Something I noticed whenever I don't put my gender down...

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 5:22 pm

On some sites and even youtube, I decided not to put my gender down...that is if it's an option.

What's so hysterical is....most guys assume I'm a guy without giving it a second thought that I might be female. Some disagree but not to the extent on other websites where my gender is noticeably that of female. I even get guys who will eventually agree with me whenever I discuss my whole perspective on a topic....without bringing up anything about my gender. This doesn't happen so much whenever my avatar is either girly or my gender says female. More times out of my gender being blank I get bias feedback of the usual that it's because I'm a girl or even worse...feminazi...

Not saying all guys are like this but this has been thus so far entertaining and strange at the same time. I know that sometimes being a gender may help one understand another to a certain extent but man....do I wonder how much bias-ness goes into your gender or sexual orientation without it really making a difference on a topic or conversation.

Anyone else ever had this experience? :lol:

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 5:28 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Anyone else ever had this experience? :lol:

I haven't, because I always include my gender. It would never have occurred to me not to. But now that you mention it, I just might try it, just as an experiment.

You bring up very interesting points. I don't think there's any doubt that there's gender bias involved when people respond to you, or to things you say.

Wouldn't it be fun to switch genders in real life for, say, 24 hours? I think it would cause a social revolution of unprecedented proportions.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 5:33 pm

You should definitely give it a shot.

You're almost treated like a king in some sites... :lol:

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 5:48 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
You're almost treated like a king in some sites... :lol:

Because they think you're a guy?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 6:04 pm

People do make assumptions about gender. I have been attacked on this site for being a male who was attacking females because of some alleged affilliation with some mens rights group or movement I had no connection whatsoever with. When someone pointed out to this poster that I was in fact female, she ceased and desisted.

On other forums I have been universally assumed to be a male until I commented on some issue pertaining to feminism (without indicating my gender), at which point it was suddenly assumed I was female.

One time, this person on a website was having a go at me and referred to me as a “man” in the course of insulting me. I stated I was not any kind of man. This person then went on to question whether I was a boy or some kind of transexual or transvestite. Apparently the possibility that I was female was beyond their ability to imagine.

It is kind of weird.

13 Aug 2009, 6:04 pm

People have thought I was a guy at IMDB :lol:

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 8:24 pm

oh. i wish there were an "other" box for gender, as a general rule.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 9:11 pm

I've played World of War Craft for years and it's been a big isuse I'm ethier called a liar,hit on , treated like a I couldn't know how to play so they ethier tell me what to do step by step or demand the group stops me so they can get a "real" player. One guy even asked me to spank him over a vocie sever my husband and I own, my husband was running the raid group at the time and wasn't happy. Once in a very while some guy tries to give me things so I like them then I tell them my age, that I'm married and most of the time that I have a child a few years younger then them. This puts out the fire most of the time lol.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 9:54 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I even get guys who will eventually agree with me whenever I discuss my whole perspective on a topic....without bringing up anything about my gender. This doesn't happen so much whenever my avatar is either girly or my gender says female. More times out of my gender being blank I get bias feedback of the usual that it's because I'm a girl or even worse...feminazi...

I've forgotten what the actual term for this experience is, but it's a recognized sociological phenomenon. Briefly put, members of any social group will discount criticism or observations that come from members of an outside group. However, if a member of the group makes exactly the same observation, sometimes in exactly the same words, other members of the group will not only listen, but often agree or make attempts to reach a compromise. People will, quite simply, listen more readily to people they perceive to be most like themselves.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm

as a mod, many times I am referred to as a guy. referred to as a 'he' thinking that Merle is a guys name and why would a woman 'sin boldly?'

I take it as a compliment. I am sure it is intended as one. :roll:

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 12:30 am

sinsboldly wrote:
as a mod, many times I am referred to as a guy. referred to as a 'he' thinking that Merle is a guys name...

I'll admit to being guilty of this -- which is odd, when you consider that my mother's middle name is Merle. :lol: I always thought it was pretty. It means blackbird, but I'm sure you know that.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 5:52 am

Everyone is always assumed to be male on the internet, even though its not true, people generally think of males as default internet users.

Its even worse in a place like this or on gaming forums, as they ARE mostly males.

I don't think its because any particular female user comes across as boyish.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2009, 6:45 am

When I don't put my gender down I am often assumed to be a guy.
I'm not really sure why but I'm guessing it is something to do with the manner in which I type and converse with other members.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:04 am

pschristmas wrote:
I've forgotten what the actual term for this experience is, but it's a recognized sociological phenomenon. Briefly put, members of any social group will discount criticism or observations that come from members of an outside group. However, if a member of the group makes exactly the same observation, sometimes in exactly the same words, other members of the group will not only listen, but often agree or make attempts to reach a compromise. People will, quite simply, listen more readily to people they perceive to be most like themselves.

I remember that from Sociology classes. They will also more readily change their attitudes if the speaker is perceived to be someone with authority or power.

I used to notice that the success of attempts to introduce new technology into a company depended far more on the person doing the introducing than it did on the technology. Related phenomenon, I think.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:28 am

pschristmas wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
as a mod, many times I am referred to as a guy. referred to as a 'he' thinking that Merle is a guys name...

I'll admit to being guilty of this -- which is odd, when you consider that my mother's middle name is Merle. :lol: I always thought it was pretty. It means blackbird, but I'm sure you know that.

Pack up all my care and woe
here I go, singing low

bye, bye, blackbird

no one here can love or understand me
oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me

so make my bed and light the light
I'll arrive late tonight,

blackbird, bye bye. . .

What Isadora Duncan was singing when she roared off in that Stutz Bearcat . . .

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 8:07 am

There's a weird saying I once heard - 'there are no girls on the internet'. I'm not sure what that means, except maybe it's assumed all posters are male and the women are just there to be eye candy.

Has anyone else heard that one? And have any different explanation?

Last edited by activebutodd on 14 Aug 2009, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.