I welcome advice related to dealing with emotional anxiety

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

artista
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2009, 3:41 am

:? Does anyone have any tips for me? I am new and welcome your constuctive comments on how to deal with anxiety. I am feeling particularly anxious at the moment because I am returning to visit my family, who live in another country, who I haven´t seen for 3 years. They know about my sons diagnosis with aspergers and I have explained briefly to them that the problems that I had as a child were very similar. I have a very good relationship with my son and have dealt with his difficulties in a very different way to the way my family dealt with mine. I am worried that something will go wrong and I won´t read a situation right and will get upset. I have changed so much since I last saw them. I am alot stronger now than I used to be. I know I should´n´t be worried. I had an arguement with my partner last night. He said I shouldn´t go there expecting the worst but it´s very difficult for me to just turn off my emotions. I have some terrible memories of when I lived at home. I forget about these now I live abroad, but when I go home it reminds me of everything. I try to look at things rationally. Now I have an idea about my own difficulties I can see why I clashed with my step father. We have found it very difficult to communicate. Rather than discussing this as adults, the past has always been ignored and the atmosphere as a result is always a little tense. I don´t want to cancel the trip as I am really looking forward to seeing my mum and sister. I have tried meditation to try and calm myself and this works a little. I get so frustrated at myself because I have a good job, which I am very good at, and I feel so silly because I just don´t seem to be able to get a grip of my emotions when it comes to my family relationships. I try really hard to hold everything together but sometimes I feel like a little lost child.

Artista

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 6:50 am

I suppose my best advice would be to remind you, when you go, that you are no longer that child. Being around your family can make you feel like you're 10 years old again, and it's easy for them to treat you the same. So when you're around them,and you feel like that's happening, just say to yourself, "I am an adult, I am a parent, I am in control." When you look at them through older eyes, they won't seem quite as big as they used to.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2009, 6:01 pm

Try to express your feelings about anything that bothers you, and not be afraid of reactions.