Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

giggles184
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2009, 2:09 pm

Arghh

Had to have my 1st smear test yesterday OMG it was honestly the most excruciatingly painful thing ive had to endure to the point where the nurse couldnt carry it out. She put the clamp in but could not open it enough to be able to conduct the test :cry: I wasnt expecting a walk in the park but OMG and then this morning i was in that much pain i couldnt even stand up or move without crying!

Really dont know what the heck to do now as im terrified of that pain all over again because she couldnt do her job basically! Any advice...

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 2:48 pm

No pap smear exam should hurt that much. It is quite obvious that the nurse who performed this exam was inexperienced and
did not have enough knowledge to perform this exam.

I have a family member who is an Obstetrician/Gynecologist and who is adored by all his female patients... a pap smear exam
is only a minimal discomfort when perform correctly.

I would look for another practitioner for those required, annual exams...preferably, a gynecologist in a private office or make
an appointment to see the gynecologist at your local Planned Parenthood clinic.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:09 pm

My sister has had a similar experiance with her smear. Not that bad though. :( She told me she was tender for while after the test. I bet you get extreme hellish cramps as well. If so, I feel for you! My sister's cramps were enough to drive someone uncontious. Her doctor suggested useing very small tampons or masturbateing with one finger, so the vagina could expand a little. My mother has had both painful and non pain smears. I have had no pain. The test doer being experianced really helps, so ask the people who work there who would be a good choice.

You are NOT going to take a mamograme are you?! You had best recover first if you will do so. They smash boobs in that test. I totaly agree with Zsazsa to! I had someone with much experiance.

I'm sorry if you are feeling really :pale: right now. :( I was trying to be helpful. Can't blame you though.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2009, 5:43 pm

Here you have to have one 3 mths after having a baby so I had my first last year. It was a bit yuck, and I'd not run back for another, but it was quite managable and short.
Sounds like that nurse was TOTALLY inexperienced!

If you go again to someone else though I would advise taking something to be calm first as you don't wanna be all tense after an experience like that. Even if it is rescue remedy or chamomile or something. Just to be relaxed.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:05 pm

I agree, you should maybe try getting someone else to do it...I'm just 18 and I had my first one done not too long ago. It only hurt bad enough for me to go "ow!" but it wasn't too bad. And it didn't hurt at all after it was over. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to get a mammogram 8O

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2009, 8:08 pm

Those mammograms are supposed to be nasty!

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 11:04 pm

The nurse had no idea what she was doing if you were in that sort of pain a day later. You should never let that women near you again and make sure the doctor knows how baddly she hurt and that you never want to be seen tby her again!! !

Mmmph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2009, 12:09 am

Mine feels a bit uncomfortable, but I've never had pain like that before! My OB/GYN is very gentle. She even makes me laugh by taking my mind off of what she's doing (once I made her laugh, though, and she couldn't do her job). She has rainbow toe socks on the stirrups.

If I were you, I'd mention your incident, and change doctors. That seriously sounds mind-scaring.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:43 am

There is a possibility it might not be the nurse on balance.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm

The only time I had any pain was when I was having an infection there. Normally, the discomfort is very minor, only a tiny amount of cramping that goes away.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 12:07 am

my pap smears are always very uncomfortable. My doctor tells me they are not painful for women who are sexually active.

Vanessa-Jane
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2009, 6:52 am

Mine have got more painful as time has gone on, probably because my endometriosis has also got worse. 'Bracing' yourself, because you think it might be painful, actually makes it hurt all the more. 'Just relax' says the nurse. Ha. After my last one, I had bleeding for about 3-4 hours and pain for a day or two. It's unpleasant, but better that than dying from cervical cancer...

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 9:51 am

Pap smears are nearly always uncomfortable, even for sexually-active women. I experience a "pinching" sensation and some cramping every time, and I've been getting them done yearly - as recommended! - since the age of 18. They should NOT be excruciatingly painful, nor cause prolonged agony.

To the OP: are you a virgin? If you are, did you inform the nurse of this fact prior to the exam?

~Steve Jobs

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 2:19 pm

Mine are VERY painful. I haven't had one at all. No matter how many times my drs have tried(there have been at least two), it's just too painful. They just can't go deep enough to get to the cervix. When they take it out, it's such a HUGE relief.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Oct 2009, 7:19 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
There is a possibility it might not be the nurse on balance.

May I ask how many Pap smears you have experienced, and with how many different Gyn nurses or doctors, to make a comment like that? I'm just curious. :?: