Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

lilypadfad, you may now count your state of denial as a contribution to the title of this thread. I suggest you look at some actual statistics - from law enforcement, not from 'mens' rights' sites - about percentage of rapes reported vs. percentage of rape accusations that are false.

The fact that you consider physical assault and battery - not just being mugged, mind you, but being effectively held down and tortured for the pleasure of your assaulter - to be less bad than someone saying something bad about you, frankly says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about feminists.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 9:18 pm

lilypadfad wrote:
The media love writing these articles in such a way as to let the imagination run wild....

You never answered my question. Have you ever actually interacted with someone who's gone through the post-rape process?

Your views, while opposite of this story, seem entirely based off of the media and not off of people. Knowing what those people go through is what makes me say that a false rape accusation is not near as bad as getting raped and then being treated as a criminal.

People will judge someone who is falsely accused of a rape, and they can get up and move and escape it.

Someone who's been raped has to deal with that for the rest of their life and doesn't have a way to run away.

There's one thing I'd agree with though - I don't like this being "yet another reason I'm a feminist". It's not about feminism, its about rape. It'd be absolutely no different if it was a male raped, other than that fewer people would believe that he was raped.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 9:39 pm

Rape is a horrible thing and no one should have to go through it, man or woman.

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 6:58 am

Quote:
lilypadfad, you may now count your state of denial as a contribution to the title of this thread. I suggest you look at some actual statistics - from law enforcement, not from 'mens' rights' sites - about percentage of rapes reported vs. percentage of rape accusations that are false.

Why should I trust the statistics from law enforcement? If you ignore that they are normally infected with the same feminist dogma/mindset as our politicians, they have everything to gain by inflating the stats. You'll find statistics are tinkered with and abused or outright manufactured by both sides to further their own goals and acceptance of their worldview. I rarely cite them for this reason. Anyway lets consider the "60%/70%/80%/90% of rapes are unreported" factoid and why I don't believe it.
I hope you are at the very least highly skeptical as to how anyone can reliably estimate the number of unreported rapes. Dig a little deeper and much like the infamous "1 in 4" statistic you find a few things:
1) Rape is redefined to include a whole range of incidents that probably shouldn't be considered rape. Most importantly though "consensual sex that is later regretted" - normally sex while inebriated and non-penetrative sexual assault (aka groping/spanking/pinching - not nice, but it's world away from rape) are often both counted as rape.
2) The statistics are often gathered from flimsy surveys with ambiguous questions like "Have you ever been forced to have sex?" A yes answer could mean anything from a violent rape in a ditch to a horny boyfriend whining until his girlfriend says "ok fine"
3) When they have evidence a rape _might_ have occurred, but was not reported, they flat out assume it happened. (e.g. using statistics from hospitals where patients come in with bruising around the genitals or asking for STD tests - might be an unreported rape, equally it might have been rough sex with a partner who was assumed to be clean). It takes very little time for "X thousand women might have been raped" to become "X thousand women were raped"
4) Creative interpretation often combines the results of two or more unreliable statistics to create another extremely unreliable statistic. The same creative interpretation of statistics can lead one to announce that 98% of all rape allegations are false. Which one should I believe represents the truth?

Quote:
The fact that you consider physical assault and battery - not just being mugged, mind you, but being effectively held down and tortured for the pleasure of your assaulter - to be less bad than someone saying something bad about you, frankly says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about feminists.

It's just a personal thing, I'm not trying to definitively say which is worse. I'd rather be raped than have everyone secretly believe I was a rapist despite being fully acquitted. I'd rather be raped than lose a limb too but that's just me. Both of you ignored my extreme example. Surely if we were going to quantify wrongs, then an innocent man who has his name dragged through the mud and is then incarcerated and raped himself (multiple times) has been more gravely wronged than a woman who was raped once.
It may be a male thing, in those links in my previous post, two men chose suicide over living with the (undeserved) "rapist" label, they didn't even get to a prison. Is it worse than rape itself... maybe, maybe not. Anything that can drive people to suicide and others to murder is obviously very serious.

Quote:
You never answered my question. Have you ever actually interacted with someone who's gone through the post-rape process?

Your views, while opposite of this story, seem entirely based off of the media and not off of people. Knowing what those people go through is what makes me say that a false rape accusation is not near as bad as getting raped and then being treated as a criminal.

Lets assume the feminist statistics are right, 1 in 4 women have been raped in their lifetime. So I guess 1 in 4 women I have interacted with have been through the post-rape process. Hmm.
I've met people who I have later discovered were rape victims, but I'm guessing you mean have I ever visited the hospital bed of a rape victim a few hours after the fact.The answer is no. Even if I did, my views would not change, I'm not immune to human suffering but we have to remain emotionally detached when making these laws and procedures. If I couldn't, I'd probably let my protective instincts get the better of me and think it was fine to falsely accuse a man of rape and leave him open to murderous retribution, prison rape and loss of reputation so long as one woman isn't potentially hurt further.

Quote:
People will judge someone who is falsely accused of a rape, and they can get up and move and escape it.

Someone who's been raped has to deal with that for the rest of their life and doesn't have a way to run away.

These things go on permanent databases not to mention the effects of trial-by-media, it usually catches up to you sooner or later. Even if moving away (exile?) was effective, why are you ok with that? Please tell me where do you draw the line? What do you consider is a reasonable amount of harm innocent men should endure in order to see justice served in rape cases?

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

You know almost all of these issues would go away if we just started giving anonymity to those accused of rape and other serious crimes. Why, oh great feminist philosophers do you and your coven continue to fight legislation to that effect?

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

LKL, I fear you're just wasting your breath with this neanderthal.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

Yes.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:53 am

This is just another failure in the school system. The male student was probably an important member of the football team, and they couldn't risk their chances of winning the upcoming game.