Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 8:08 pm

greenblue wrote:
Never! build your house and live alone and enjoy your own freedom, invite few women now and then to your house for casual sex. On the other hand, you can build her a house, though under your name, or having her living in your own house, without getting married, securing your safety that way, avoiding divorce issues and all that.

I know a guy who built his own house, the wife left with a guy from work - claimed she paid for half the materials, made him take out a mortgage on the home and give her half.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 9:01 pm

Nim wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Never! build your house and live alone and enjoy your own freedom, invite few women now and then to your house for casual sex. On the other hand, you can build her a house, though under your name, or having her living in your own house, without getting married, securing your safety that way, avoiding divorce issues and all that.

I know a guy who built his own house, the wife left with a guy from work - claimed she paid for half the materials, made him take out a mortgage on the home and give her half.

can't get what you claim happened, gotta show proof in court. If the state was a shared property state, then only half was his anyway.

Merle

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 12:12 am

Fnord wrote:
It has nothing to do with equality, and everything to do with sales demographics.While men may make more money than women, it's the women who tend to spend more of it - especially on shoes, clothes, or whatever.

They are also perceived as being victims more so than men. Thus the overwhelming preponderance of social services specifically targeted at women, and the overabundance of men in prisons.

Welcome to reality.

Im going to agree 100% with the first paragraph. As far as social services, there is the reality that many women have children without a bf/hubby to support them because it IS true that when women get preggo and start poppin' out babies they become very dependent.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 5:21 am

digger1 wrote:
why do women always get first crack at everything?

They have more square footage in stores for their shopping stuff be it shoes, clothes or whatever and now I saw this on the news today:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.a ... 45&catid=2

remember equality?

Actually, Digger, there already is a shelter just for men in the Portland area, and a co-ed facility as well...

As for the clothing thing, I don't get it. Of course, it depends on where one goes...but what I would like to see is a nicer selection of men's clothing and stuff, and a smaller, more classic selection of women's clothes with better quality. I skip the women's boots, and buy men's, because I can get way better quality, and to heck with the women's tees-it's only a teeshirt-I buy men's. It would be nice to have a larger selection of men's stuff to choose from for the men in my life, and that includes boys' stuff as well.

The homeless situation in my area is interesting, and in my five years working as an advocate for the homeless mentally ill citizens, many variants had to be dealt with, but one thing became apparent: these were the most vulnerable populations. These weren't able and capable people-most had disabilities, mental and physical, many had behavioral issues because of developmental disabilities and often ended up in jail, and a surprising number were elderly, who had nothing but a 600 dollar social security check and their life savings ate up by a late spouse's illness or their own.

The one thing the local interagency coalition dealing with homeless issues discovered was that the number one thing in dealing with the problem was housing. Without that, it was impossible to get people the help and the stability to accept that help.

One survey we did showed that nearly one third were veterans of various wars who were dealing with PTSD, depression, and various addictions trying to self-medicate. Nearly another third were kids under 18 who were couch surfing, living in tents, kids who were runaways, or throw aways. The rest were single women, single parents with children, single men, and families. Most of the single people had some kind of obstacle to work and housing-either age, illness, or disability, and this included many of the single mothers and the few single dads.

Regardless of one's view, the thing that helped most was housing. Once in housing, people could regain their functioning with treatment. They had a safe place.

I'm glad Portland is able to expand options for homeless people. In my home town, two new shelters opened-one for men, and a smaller one for women, and there's a section in one of them for families. I'm glad the charity was able to build the structures and get financing for staff before the economy went in the dumper.

Don't assume that because there's a new women's shelter that there isn't already a men's shelter. It's just the homeless problem is so big, even a new shelter isn't going to help everyone.

Metta.

shegotadonk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2009, 3:55 pm

Nim wrote:
digger1 wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Wow.. people helping the homless.
What bastards. :roll:

a swing and a miss.

the point is that they're making a home for women, not a home. I think if they do one for women, they must do one for men as well.

You make more money, buy yourself - A home...

if it makes you feel any better, my generation will have equal pay across the board. the generation before me chipped away at the glass ceiling, my generation has shattered it. society has come a long ways from just 15 years ago.hell, now if you even suggest a woman should know how to cook, its considered sexist.

also i would need to see these studies confirming that men make more money for the same work, somehow i dont think the scales are tipped quite the way the feminist and female sympathizers want one to believe.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm

shegotadonk wrote:
Nim wrote:
digger1 wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:

a swing and a miss.

the point is that they're making a home for women, not a home. I think if they do one for women, they must do one for men as well.

You make more money, buy yourself - A home...

if it makes you feel any better, my generation will have equal pay across the board. the generation before me chipped away at the glass ceiling, my generation has shattered it. society has come a long ways from just 15 years ago.hell, now if you even suggest a woman should know how to cook, its considered sexist.

also i would need to see these studies confirming that men make more money for the same work, somehow i dont think the scales are tipped quite the way the feminist and female sympathizers want one to believe.

In January 2009, President Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law. This victory is a major step forward in giving women the ability to challenge unequal pay.

The National Women’s Law Center has stood with Lilly Ledbetter through tough times. We filed an important amicus brief, testified before Congress, worked on the legislation, and were leaders of the coalition effort that finally paid off. We were at Lilly’s side from the Supreme Court to the bill’s signing at the White House.

While the bill’s passage was a critical step forward, the battle for pay equity is not over. Women still make only 78 cents for every dollar earned by men — and for women of color, the numbers are even worse. Our next step is to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act to improve the law, close the loopholes, and encourage employers to review their policies. Please urge your Senators to support the Paycheck Fairness Act.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room ... licReview/

it's not over, 'till it's over

Merle

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 11:10 pm

digger1 wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:

a swing and a miss.

Just like the argument about 'how come there's no men's forum...' it's because spaces entirely for men tend to be unsafe and/or unpleasant for women, and sheer demographics ensure that the majority of forums on this board are already dominated by men. Likewise, men make up the majority of the homeless population (and therefore fill the majority of beds at regular homeless shelters), and women are frequently not safe sharing sleeping quarters with them.