Have you ever been robbed before?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

22 Apr 2009, 9:41 pm

I haven't but my boyfriend's parents were robbed the other day.

bringram
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 10:50 pm

When I was a kid my father's house got broken into a couple of times. I only stayed with him every other weekend and I was a little kid so most of it didn't register. I just noticed that my atari was gone, which made me sad. But it got replaced with a newer one that had fun games too, which made me happy.
I got mugged at gunpoint 1/2 mile from my apartment last November. That was a very scary thing. I was unarmed. I felt totally helpless, like a little kid. I was very angry. It was a couple of young black kids and I was so scared and angry I started crossing the street every time I saw a black person ( and screaming racialy profanities in my head). Two weeks later I got pulled up to my grandparents house in Kentucky.
When it first happened I had nightmares about it. They went away after awhile, maybe a month or two? I got lucky I guess. It happened right before the holidays so I got stuck, for a little over a month, with people who kept smiling and hugging. It's a little hard to prossess that kind of emotion. But it did sorta make me feel better.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 12:08 am

My father had a recording studio by our house while I was growing up, and it got broken into once. Several guitars and a lot of records were stolen - a lot of money's worth. Probably more, I don't remember.

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2009, 2:33 am

I got mugged in downtown Seattle (Belltown) walking home from a poker game at 3 AM. Fortunately I had lost that night. :lol:

From that point on I always brought my longboard to poker games. I was really good back in the day, and felt comfortable being able to out-ride any threats.

Belltown is the 2nd most dangerous area in Seattle, so it's not incredibly intelligent for a white college student to be out in the early morning.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 7:38 am

Only at work.
While working pizza delivery, I've had pizza (not money) stolen from me. Twice.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:16 am

vibratetogether wrote:

Belltown is the 2nd most dangerous area in Seattle, so it's not incredibly intelligent for a white college student to be out in the early morning.

???

Belltown is the nicest part of downtown dude, I felt safer walking around there than, for example, SoDo, the international district, central district/Beacon Hill, Rainier Beach... Belltown's on par with like the U district (which is not to say there aren't some concerns there), it ain't bad.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:36 am

Two women in my workplace were robbing eveybody. One of them got caught and got a severe beating in the ladies room and stopped immediately. The other would go through handbags that were left in the office at lunchtime. She's get the spare keys out of the boss's desk and open the drawers and get the bags. Women didn't take the bags because they were afraid of getting mugged outside in the street. She did this to almost all of us...a little bit from each every day. She steal keys and make copies. Then on her vacation day, she'd go to your house and rob your checkbooks, credit cards, etc...She hold real polite conversations with you in order to get into your business. One trick she's use: She say I named my mac pin after my daugter and she'd say something like "It's chaka". Then, "if" you're unsuspecting you'd say, "Oh, my pin is "oivey". Then she's get your mac card, go to the first floor and take out the max that she could. She'd return the card. She's steal your train pass....some valued at $150.00 per month. She's leave traces of herself behind like nail stick-ons in your wallet. Glitter from her VERY expensive, designer clothing, her weird-smelling French $$$ perfumes. Well, she got murdered in her home. When the boss opened her desk, it looked like a till! People were screaming and yelling that they wanted their money back. The most fair thing to do was to donate all that cash to charity. People were furious for weeks.
The other one who caught that beating was murdered by her own jail-bird daughter...poisoned potatoe salad. AND this was the "phone company". But look what ENRON did!!

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:07 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I haven't but my boyfriend's parents were robbed the other day.

me and my brother were mugged, in valencia, spain, by 3 "gitanos" on our way to the subway station. we've never lived in safe tourist areas, but in the middle of a rather bad enighborhood, cus thats where my grandma lives. so we were loud and norwegian, and SHINING of tourism, and they just stopped us, and took our change :(

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:18 am

Only once when I was 14 years old and unexperienced of life. I left my jacket with a few low valued pennies in the pocket unattended. But it was just my fault and the money was such low ammount so I didnt really miss them, just noticed they was gone.

Im glad I havent been robbed in the traumatic and dramatic way.

Today and since years Im always very cautious with paying attention to my surroundings to prevent myself from beeing robbed.
I never trust anybody and never leave any of my belongings unattended. If in a thick crowd then I make sure my bag is close to my body so nobody can snatch from it
I sewed my bag myself to be even more "robberysafe" and my wallet and keys and mobile phone is chained to it so they cant be taken out of my hand without my whole body coming along with it.
I guess Im a bit obsessed with the thought of NOT getting robbed...

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2009, 9:30 am

amazon_television wrote:
vibratetogether wrote:

???

Belltown is the nicest part of downtown dude, I felt safer walking around there than, for example, SoDo, the international district, central district/Beacon Hill, Rainier Beach... Belltown's on par with like the U district (which is not to say there aren't some concerns there), it ain't bad.

Have you ever been there at 3 in the morning?

I know they had been pushing the drug traffic further from downtown, and there might have been some changes in the 4 years since I lived there. When I was there, it was crack central.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2009, 9:38 am

yes, at gun point, twice.

The former things have passed away."

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:46 am

I've been out there after closing time at the bars a handful of times, pretty close to 3am. It's definitely way sketchier then than it is at midnight... I don't know about changes in belltown in general, I moved from Seattle close to 2 1/2 years ago. I know a lot of those areas are somewhat different now though, when I go back the central district for one seems like a different world.

Also though I don't equate the drug trade in Seattle that much with "dangerous" areas. I remember dudes blatantly selling pre-loaded heroin syringes out in the open on the corner of Broadway and Denny on capitol hill at like 1 in the afternoon, I'd never ever feel threatened at any hour on the main strip in cap hill.

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2009, 10:31 am

There are certain areas in Belltown that are pretty safe. If you stick to the bar area, you should be fine, head a block or two towards the Space Needle and things change. I actually lived in Belltown for 3 years. 1st/2nd Ave around the bars is not sketchy at all. 3rd Ave and 1st/2nd Ave further along gets sketchy.

There were two crackheads I saw on an almost daily basis, both of which made me incredibly uncomfortable. I even saw one of the guys that mugged me on at least two occasions afterwards.

Admittedly I didn't feel sketched out until I actually got mugged, and I was fine after that with my longboard, cruising the downslope. It's not a "fear for your life" sort of thing so much as a "be careful" thing.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:59 am

vibratetogether wrote:
I even saw one of the guys that mugged me on at least two occasions afterwards.

Whoa! That's pretty intense. I like to think that if a dude mugged me and I knew where he hung out, I'd find him when he least suspected it and beat the holy hell out of him, but I'm sure that's not how it works.

I remember someone tried to "rob" a friend of mine (it wasn't even a mugging, just a pickpocket kinda thing) in the U district. My buddy, who's a burly guy with a lifetime of various martial arts training, reactively grabbed the pickpocket's arm and broke it backwards at the elbow--this thieving kid would clearly be no threat to him ever--but he saw the guy on the street a couple months later (with his arm in a sling haha), I was with him at the time and my buddy turned white as a ghost and was like "we need to get out of here, now" and only explained what had just happened after we had vacated the block.

I've known this guy for 8 years, and the only times I've ever seen (or even heard of) him scared were after the pickpocketing attempt, after the aforementioned scene on the street afterward, and after he did an overnighter one time in gen pop in the Kittitas county jail. You'd think the pickpocketing would pale in comparison, but apparently not.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 12:41 pm

Trained in fighting? He'd have his butt handed to him when the cops got there for going overboard (unfortunately but more than likely).

I was in Texas and had someone try to open my passenger side door as it sat outside my apt. Unfortunately the passenger side didn't open and the door handle makes a cling as it shuts. I looked outside - and the guy was standing there. So I knocked on the window and he stood up and walked the other way with a pick and cloth in his hand. I called the police and they tried to find him but had no luck (he wore a white bandanna and jacket). Apparently he took off the jacket and bandanna and went inside a apt.

The police officer only told me that next time I see them try to do that - I should instead of knocking on the window - either take a baseball bat or something else and beat him until he's bloody and not moving. (then most likely some more).

And I quote - "Then call us." Apparently there was zero tolerance for "night mischief" in the area. He basically told me go to town and they won't ask any questions but will do the cleanup.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 1:34 pm

most recently a SONY PSP,a memory stick inside it with unreplaceable photos and tekken dark resurection UMD,it can't be proven who has stolen it due to the amount of support staff and visitors at home,and no one did anything about it,sister complained to council about it amongst a bunch of other things,and they said as far as they were concerned,it wasnt stolen as am had never complained,still cant believe how much crap they come out with,it had been complained about for a long time,to staff and then the service manager.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!