Page 7 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

simply-me wrote:
oh wow! there may be 3 or 4 traits there that I don't share, but other than that, just wow, that's me!
all my life I've always felt like a misfit and a weirdo and here is a chart that describes me perfectly and other woman identify with it too. I think I may cry right now, I'm not alone!

You are beautifully unique, and most definitely not alone, sister from another mister.

simply-me
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2010, 5:18 pm

thank you for that pandorazmtbox :)
after 26 years of feeling alone in the world and like something is wrong, I'm wrong for not being like everyone else, this just gave me a sense of happiness and relief

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2010, 3:16 pm

Just found this thread from last Fall...
I found this very enlightening!
Very indepth...This answers so many
of the questions of why my behavior
over the years, with family, boyfriends,
schoolmates and even my son at present,
can get so confusing and chaotic at times!
Wow...And all these years I thought I was
just nuts...and so did they!

Anjie

lily81
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2010, 3:48 pm

Thank you for posting this, my whole life is now starting to make sense! I actually ended up here as I have a online friend who has asperger's and wanted to learn more about it. Slowly as I started to read more I felt like I was reading about myself, especially when I got to this topic. Almost all of those describe me, even showed my parents this list today and told them that I think I have Asperger's and they agree and they now understand why I have been so different ever since I was a young child.

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2010, 7:48 pm

Cowbird wrote:
Can someone tell me what it means on there when they describe someone as a "trainspotter"?

I think it means that women have more practical obsessions over men, but mine aren't ever practical. I obsess over fictional characters. Although, sometimes I use them as an alter-ego (if the character is confident or brave) and I can handle situations better. I just kind of do the whole, What Would ? Do? LOL That really does sound a little insane...

aspermom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2010, 9:07 pm

If you like or love that chart you would love the book it came from - Aspergirls by Rudy Simone. I've read it three times through now and want to give a copy to everyone I'm close to.

Aneres
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2010, 2:53 am

I have recently read Aspergirls by Rudy Simone and I have to say that it was the slowest reading that I have ever given a book in my entire life. So much applied to me and my life. It brought up so much from my past and cleared up any remaining doubts I might have had in regards to me and having Asperger Syndrome. I had to read it slowly because it actually kept making me meltdown and retreat to under my blankets. But, it was wonderful to read.

Finally I understand why, unlike all the normal girls, I hate shopping, especially grocery shopping. I finally understand why I am so sensitive to almost everything and why I frequently close myself off from almost everything. I finally don't feel quite so guilty about both my physical and emotional meltdowns.

I read everything that I can on Asperger Syndrome and this book was the first of anything that I found mentioning the visions. It's good to know, it isn't just me.

Serena

sylbao
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2010, 5:51 am

Well, it's just an Asperger tinged of female NT who is described. I don't recognize myself.

shirah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2010, 1:58 pm

I match 3, maybe 4, of the traits. Would have been nice to match most of them, just to be able to say "I fit in" for once. :wink:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

The summary (table 2) fits me better than the chart (table 1). I am relatively girly-girl though. >.>

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2010, 6:56 am

Blue_Star wrote:
Maybe I'm just having a dense day, but how are these really any different than how males present? These just seem to have a more slightly feminine tint, possibly simply via language use, but really don't seem to be unique to females at all.

I watched a youtube video interview with the author (Rudy Simone) about this yesterday. She stated that the symptoms aren't really that different between male and female Aspies, but that they are perceived differently by others based on gender.

for example: the casual dress is perceived from the outside as "depression or not caring for one's appearance" in females, whereas in males it's not.

UnderINK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2010, 9:50 pm

It's not that the symptoms are different, it's how they affect women that are different. Women tend to fly under the radar of Asperger's diagnosis because of some of these things. For instance, women tend to be able to command expressions a little better overall than men, so in an Aspie woman, a psychiatrist may mistake that as being neurotypical because the woman can mirror gestures and socially blend in better than a male can. But it doesn't mean she doesn't have to think about it. The obsessions usually aren't identified because females are sort of known for being obsessive? For instance, an Aspie woman might collect hundreds of recipes. Why would a psychiatrist think that was weird? She might collect books and books of pressed flowers or pretty gems she finds, or antiques. But the most that would tip off a psychiatrist would be, if it were in so much excess that the family had to step in, possibly having an anxiety disorder. There's not a whole lot a man could collect in that amount that would be normal for a man to collect, except boxes of smut magazines, guns, or things Aspies don't generally seem to be interested in anyway.

It's sexist, yes, but psychiatrists and psychologist do separate female and male psyches as being inherently different because of hormones, so while it's sexist and detrimental to females in the Aspergers community, it's a fact we have to deal with. You will frequently get psychologists telling you that you don't have Aspergers because you may be better at blending in socially than a male, but that doesn't mean squat. If you feel the way you feel and it aligns with Autism symptoms, it's probably some type of Autism. It's not like diagnosing cancer or diabetes (I'm pulling this from Autism Speaks who seemed to compare Autism to a terminal illness like a bunch of dolts) where you need a thorough medical exam and you 'could maybe have it, or it could be a benign tumor, or it could be 50,000 other things like a cyst'. No. If a woman feels she probably has Autism, she probably does, and she needs to be persistent with her doctor about getting to the bottom of it and not be told 'no' because she's a woman who's flying under the radar.

'Scuse me, I had to rant. ;)

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm

That chart fits me...like...perfectly...and whoever's husband thought she was batsh*t crazy for considering AS...so did mine and I was diagnosed officially a few months ago ;)

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

yellowLedbetter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2010, 8:01 am

Table 1 fits me almost perfectly, and I'm not diagnosed. I fit almost ALL the criteria on that list! Thanks!! That helped me realize I'm not alone in my awkwardness!!

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2010, 9:45 am

appearance sounds a lot like me so far :P musciality, I can read notes as good as books but I suck at creating original music myself, totally opposite from partner whi can't read notes and similar but just can play to a song when he hears it .some points of the second column are also spot on.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2010, 3:22 pm

That is so validating! Many of those traits are mine. I sent a link to my boyfriend, so that he can understand me better. 8)