Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jerry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2009, 10:35 am

Very recognizable. Don't like my hair being pulled, it really hurts, so have to tell the washers to be extra gentle, only to forget to tell them that the way they give it a quick dry with the towel always catches some hairs and pull them from my skull...

And that big razor thing they use to clean the edges... had to tell them not to bother, it grows back within a week anyway, and I was cut with one once. that was the last time I went to that barber...

now I just go twice a year to a cheap barber around the corner, and live with the result the first month cause it's too short, and the last 2 months cause it's really a bit too long.

This guy doesn't talk, so that's good. In the past, I just stay silent. they get the hint, or I just don't pay attention and they can chat all they want, I'm counting the dots on the poster behind me or something.

Bring a magazine with you, don't wait for them to ask. that should give them a hint.

And it's good to remember they have heard it all before, and also have very demanding clients, so should be used to people telling them how they like things. Telling a professional what you expect from them is so much easier for me than making chit chat. It has a purpose, there are clear boundaries, I bloody pay them to give me what I want...

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2010, 7:00 am

Quote:
You gotta be kidding. A hairdresser? cut my own.
been to a salon maybe four times in my life and i am nearing old boiler stage. I equate it with the rather explicit images outlined in Dante's Inferno...probably one of the inner circles.

Amen to that!! ! I really think I may have found my people!! :D

I've been thinking I was strange for years! Always had a deep seated dislike of hairdresors and their small talk and therefore have cut my own hair for years

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 1:29 pm

I see a stylist who runs his shop out of his apartment. Nice old gay european guy. I don't see him to often, maybe twice a year. I don't have to deal with a busy salon.

I don't put any product in my hair either, but thankfully I don't get problems for that.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 1:40 pm

One of my main partner's lady-friends turned out to be a hair dresser, and she cut my hair.
I didn't understand most of what she was talking about, but it looks a lot better.
She said she was at my disposal for touchups and whatnot once a month...i need to hit her up pretty soon. She also cut Flakey's tangled rats nest into something more manageable...but I agree with her that she should have let him layer it a little bit.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 4:10 am

The only issue I have with hairdressers is that many would charge women more for a haircut than a man, even if it is to just get a basic cut without the fancy curls or shampoos.If a guy came in with long hair to get it cut short it costs him less than a woman who goes in for the same basic thing. :twisted:

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:27 am

Yes, I hate going to the hairdresser. I know that they say you're meant to go once every 6 weeks to maintain a style, but I go once every 3 months or wait until my hair starts to look a bit scraggy. I don't have a fringe, even though I like the look of a fringe, because I don't want to keep going in to get it trimmed. I find getting my haircut an ordeal. All the girls in my local salon are really nice and this is the only salon I've been to where I'm not scared out of my wits. But I still feel really awkward. I never used to tip hairdressers because I didn't know how to. Now that I've worked it out I do. But that was always an ordeal for me because I didn't want them to think I was mean.

I also have problems getting the haircut I want. I don't know how to explain what I want. I just want to look good. I don't know why, but I have a sort of obsession about my hair. I love it, it's thick and auburn and very unique, but I can't do anything with it like my sister can and I cry every time I come home from the hairdressers. Sometimes I have little emotional breakdowns after visiting the salon. Hence the reason I go as little as I need to.

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2010, 1:07 am

I could never leave my hair alone; I always had to do something crazy with it. I was bored and understimulated. I dyed it blue, dyed it green, dyed a third of it darker brown, layered it myself, tied it in knots and put paper clips and elastic bands and bobby pins and anything else I could find in my hair. Then later 3 of my friends tried to get it all out and they got some out but now it didn't look like a manic I-need-something-to-do thing, but simply an I-let-myself-go thing...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:56 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I like bobs really....but I also like the flexibility of being able to have braids...i like braids....

I would like a hair style that would maybe allow me to have braids in the front and the rest of it in a bob....

I wonder if such a haircut could be pulled off..

I always thought that as I got older, I would want to wear my hair in a long, thick, silver braid.

Well, that's unrealistic, because now I understand that hair comes in differnent textures. Mine is very fine and smooth, with lots of hairs that don't seem to grow beyond about three inches long. I grew my hair long, and found that that I could put it in a little scrawny braid about the diameter of a quarter, but that wasn't what I wanted. And genetically, I seem to take after my mother, which means my hair will probably still be mostly dark when I'm 70. So the long, thick, silver braid is a look I am not destined for.

After almost 40 years of never having a good hair salon experience, I finally found someone who consistently makes my hair look good. So I keep going back to her. The problem is that she wants to talk. And, like every other hairdresser around here, her English isn't quite good enough for me to be able to understand what she's saying. I answer her in monosyllables because, frankly, half the time I have no idea what she's saying. Also, I don't like the personal questions, like how my kids are doing in school, or what I did for Christmas. And I hate that I feel so uncomfortable with those kinds of questions, because I know she's just trying to be nice. Also, about five times I have forgotten to come for an appointment, so I feel a little guilty about that.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:12 am

Shareese wrote:
I could never leave my hair alone; I always had to do something crazy with it. I was bored and understimulated. I dyed it blue, dyed it green, dyed a third of it darker brown, layered it myself, tied it in knots and put paper clips and elastic bands and bobby pins and anything else I could find in my hair. Then later 3 of my friends tried to get it all out and they got some out but now it didn't look like a manic I-need-something-to-do thing, but simply an I-let-myself-go thing...

:lol:

When I was in high school, Stevie Nicks was my special interest, so I attempted to dye my hair blonde so I'd look more like her. :roll: I had no idea how to do that, and had too much "social anxiety" to ask for anyone's help or opinion, so I bought bought some Miss Clairol. My hair is naturally the color of dark chocolate, so I bought the lightest color available, and ended up with a slightly brassy, lightish brown. At the time, I had what I thought was acne, but was probably ecxema (sp?), so my cheeks were always red. The new hair color made that look worse.

I was letting it grow out, but one day my friend's mother said she couldn't standing looking at my horrible hair anymore, so we all got in the car and went to the drugstore, to do a home dye job, to get my hair back to it's original color. They dyed my hair for me, and it looked great. For the first day. Then, the parts where it had been dyed over the previous dye job turned green. Not an attractive, punky green, but a sickly dye-job-gone-wrong green. With my red cheeks, that was particularly attractive. Not!

I'll never dye my hair again. Not just because of that experience, but because I now realize that my natural hair color (and healthy hair) is one of best features.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 3:02 am

I get my mom to cut my hair unless I want something complicated. In that case, I just go to the mall or something where the person doesn't know me and if I ever go back, I'll get someone else.

But, I get chitchat like that with my chiropractor which is why I stopped going. My freaking neck is killing me, but it beats half an hour a week of "So... what's new?" and me saying "Nothing" then pretending to give a s**t about what's new with her. :roll:

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 11:52 pm

I really dislike going to the hairdressers, partly because I struggle with my hair looking different afterwards, but mainly because I can't stand having my hair washed.
I tend to go about once a year to have it cut (when the split ends get so bad that I have to get it cut) and I go to a really un-trendy salon where they don't wash it first, and if I'm not the only person there the other customer is usually an old lady getting a blue rinse.