Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 2:49 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Sounds like symptoms of menopause, Just Me. I have had horribly painful & ultra bloody periods that I despised. I have been unable to use normal forms of BC as my symptoms are only aggravated by the hormones...this has been an issue ever since I was in my 20s. Even the smallest amount of hormone supplementation made me crazy: irritable, flew off the handle at anything & everything, moody, interrupted sleep patterns, etc. It was terrible to live like that. I gave up BC completely in my mid-20s. A tubal ligation in my early 30s was my only answer for BC.

Are there other forms of BC you could try? There are more options now than there were before.

Tomboy

Yes I just didn't have time to get another BC before i flew over to England to see my boyfriend now fiance. I just didn't want other people making the same mistake i did. next time ill probably try the nuva ring, but i will need to do more research before i can decide for certain.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
If you are bleeding alot from the shot, go back to the doctor to get birth control pills. Take it until you stop bleeding.
thanks for the info!

Lil_Button
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2011, 6:44 am

I was horrendously moody the whole time i was on the Depo shot.. put on a ton of weight and basically just felt like an overgrown teenage boy! My mum was training as a midwife around the time and told me point blank to come off it.. she said after what she had learnt then she "wouldn't even give the depo to a dog". Unfortunately it was 5 or 6 years ago so i can't remember exactly what she said was so terrible about it, i think it's because it blocks so much of your estrogen??

Anyway, i went straight on to the contraceptive implant and what a relief! Weight came off and finally felt half normal again :) Went back to it recently after taking a break from contraception and it's still the best method for me.

Just feel that you're the hardest li'l button to button..

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 5:12 pm

I used to take it, but I stopped becuase it is bad for your bones.

Carbon_4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

I've been on the depo shot since november.
I had been working as a cashier at a department store for the last year and I had been amazed at how I was able to handle it socially. I use to have a bad social anxiety disorder, depression and panic attacks in high school, But I have been doing great for the last two years and have been very peaceful and happy

UNTIL I TOOK THE DEPO SHOT LAST NOVEMBER

My doctor recommended going on it to stop my ovarian cysts, I had one rupture in october. soon after getting the shot my depression and anxiety disorder came back :( . I was having panic attacks at work and was a total depressed mess. I decided to quit work because of the panic attacks. after that I barely left the house for two weeks because everything seemed so overwhelming. fortunately I am supported financially by my parents still. And for the last month I have actually been quite happy and calm again. I need to get my second shot next week, if the bad emotions happen again I will need to look at alternative birth control, even though I would rather not be on birth control at all, i need it to regulate me so I dont have another rupture :(

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

I was able to convince my gynocologist to give me a hystorectomy because I'm supposedly predisposed to mood swings and even with birth control, you still have periods. I wanted mine to stop perminately. Supposedly the doctor just removed my uterus and I still have my ovaries and still produce all the horomones, but ever since my hystorectomy, I've NEVER had PMS. My periods were so think they were black in color and would go on for weeks and if I didn't go to the doctor about it, they probably would have gone on for months. I was sick all the time and soon as I got over it, I would have another period and the whole cycle would start all over again. My periods were making me anemic to the point where the doctor had to give me iron supliments and said I might even need a blood transfusion. I made up my mind when I was four that I never wanted to get married, let alone have kids. Everyone always tells you will change your mind when you get older but I am older and never changed my mind. I doubt I'll ever regret getting "spayed".

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Wow... thanks, I will remember that.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

I was on it for about a year and it was horrible. I gained 20 pounds, was severely depressed/irritable, had lots of meltdowns, didn't get my period (I don't care if it's found medically acceptable, disrupting my cycle like that is crazy)...ugh!

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

I think I might move on to the implant some time soon, I'm trying to lose weight and staying on the depo won't help. I can eat virtually nothing and walk miles on end and I'm still grabbing at a ton of excess flab that wasn't there before.
I have been lazy in recent months though so I'm not excusing myself, I have been neglectful but an injection that causes weight gain anyway isn't going to do me any favours.

rainbowlolly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

just-me; same story here. I'm off of it now because it made me so angry and upset 24/7. :/ I am now on BC pills; much easier on me. :)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

See this is how the depo shot works
-kills sex drive so you dont want to have sex
-makes you moody so no one wants to have sex with you... jk.

better than an asprin held between the knees :wink:

taintedillusions
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2012, 6:22 am

Doctors don't usually tell you but DEPO shots can also cause problems for you if you decide you want to have children later in life. I know my doctor never mentioned that to me and if they had I would not have had it. I'm pregnant now but it took a very long time for my hormones and body to return to normal and I now have very irregular cycles despite my last DEPO injection being about 2 years ago.