Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:35 pm

I'm considering having a IUD (not the hormonal IUS) because I had such a bad reaction to the pill, and I need something for contraception. The only thing I am slightly concerned about with the IUD is the increase in bleeding & pain it can cause and the pain while having it put in. I'm quite oversensitive to pain, so my concern is the 'slight discomfort' to some would be total agony to me. If anyone could share their experience with the whole procedure, I'd appreciate it!

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

8yrs ago I had the mirena IUD, the initial insert is a very uncomfortable experience and includes cramping, but its better than pills or pregnancy. If it continues to be uncomfortable after a few weeks get it checked, mine slipped to the side they didnt discover this till I had it removed due to discomfort.

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 6:39 pm

Well I'm pretty much used to period pain, I think it's the procedure that worries me more than the pain after. Mind you, 10 minutes of discomfort & a few cramps after to be free of the worry about becoming pregnant & having to phaff with other contraceptives is a fair trade. Some of them last up to 10 years, I'm 24 now, so I might only need 2-3 fittings to take me up to menopause if I could have one of those.

For me with all my physical issues & weird reactions to chemicals & hormones, it is the safest fuss free method out there. I could probably push doctors into tying my tubes, but I honestly don't want to go through surgery when there is a method which is just as effective and only takes 10 minutes.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 12:04 am

I have not, but I did use the nuvaring and thought it was awesome. I have tried oral contraception and they all had side effects that bothered me a ton. The ring didn't, you still have periods though and I don't think you do with an IUD. I would try drugs.com and search by the IUD name because people put reviews. There could be a chance of someone commenting on the procedure...if not, then almost surely if you google something on the having an IUD put in.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2010, 11:28 pm

I've decided to just go ahead and get a tubal ligation followed by NovaSure endometrial ablation, which should take care of the fertility and pesky monthly period in one fell swoop, but seriously considered a Mirena IUD for a little while. Unlike the copper T IUD, which makes your period heavier, the Mirena releases a tiny amount of progestin hormone over time, so most women's periods get lighter or nonexistent after a year or so. The total amount of hormone is far less than what you'd get on the pill. The gynecologist that I asked about it raved about Mirena, saying it is the best long term reversible birth control out there and she has been using it herself since the birth of her last child. She said it is currently approved for only 5 years, but that it is actually effective for at least 7 and the company is trying to get it labeled for 7. I'd read insertion is more painful for women who haven't given birth and was concerned about this, but she said if I took a hefty dose of ibuprofen beforehand it wouldn't be a big deal.

fleeced
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jul 2010, 5:00 pm

i had the mirena coil fitted. was bleeding heavily at the start but then virtually nothing. would have kept it in if it wasnt for the weight gain.