Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2010, 4:44 am

hi, due to low weight i stopped getting my periods for 2 yrs i am now 17 and i only got them for 6 months when i was 15, now im approaching the weight needed, and im frightened about getting my period as i hate blood and i fear feeling sick or throwing up(its a huge phobia for me) some people have said they get ill when they have their periods, and im afraid of the eventual accidents like what i have had in the past, and at nearly 18 its not as forgivable to need to change in the middle of the day or to be awake in the middle of the night to scrub the matress and change the sheets, obviously i dont have"white skirt confidence" about this issue, and on top of that i hate pads as i am sensitive but cannot use a tampon or mooncup due to sqeamishness

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2010, 6:12 am

You need to tell your doctor about this - he/she might be able to help with something to control your periods, and you can maintain a healthy body weight without worrying.

There are some methods of contraception that can considerably lighten periods, or stop them entirely. For instance, if you take a combined pill, your periods will probably lighten a lot, and you can choose when to have them - you only need have a period every six months if you want, if you run the packs of pills together.

As for pads, I hate them too, so I like to use re-usable fabric ones because they are less sweaty and irritating. They do have to be cleaned, though, by soaking them in water. I like these ones:

http://www.wemoon.com.au/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 6:24 am

aspie_giraffe wrote:
hi, due to low weight i stopped getting my periods for 2 yrs i am now 17 and i only got them for 6 months when i was 15, now im approaching the weight needed, and im frightened about getting my period as i hate blood and i fear feeling sick or throwing up(its a huge phobia for me) some people have said they get ill when they have their periods, and im afraid of the eventual accidents like what i have had in the past, and at nearly 18 its not as forgivable to need to change in the middle of the day or to be awake in the middle of the night to scrub the matress and change the sheets, obviously i dont have"white skirt confidence" about this issue, and on top of that i hate pads as i am sensitive but cannot use a tampon or mooncup due to sqeamishness

Birth control pills greatly reduce the number of periods a woman has, however there are side effects you should be aware of as well.

It might be worth it to work with a therapist over getting over your fear of blood though. At least as pertains to this particular situation.

Tsiiki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2010, 12:19 am

Its not so bad... you get used to it...

I don't know what you generally wear, but generally you'll have enough time to avoid ruining some clothing (if you feel any wetness go to bathroom to check, otherwise you'll just notice whenever you go to bathroom, which is generally what happens to me, its all 'oh... period...')

I rarely have any emergency pads/tampons with me, so usually it just shows up, so I use toiletpaper and make my own pad until I can get a proper one

Once it comes back, mark it on a calendar, and try to calculate so you ahve a general range of when it'll come back again so you can be prepared... (I don't do this, but a lot of people do... and helps keep you from accidents and stuff)

The pain... varies from person to person and changes over your lifetime... I will get a slight cramp before they come, that I usually mistake for a stomach ache, then the rest of it... nothing. So I'm really lucky in that regard (thank god I'm not puking from pain and agony... then again, almost do that from normal stomach aches)-- if you mark it on your calendar you can take motrin a day or two before, to help reduce the amount of pain when it comes... and I think drinking a lot of water helps a lot too

As for the blood... I don't know, I guess I might be a bit morbid and obsessed with blood, but its kinda cool >_>;;; (*alsocutsherselfandplayswiththebloodsonothtebestpersontotalkaboutforthis*)

Blankets and sheets... just use dark colors or patterns and stuff where it can blend it... mine have blood marks on them from my cuts as well, but seeing as I'm only one living in this house, I don't give a damn ,it doesn't bother me *shrug*

but yeah, you can also have birth control to reduce it

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 1:08 am

Once you have gotten it two or three times you can figure out about what time it will come every month. You can mark it on the calendar. If you have any symptoms like cramping, wearing a pad will stop you from making a mess. I've never soaked through to my sheets (and maybe only once through my pants) so I don't think you have to worry about that. I bled a ton my first period, so it may have just been your first time.

You can talk to your doc about birth control to stop or lighten periods, but it will mess up your hormones so that isn't good. Taking birth control has more of a chance of causing nausea than your period does (I've used multiple kinds). I think if you have a nausea/vomiting phobia, get a prescription to anti-nausea meds to keep on hand (promethazine, zofran). I have them (not for period reasons) and I do just fine. I've never had nausea with my period.

I'm sensitive to one kind of pad, but found another that worked fine for me. You'll have to try some other kinds...stayfree worked well for me. I didn't use tampons for like 7 years because they freaked me out, but I finally did and now I can hardly bring myself to use a pad. You'll feel so much cleaner and fresher, and won't feel like you're wearing a diaper or something :? Try using one of the ultra-thin kinds of tampons until you're used to them. I started out with them, and soon I could use the super (big big) kind.

Other tips:
1. you crave chocolate on your period because it has magnesium, so feel free to take magnesium supplements
2. bananas are good for period pain (potassium maybe? low potassium can cause nausea anyway)
3. midol (period medicine) is just caffeine and ibeprofuen, so you don't have to pay extra for it
4. heating pads are invaluable on your period
5. naproxen is supposedly the best med if you have cramps

I've had mine since I was 11, so I think I'm just kinda over it now :roll:

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2010, 1:12 am

I don't know if they'd insert one in someone so young, but it sounds like Mirena the IUD would be a good way to lighten/eliminate your periods with minimal hormones.