"

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:36 pm

I actually greatly prefer humidity over dry heat (like I said, I was raised in Houston), so the hot, sticky weather isn't a problem for me. And, like Houston, I'm used to the lizards (cute little things) and the giant bugs (not so cute lol). Are fire ants plentiful down there? I'm actually deadly allergic to them. They sent me to the ER when I was less than two years old. And how common are flamingos? I'd love to go flamingo spotting, even more than going to Disney World. And as for the theme parks, it sounds just like how Kings Island is up here with the security. They also checked everything at the gate. 8)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:46 pm

I've been to Florida 5 times. It's very nice if you like theme parks and beaches. :) Disney World and Universal Studios are both great! :D If you don't like theme parks there is also the Kennedy Space Centre, Sea World, Busch Gardens and lots of nice beaches. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

I love theme parks and beaches! :D

I'd love to go to the beach again soon. Last time I was at a beach was in 2003 when I went to Galveston Island. And last time I was at a theme park was last July at Kings Dominion and two weeks before that, I was at Kings Island. I know for sure I'll be going back to both of those places again this year, but I really, really, really want to go to Florida! I've wanted to all my life, and now it's just killing me!

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 5:46 pm

Lightning, take a long walk on South Beach to the right - it's nice beach, then hotels + rich crowd eating outside, then a beautiful port with tugboats, a dock, and cruise ships going in and out.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 6:53 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I actually greatly prefer humidity over dry heat (like I said, I was raised in Houston), so the hot, sticky weather isn't a problem for me.

Are ye daft? 8O

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 7:04 pm

Great news! I'm slowly but surely convincing my mom to take me to Florida (it would have to be after spring break, though, for lower ticket prices). There's a museum about some Dali guy (forgot his first name) in Tampa she'd like to visit. :D

EDIT: I just remembered his name is Salvador Dali. If anyone has been to that museum, is it any good? Like I said, that's really the only thing really convincing my mom to go to Florida.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2009, 7:54 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Great news! I'm slowly but surely convincing my mom to take me to Florida (it would have to be after spring break, though, for lower ticket prices). There's a museum about some Dali guy (forgot his first name) in Tampa she'd like to visit. :D

EDIT: I just remembered his name is Salvador Dali. If anyone has been to that museum, is it any good? Like I said, that's really the only thing really convincing my mom to go to Florida.

The Dali Museum is in St. Petersburg, at least it was when I lived in St. Petersburg last year.