Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi everybody,

How do you cope with incomprehension and disbelief from your surrounding? I feel constantly misunderstood and am trying so hard to fit in, but it just doesn't work. Whenever I tell ppl about my autism, I experience they don't really understand autism, especially in woman. Trying to explain doesn't really help anything, and I feel so left out, misunderstood, lonely and invisible. I struggle with suicidal tendencies, and often feel life like things will never change.

Does anyone recognize this, and how do you 'survive'? Will it ever be possible to feel connected with other ppl?

Love,

Nat

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

Word of advice--stop telling people you have Autism/Asperger's. Just tell people you have health issues. No need to be specific, except where necessary, such as at work, "my eyes are sensitive to bright/fluorenscent lights", or I am sensitive to loud or certain types of noises", or "It takes me longer to absorb info, as I have trouble concentrating", or I have trouble sorting out conversations in groups", etc. In other words only discuss the specific "symptom" involved at the time, and then only when necessary.

Too many people either don't really know anything about Autism, or what they do know is mostly wrong info. Much of that wrong info is based on news reports about the rare Autism exceptions, who get into the news by breaking the law, or by going nuts publicly. Every "group" of people has a small percentage of law breakers, and mental cases among their members. Unfortunately, this is considered newsworthy, and even more so when it concerns people from a group who have a "mysterious" and misunderstood condition that includes mental health components. And it doesn't help that Autism doesn't have a physical appearance that you can point to, like being in a wheel chair, or a hearing aid, or a seeing eye dog. Because of this, it is often best to keep our condition a private matter, and only mention it on a "need-to-know" basis.

Darcygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2015, 5:07 pm

Hi there. I don't tell either but do say what my issues are eg sorry I'm really bad at remembering faces can you remind who that is ....

Someone educated about Aspergers/autism might work it out maybe but let's face it few are so I think I'm safe!

I am sorry to hear this gets you so down - are there any local groups where you can meet other Aspies?