Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 7:29 am

Quote:
I would like a hair style that would maybe allow me to have braids in the front and the rest of it in a bob....

Ground-breaking Aspie fashion!
We'll be looking for you on the fashion runways. :D

nakedmardou
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2009, 1:18 am

I just went to the hairdresser's yesterday! The lady there knows me well after only 2 (well, now 3, visits, and i am very grateful that she remembers my name and previous hairstyle and everything, even though the last visit was 6 months ago.) However, she keeps on complimenting me, every single visit on how thick and lustrous my hair is and how she wishes she had hair like mine! I know that I should be pleased, but after the third or fourth time it just becomes really awkward for me.

"I would kill for half of your hair!" Uh, i hope not.. :?

And i feel out of place trying to keep up with conversation too. Then halfway thru the haircut i decided to get a drink of my Sobe beverage, and cut my hand, and didn't realize till about five minutes later, when i said, "Umm...I'm bleeding..." and the lady FREAKED OUT, all "omigod omigod omigod." And THAT made me feel horrible, along with the fact that she seemed ASTONISHED that I didn't like cucumbers or watermelons or action movies...

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:54 pm

nakedmardou wrote:
I just went to the hairdresser's yesterday! The lady there knows me well after only 2 (well, now 3, visits, and i am very grateful that she remembers my name and previous hairstyle and everything, even though the last visit was 6 months ago.) However, she keeps on complimenting me, every single visit on how thick and lustrous my hair is and how she wishes she had hair like mine! I know that I should be pleased, but after the third or fourth time it just becomes really awkward for me.

I have the same thing happen... I just say "It just grows up there, I have nothing to do with it." and let on I am thoroughly bored by it.

I've also found that many hairdressers have a script, too, and if you let them run it, you don't have to do much more than mumble... Mmmm... from time to time.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 2:44 am

I saw my hairdresser again the other day. I didn't ask for much at all, but he spent lots of time perfecting his work and was very proud of the results (which I admit were excellent). However, he's unaware that hardly anyone will see it. The sensory aspects were harder this time; he even blew stray hairs off my neck a couple of times. (I'm glad he's gay.) But there was almost no small talk this time!

HamOfCydonia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2009, 12:44 pm

I have a real problem with getting my hair cut at a salon. I actually left it to grow for eighteen months before finally getting it cut a month ago to avoid it. However, I have found that if you go to a nice place (I went to Toni&Guy after doing a lot of research and reading reviews online) they are very careful and quick and accurate, and ask you if you want to read a magazine before they sit you down - if you say yes to the magazine, they assume that you aren't comfortable 'chatting' mindlessly to them and don't initiate it.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:26 am

My hairdresser is a guy, but he still likes to chat

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 2:06 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
nakedmardou wrote:

I have the same thing happen... I just say "It just grows up there, I have nothing to do with it." and let on I am thoroughly bored by it.

I've also found that many hairdressers have a script, too, and if you let them run it, you don't have to do much more than mumble... Mmmm... from time to time.

I have gotten the exact same script...I find it annoying because I know it is a script...it is insincere...and automatically fosters mistrust in me. I also recall sitting in the waiting area listening to the same hairdresser spew her script on the person who's hair they are doing.... :? grrr... I hate that kinda stuff.....

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 7:27 am

I have great difficulty with hair cuts. It took me awhile to figure this out, and kept looking for that perfect experience. I hate the way the sink hurts my neck for a shampoo (so I dont do it anymore) I'm usually hurting for days on the back of my neck right there. I don't like the way my hair is styled the times I have payed to have it done or had it included. I am pretty good with my own hair and cut it myself for awhile during my discovery time. I went from hair down past my waist in long layers to short, short hair, and was so liberated!
Now I have ventured out again, since it is summer and I don't want to try to thin out my thick hair and get it really even in the back- super short with layers, I sought out a salon again. As luck would have it I think I have actually found my match. I found this incredible man who is OCD and has his salon just how I like it, a one chair show! No chemical treatments going on while I am getting mine done disabling me from breathing, no other chatter boxes playing their social games, no answering the phone a million times while I sit there and wait with wet hair in my face! He is likely going to be my salvation, though it is still really hard for me! I can't fully understand all the reasons why, and I know it is made worse when there is stress in my life in general and there is right now. When I am touched and interacted with in this way I take it too deeply into my person, if that makes sense. I find myself processing through the interactions of these kind days afterward. Why? Do I care so much about what I said to the hairdresser, not really, but somehow my body/ mind takes forever to process such "service" done to me. This guy & I even had a real conversation that had nothing to do with my hair once we established what he was doing with my hair. He told me about his OCD, I told him about Aspergers, the spectrum, and myself. He was genuinely interested and we spoke of spiritual things and children, divorces and life. I came away totally overloaded to the point of phyiscally humming it seemed in every fiber of my being. Even though it went well it was still somewhat stressful. He at least didn't make a big deal I didn't want any of his products which I'd likely be allergic to and do not enjoy anything other than natural products anymore. He didn't mind that I left while my hair was still wet and I was unable to tell it is still a little to long... so I am going back for more trim next week. For some stupid reason I get anxiety thinking about it.
I'd like to therapy myself past this. I am hoping I now have the hairdresser to do that with.
I am finding more and more that these situations I do so horribly in have to do with me and my needing to make it an environment that is safe and secure for me so I can be okay. It is going to take me awhile to turn this thing around since I spent the first 33 yrs just trying to do like everyone else. It has only been a yr since trying to figure out how to do things MY way. I'll figure it out... eventually! I'm hopeful<g>

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Quote:
I would like a hair style that would maybe allow me to have braids in the front and the rest of it in a bob....

Ground-breaking Aspie fashion!
We'll be looking for you on the fashion runways. :D

It seems to me that it would be possible to cut your hair like that (with 2 length levels) if you wish.

I don't like strangers touching my hair, etc. (plus when you have long hair, hairdressers sometimes are "cut happy" and go too far cutting it) so I've cut my own hair since I was 19.

My hair is bilevel; half of my hair is short and cut to be naturally softly spikey on the top, but the other half is long enough to touch my butt.

To maintain it, I just put half my hair in a top knot (the short part) which I secure with a rubber band and cut it so there's only 1-2 inches of hair in length. Then, when I free my hair from the top knot, my hair is full and softly spikey on the top, but I still get to keep my hair long too.

I save a lot of money cutting my own hair. I trim the top of my hair every 2 weeks. For me, it takes about 5 minutes to do.

INTJ.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 7:37 am

I've never liked strangers touching my head, and until quite recently was equally adverse to people I knew doing the very same thing. Consequently I don't get haircuts very often.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

18 Oct 2009, 12:27 pm

I used to go to Toni & Guy because they let me have a regular hairdresser. She was awesome because apart from asking me what I wanted, and whether I wanted tea of coffee, she wouldn't say a word all the way through it. Unfortunately, she went on maternity leave. Last time I went I had this chatty blonde girl who I felt uncomfortable with because she was obviously talkative, but I can't carry conversations on, so it was awkward. She also rushed and didn't listen properly, and I'm not happy with the cut. Next time I hope I get someone else.

I do love the hair washing though. I all but fell in love with the last guy who did it.. I wanted to say something flirtatious afterwards but I was so turned on I couldn't speak! :lol: I don't mind the pain of the neck thing either.. but that might be my kinky side coming out!

I need to acquire a friend who can cut hair. I have yet to make my fiancée wash my hair. He's good at back massages so I don't see why he can't! :mrgreen:

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 6:21 pm

Hairdressers tend to be very social, chatty people.. how about telling your hair dresser about your AS? For that matter, given that it's pretty common now, and that hair dressers tend to talk to lots and lots of people, chances are they at least know someone who has an aspie kid.
It might even be possible to mention in on the phone when you make the appointment? Maybe they might be able to recommend a particular person who is good with awkward people..

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 10:21 am

I have problems going to the hairdresser. I've had so many bad experiences at hairdressers in the past couple of years that I've come to expect bad experiences.

My sensory issues don't really bother me at the hairdresser. I actually like having someone touch my head, wash my hair and such, as long as it's done with normal care.

I feel awkward while sitting in that chair though, because I'm not much of a talker and I can't think of things to say to people I don't know and I can't really comment much on what they say because they talk about things I'm not interested in and don't know much about.

My main issue though is not getting what I ask for. A common scenario is that I describe what I want my hair to be like, the hairdresser is surprised that I want something like that because it's not really "in" at the moment and she comes up with a different suggestion, but I tell her I want to stick with what I asked for. She starts cutting my hair and she goes behind my back and does what she wanted to do with it instead of what I asked for and when I find out it's too late to change it back or "fix" it. I end up with a haircut that I find hideous and uncomfortable.

Once there was a misunderstanding and a hairdresser cut my hair 20 cm shorter than I had asked for. I was very shocked when that happened. And last time when I had my hair cut the hairdresser gave me a completely different haircut than I asked for and she did it so badly that I had to go back there to make her fix it and it was still not done well.

I used to always go the same hairdresser, but she's retired now and I haven't found a hairdresser I like since that and keep trying different ones but am always unhappy with them.

I'm going to need a haircut soon and I'm not happy about that, because I fear it's just going to end up with another disappointment and a meltdown.

Meow333

25 Oct 2009, 3:54 pm

I cut my own hair or i have my wife do it for me. I can't be bothered going to the haircut place, it's too uncomfortable. I don't like the mirror in front of me i can't look at that then i see people looking back either the hairdresser or otjhers i don't know where to look and it all around just sucks. I'm not one to bother with my hair at all.. lucky if i even brush it. My wife comes after me with a hairbrush.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 4:43 pm

yesterday I cut my hair and today I dyed it, in the summer I made a homeperm. . I got routine on it since long time and its worth the effort as long I dont have to go to a hairdresser

ILoveMusic

18 Nov 2009, 1:36 am

Ugh! I absolutely hate doing the hairdresser thing and have been cutting my own hair for at least 20 years because of it. My hair usually looks like crap and my sister recently suggested that I get a "Flowbee" haircuting system. So I got one and love it!