Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

millie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 7:55 pm

You gotta be kidding. A hairdresser?
cut my own.
been to a salon maybe four times in my life and i am nearing old boiler stage. I equate it with the rather explicit images outlined in Dante's Inferno...probably one of the inner circles.

yikes. hairdressing salons....................

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 1:46 am

Quote:
"Sallam and rina", right? Just like "Active but odd", "Jack and jill", "donkey buster", etc.

DonkeyBuster is two words, but it's only one person...
who says Aspie's have no imagination? Yours seems to be firing on extra cylinders. :lol:

Is this your way of saying that ViperaAspis is two people? Or multiple personalities? :scratch:

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:37 am

Quote:
DonkeyBuster is two words, but it's only one person...

Yes, but every time I see it I can't shake the image of Biker Donkeys in leather jackets up against a wall while someone is handcuffing them and tossing them into the back of a patrol car! I mean, what does that mean? I know you can 'bust' a bronco, but a donkey?!? I'm sensing a story there.

Quote:
Is this your way of saying that ViperaAspis is two people? Or multiple personalities?

Oh, goodness, I hope not, DB! I don't know if the world could survive having another one of me around ! ! :lol:

Say, have you met Millie here yet? <gently grabs Millie's arm, careful to take the one WITHOUT the dog> Millie, DB. DB, Millie. [Hero Worship]You two are my top favorite posters here, y'know. Smart, classy, AND funny. DB here is amazing at handling conflict and I've seen some of her devastatingly precise and penetrating responses leave the mean ones reeling and speechless while she totally keeps her cool. Oh, and Millie just pulled off an amazing bit of reasoning where she brought together two warring individuals (on one of those threads that is "blowing up" when two people are going at it? You know what I mean... anyhow) she brought together two rather upset people to where they seemed to be agreeing with her, but were actually agreeing with each other. It was like this amazing Moment of Zen. Even the birds outside my window here fell silent for a bit. I don't even think the combatants realized until AFTER her next post that they weren't fighting anymore.

I always see both of you helping people in a gentle way with humor and caring. I learn a lot when I see your names on the threads.[/Hero Worship]

YIKES! I just noticed that I posted in the "women's discussion" forum again :oops: :oops: :oops: . I've got to be more careful about that. I am so oblivious sometimes!! ! I just looked in the "new threads" on the right of the splash page and found an interesting-looking post. I have to say, though, it certainly is a nicer atmosphere in here than in most of the "public" threads. I don't see one negative post! And, hey, at least I could be helpful with the sensitive scalp idea!

<sigh> sometimes, I'm a pretty silly cat. Oh, and if you tell ANY of the guys I was in here, I'm going to totally deny it.

-- Vip

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:58 am

Oh my, before breakfast even... :lol:

Quote:
the image of Biker Donkeys in leather jackets up against a wall while someone is handcuffing them and tossing them into the back of a patrol car!

The idea of tossing a donkey anywhere just boggles, VA, absolutely just boggles the mind. 8O

All 8 ears stood at full attention when I told them about this.... er... spasm of imagination. Three of the donks are appalled, but one seems frighteningly intrigued... naturally, that would be Shenanigans, my beer drinking ass. Oh dear...

If he turns into a felonious ass, I'm calling you for bail money... :lol:

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 9:37 am

eeuw so much gushing and sucking up, it's like some slimy ocean creature.

I used to do the hairdressers when I was young but I always hated it and I think they felt the same way too. Now I just go for a simple style I can cut myself.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 9:47 am

Quote:
eeuw so much gushing and sucking up, it's like some slimy ocean creature.

:lol: Sucking, glomming land squid oozing your way.... :twisted:

{{{hugs}}}

:lol:

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:22 am

ViperaAspis wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean - maybe you had me mixed with another poster?

Aren't you and your life partner using the same post identity?

"Sallam and rina", right? Just like "Active but odd", "Jack and jill", "donkey buster", etc.

Well maybe there could be two of me, but unfortunately there's only one body for us! Active, she's ok, but it gets bad when Odd wrests control... :wink: Nah I'm only kidding, great concept though! :lol: I shall use it as a handy excuse.

Yes I hate being expected to do the personal questions and small talk thing. I can never understand why anyone would do all the maintenance those magazines recommend for the bland faffy styles they picture. And someone else blow-drying your hair straight with that brush? It feels like being attacked by that 'suck-and-blow' machine (for cutting hair) that was a joke on Wayne's World. :lol:
Add to that my stomach getting wobbly under stress while I'm venturing out there, and you understand why my hair looks like 'the old man from the mountain'. Well not that bad, but it's getting rather long...

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:44 am

ViperaAspis wrote:
Oh. OH!! ! :oops:

Oh gawd...

<-- slinks off

At least I learned something today -- thanks for the link!

No worries, ViperaAspis, I just couldn't figure if you were pulling my leg or not... :D

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:48 am

millie wrote:
I equate it with the rather explicit images outlined in Dante's Inferno...probably one of the inner circles.

Best description ever :lol: And I can pretty much handle the physical torture part, but the other one... :pale:

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 12:00 pm

the thing I hate the most about going to a hairdresser is living with what they do to my hair. it took 6-8 cuts before they got a clue what my hair was like.

the only hairdresser who I was always happy with was a guy at an upscale salon in Ohio. we had an agreement that my cafe would supply him with free lattes and he could do whatever he wanted to my hair and it wouldn't cost me a cent, so I had spectacular styles that I loved because they were artsy and low maintenance, and he spent the time doing my hair as if he were working on a masterpiece.

since then, I've learned the best thing to do is cut my hair myself. so far it's working out, I go for a Bettie Page style that seems to suit me all right.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:15 pm

(oh...I would like an artsy low maintinence hairstyle.... :roll:

Grawwwrrrrr...For the last two years I have gone to the hair dresser once a year and each time, they have given me a bob.

I have rail-straight hair, and no matter how hard I try to communicate what i want, it comes out as a bob. I ask for long layers...they give me a bob...

For the last two years I have gone to the artsy/funky little beauty salon with the art-car-hearse out front...it is a very small shop and it always wins "best hair salon"

The female tension in there is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I may be bad at reading people...but I am also might be a little bit of an empath...so the vibes I pick up are always so contrary to what is being said....and it makes me really really uncomfortable.

I cannot recall ever having had a good hair dresser experience. I don't know what compels me to subject myself to the yearly fiasco....I have never "gotten" the whole hair thing...and I guess I have been somewhat envious of people who actually know what to do with their hair..and maybe i keep trying in hopes that one day it will click with me and I will find a hairstyle that is not so regrettable.

I think I am just gonna stop cutting it, wear it in braids and under a scarf for the rest of my life, and continue to cut my own bangs, and just forget about it.

And yes....I hate the small talk...I hate the feeling that I offended my blue-haired stylist when I told her I don't use hair products and usually hide my hair under a scarf....and rawwr...the creepy female dynamics.

I have only had a male stylist once, and that was when I was a kid, and I think he had a glass eye. It was at a Fantastic Sams, where they all had fake names posted over their stations "So their customers wouldn't stalk them"...the hair cutter said....

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 7:05 pm

there used to be a gadget that would cut hair, it's a bit like a vacuum cleaner that sucks up the hair and there's a blade of some type in the suction tube that cuts the hair while the vacuum holds it at a reasonably even length. i'll see if i can find some pix on the net somewhere, i'd love to have one.

here it is, the Flowbee and the Robocut

http://www.haircut.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9B3b9n4isA

aanyone used one? they seem pretty expensive for something that just attaches to your vacuum cleaner.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:56 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have rail-straight hair, and no matter how hard I try to communicate what i want, it comes out as a bob. I ask for long layers...they give me a bob...

I've had a bob - of different lengths - since I was 3. Now I have a layered one and it's low maintenance and suits me very well. I can style it perfectly in about 5 minutes, but my hair grows really fast, so I should go to a salon about every 2 months. Hence my problem - I would like to keep the hairstyle and I'm happy with it, but it's not simple enough to cut it myself :(

This amuses my husband greatly - I don't have the slightest problem having blood drawn, I couldn't care less about spiders, mice, snakes or whatever, but I get all nervous and creeped out when I have to go to the beauty salon.

Postperson - I'll read some reviews and try to figure out if any of those is good for me, it would be just awesome! Thank you

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 9:31 pm

I like bobs really....but I also like the flexibility of being able to have braids...i like braids....

I would like a hair style that would maybe allow me to have braids in the front and the rest of it in a bob....

I wonder if such a haircut could be pulled off..

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:10 pm

I like some aspects of it but I dont like:
- They often pull my hair while combing it. I have fine hair which splits
- They sometimes try to use straighteners and tease my hair, which also causes it to break
- They pull at my hair while washing it sometimes

So I go to a salon that offers cheap dry cuts and get a trim. Usually it takes 10 minutes. I might one day find a salon that does things the way I like though.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 5:28 am

Whoa, listening to these responses I should go train as a hairdresser! After dealing with fine tangly hair that goes most of the way down my back, I'm sure I'm good to deal with anyone else's. And I know what it is to be probed with questions or 'yanked'. :(