Page 3 of 17 [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 11:33 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
yeah theyre both very similar, and as you say, a word or two, a rare entire sentence

and about finnish, i KIIINDA feel guilty, as a scandinavian, for neglecting the language-family, especially since we got lapps in norway aaand norway has the biggest lapp population. i should at least know ONE lapp word, but i dont :I
not a single one.
i know maybe 5 finnish words, and zero lappish words :I and we know for damn sure lapps know norwegian, i even know "hello" in chinese, but not in lappish :S

The only Lappish I know, is a Kyrie that I have on a CD with hymns from all over the world.

Kyrie eleison.
Ipmil Ahccámet árpmit min.

Christe eleison.
Hearramet Kristus árpmit min.

Kyrie eleison.
Bassi Vuoignja árpmit min.

(After the memory, so not sure about the spelling, but hope that the memory is as good this time as it was with the Norwegian cow text. :D )

The first lines are in Greek (Lord, have mercy; Christ, have mercy; Lord, have mercy). And then the Lappish translation. But as the 1. and 3. verse are not similar, they may have translated into something like: Father God, have mercy, and Holy Spirit, have mercy. But I'm guessing wildly.

I'm clueless about Finnish too. But can count to yksi, kaksi, kolme, and that's all, I think.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 11:48 am

AnnePande wrote:
The only Lappish I know, is a Kyrie that I have on a CD with hymns from all over the world.

Here, feel free to learn some more:

http://www.squidoo.com/how-do-I-say-it-in-sami

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 9:23 am

OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

Thanks for the link, that's cool. :)

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 11:56 am

AnnePande wrote:
OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

Thanks for the link, that's cool. :)

You might also enjoy this band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mISmzRP22t0

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 12:23 pm

hey oddfinn, lemme ask you something!

ive asked a few finns, but they were all 'normals', and i suspect their answer may have been emotionally loaden, since lapps are a "funny minority" and people dont seem to want too much personal association

can a finn understand lappish?

those i asked said none at all/a word or two, then hurried to change the subject :S

what about estonian or karelian? how interlingible are the european ugric languages? im not expecting finns to understand hungaric, since its allready a tiiiny bit for me to grasp quickly spoken danish :D and very difficult w icelandic or faroese

hell, even some norwegian dialects are tricky :S

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 12:46 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
can a finn understand lappish?

those i asked said none at all/a word or two, then hurried to change the subject :S

what about estonian or karelian? how interlingible are the european ugric languages? im not expecting finns to understand hungaric, since its allready a tiiiny bit for me to grasp quickly spoken danish

The closest one and easiest to understand is karelian, it is almost like a finnish dialect.

The next one is estonian. I can understand most of it. That is because I'm from South-West Finland, and the dialect here has had much influence from estonian.

Lappish, that I understand hardly at all. I have learned some words to impress the locals there, since I visit Lapland every summer.

Hungaric is the furthest away. I have visited Budapest a couple of times, and the words that I thought I understood meant something different. I understood, however, that when the door read "tolni" it meant I should push, since it sounds a little like finnish "töni."

Can you tell me, why the meanings of stad and by are reversed in swedish and norwegian?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 12:53 pm

OddFinn wrote:

The closest one and easiest to understand is karelian, it is almost like a finnish dialect.

The next one is estonian. I can understand most of it. That is because I'm from South-West Finland, and the dialect here has had much influence from estonian.

Lappish, that I understand hardly at all. I have learned some words to impress the locals there, since I visit Lapland every summer.

Hungaric is the furthest away. I have visited Budapest a couple of times, and the words that I thought I understood meant something different. I understood, however, that when the door read "tolni" it meant I should push, since it sounds a little like finnish "töni."

so lappish is really that difficult to understand? strange..., maybe because of their nomadic nature then? theyve moved a lot more around, and changed/re-influenced their language?

Quote:
Can you tell me, why the meanings of stad and by are reversed in swedish and norwegian?

in norwegian stad is still used in the word "hovedstad" and in a few cases, but yeah by is used a lot more. i dunno why. sweidsh use by too, but as far as i know only in place-names.
i think the word stad has changed meaning a lot, cus stad/sted means place as well and stat means state, theyre all from the same word. "staten" = the government. in norwegian at least i think thats why we use "by" more, cus it only means city or town and nothing else.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 1:27 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
in norwegian stad is still used in the word "hovedstad" and in a few cases, but yeah by is used a lot more. i dunno why. sweidsh use by too, but as far as i know only in place-names.
i think the word stad has changed meaning a lot, cus stad/sted means place as well and stat means state, theyre all from the same word. "staten" = the government. in norwegian at least i think thats why we use "by" more, cus it only means city or town and nothing else.

It's the same thing in Danish, we also use hovedstad, and also købstad for a city of a certain size (as opposed to a village). By itself, stad has a bit of an oldfashioned ring to it, and normally we use "by".

As for quickly spoken Danish, I think quickly spoken Norwegian (and Swedish) is difficult to understand as well. And I have to admit that I understand those songs of Fattern best if I can see the text written. If the text is not available, I miss more of it.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 1:54 pm

AnnePande wrote:
As for quickly spoken Danish, I think quickly spoken Norwegian (and Swedish) is difficult to understand as well.

Oh, yes. When I was driving through Denmark, and asked for directions, it took me maybe 30 seconds before I understood what they just said.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 2:07 pm

OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
As for quickly spoken Danish, I think quickly spoken Norwegian (and Swedish) is difficult to understand as well.

Oh, yes. When I was driving through Denmark, and asked for directions, it took me maybe 30 seconds before I understood what they just said.

Do you speak Swedish? And if you do, is it as a first language?
Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know if Swedish is first language for any Finns or not.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 2:23 pm

AnnePande wrote:
OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know if Swedish is first language for any Finns or not.

They do live next to sweden and some of their words seem similiar to swede language, i think.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 2:34 pm

AnnePande wrote:

Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. Finnish is my first, and Swedish is my second. So, I do speak Swedish, but sometimes I wonder if I should file English as my First language. I'm more comfortable with English, even though Finnish is my Native Language.

And yes, for some Finns, Swedish is their first language.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 3:31 pm

"meow meoww meeeow meoooow"
I want to show you a YouTube video, cat language

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzEjzL6_gyE[/youtube]

sorry I dont have any languages to bring on...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 4:42 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

They do live next to sweden and some of their words seem similiar to swede language, i think.

finnish is an uralic language, which means even russian and iranian is closer to norwegian and swedish, than finnish is ;)
but sweden has been owning finland for a while, and on the coasts towards sweden they speak swedish a lot.
but the finnish language itself, and the saami/lappish language as well, is ugric, and has virtually nothing whatsoever in common w scandinavian or any other european language except hungarian, estonian and some minority languages.

hell even bengali has, theoretically, more in common w norwegian, than finnish has :D

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

Yes! I suddenly remember a sentence in a foreign language: Finnish!

"Nauravat Silmät Muistetaan".... dont remember the exact translation but I think its something with "laughing eyes"...

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:36 am

OddFinn wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

Finland has two official languages, Finnish and Swedish. Finnish is my first, and Swedish is my second. So, I do speak Swedish, but sometimes I wonder if I should file English as my First language. I'm more comfortable with English, even though Finnish is my Native Language.

And yes, for some Finns, Swedish is their first language.

OK, thanks for your explanation. :)