Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2009, 4:23 am

What tendencies do you have that make you appear a bit too eccentric in public? Other than the more telltale traits, of course.

This one I have a lot of fun with time to time, is I have trouble with cashiers. Remembering to get out cash, take change, receipt, movie ticket etc. It's actually pretty fun sometimes because it allows me to be sarcastic or make up absurd excuses.

In high school I had many moments where (while class jumping, end of year leniency) I would walk in to a classroom and see food and just grab at it, usually while saying, "OH SWEET YOU GUYS GOT FOOD!". Usually I have amazing self control too. Needless to say, I got in some trouble for this.

I just recently stopped wearing overly fancy clothing pieces with casual wear. Never had much fancy clothes other than suits until the last few years so it was never much of a problem until recently. I got pointed out so much for this, but I also managed to pull it off. :lol:

I never know how/when to say hello and goodbye. Always get caught up on how to do it appropriately and realize I wasted too much time. Eh, oh well.

Last edited by typ3 on 19 May 2009, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2009, 11:54 am

I wear some pretty eccentric clothes sometimes that get me funny looks :D

I also get quite confused just generally, so often when I'm walking somewhere, I'll suddenly turn around and start walking in another direction because I've just realised I should be going somewhere else! I wonder if it amuses people.

I say some really dumb things on the telephone. After reading out my card number instead of my account number on the phone to the bank I said "The account number.. erm..hmm.. I'm just looking for it... oh! is that the number where it says 'account number'?" I'm not sure why phones make me stupid but they seem to!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:07 pm

My clothes usually. Not much else i'm quite boring to be honest, except for my habit of getting a bit hyper and carried away and I just get giggles and stuff.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:18 pm

I once went round school with a disinfectant-soaked cloth to wipe anything that could have come into contact with the swine flu virus. Now every time I walk down the corridor, people sneeze at me on purpose to gross me out. I don't want their disgusting germs, thanks. *shudders*

I know all the European national capitals from memory. Some would say that's kinda eccentric.

y es como un semestre"

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:24 pm

I rarely swear, instead using really soft substitute words, like "cripes," whoops-a-daisies," or "oh my days." Because I speak in an emotionless monotone, a lot of people find this quite funny.

I cannot bear to be in a room which has the curtains open and the light on. I used to scream if this happened, but I've gotten much better at controlling this reaction.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:34 pm

Well, I guess there is something 'special' about me, but people can't exactly put their finger on what it is.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2009, 12:53 am

Kajjie, I definitely have the same problem being absentminded! I do it almost every day; I'll head to the laundry room to dry clothes or whatever, then stop dead in the kitchen and assume I wanted to get a snack because I'm hungry, and catch myself 10 minutes later. :lol:

My timing on the telephone is also nightmarishly bad, and getting worse as of recently. OH IT IS VERY BAD when someone asks me to call them and I don't know why. Just got off the phone a couple hours ago with a long time friend, and I was stumbling and interrupting left and right.

Edit: I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong forum. Should have been in General Autism Discussion... I could have sworn... :x

Last edited by typ3 on 19 May 2009, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 1:52 am

Ooooh, hello and goodbye, I HATE it. XD;;; Both words are too short, (especially hi and bye) so I always mess up the tone.

I guess I stop and look at bugs and things too much. Or rescue worms from the sidewalk. But some of my friends started doing it too, because I do. Rescue the worms, that is.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 May 2009, 6:39 am

I always talk about computers, but I'm not a billionaire, so I'm strange, not eccentric. I also pause before answering a phone.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 May 2009, 6:41 am

Double Post

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 6:52 am

- I have trouble abbreviating anything, even while writing messages with the phone. I need to spell everything out.
- I have trouble writing "incorrectly". Everything I write that is not "correct" are either typographical errors or based on lack of knowledge. Sometimes, when available, I go back and edit the message.
- I tend to structure points like these neatly into lists.
- I tend to write formally and from an objective viewpoint.
- You can actually catch me talking like this. But since I'm aware of it, I usually manage to express myself in ordinary terms.

EDIT:
Oh, and the lists tend to be sorted alphabetically if the items don't rely on each other...

Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2009, 7:13 am

It's meant to be qualities that make you appear weird in public, people. I walk fast until someone tells me to slow down, sometimes I walk with a weird posture, I constantly make eye contact with people then they give me disapproving looks, I start grinning when I think of something funny that might not make any sense if anyone asked me what I was laughing about. I stim and constantly fidget.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 7:22 am

Well, ok.

I tend to be absolutely quiet in social gatherings and observe the people I'm with while they duel it out conversation-wise.

Unless I get a question, in which case the answer would just about always be: -"Why, yes. I'm fine."