Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Spirochete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

I love the look of a lot of the clothing that's popular right now- pretty dresses, flouncy skirts, lots of details and ornamentation- but I can't wear probably a good 80-90% of the stuff that catches my eye because the materials, the fit, or both are wrong. I can't do lace, wool, or slippery fabrics (my "job interview" outfit my mom helped me pick out has a silky polyester shirt that I desperately want to burn), nor can I tolerate clothes that are really form-fitting and constricting or, conversely, too loose or baggy. Bras are a nightmare and I avoid them whenever possible (I'm pretty flat). I own a couple of cotton skirts and one cotton dress that I love and could gladly wear every day, but my mom is pretty quick to call me on it if I wear something more than one day in a row, so my typical out fit consists of a sports bra, cotton t-shirt, boy-fit jeans or shirts, and the Converse sneakers I've been wearing since eighth grade (I'm now entering college). I always look really androgynous and that is not how I want to look, both because I like girly clothes and because I want to fit in with other girls my age. Does anyone else have the same problems? How do you deal with it? I don't want to go to school looking like a boy.

sally7171

01 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

I have a similar issue except I have trouble wearing girly clothes/jewelry/heels because I feel like a clown in them, like I'm trying too hard.

Is there an Ann Taylor LOFT store in your city? Most of their clothing is made of comfy washable fabrics and the styles are very feminine.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 5:15 pm

I also have had similar issues. While I no longer wear girly clothes ever, I used to have to for work. The cheapest and best place with the most comfy fabrics was easily H&M. Give it a try. I think they have an online store if you wanna see if thhats you taste.

Good luck

(PS: I still have and wear my converse from HS. They are 15 years old lol)

Spirochete

01 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

Thanks, and glad to hear I'm not the only one still wearing ancient sneakers, lol.

LovesMoose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

Well, I'm 41 years old and still struggle with clothing and makeup. It took years for me to realize that simply adding some color to my clothing choices can help me seem more feminine. I blend in decently enough that people would be surprised if they were to know about these struggles. Makeup is a hard one. I can't stand wearing it, and every day it feels very unnatural putting it on. But I'm kind of expected to wear makeup at work. It's just something I feel I have to do. What I wear is minimal, but it still really bothers me.

Back to clothing, I try to find shirts that have a little shape and a slightly scooped neckline. Nothing low or revealing, but just softer than a basic t-shirt. If you choose a size larger and wear a tank top underneath, you'll be comfortable and will look cute. The big thing for me has been finding my brands that fit me well and I really like. That way I don't have to comb the racks and shop from store to store. Learn your sizes and your brands/stores and go from there. You can even buy online or in thrift shops. Almost everything I own is second hand.

You don't need to own a lot. But choose things you love and make each thing count and feel right.

:P

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

Hey,

Same like you. I cannot wear tons of clothes as i can only wear cottons and hosiery. When i was younger i used to get them stitched i.e. my mom stitched them. I cant get them stitched now as my will not stitch and i need my clothes to fit right or i will never wear them. I.e. not tight nor loose. So i looked at a lot of stores and fixed on brands that i found use pure cotton and hosiery. They cost a bit more but then they last longer. Also i do a lot of mix and match. I am very fussy about colour and pattern too. So i buy one skirt and mix it with tops. I cant say i am ever in style, but i can definitely say no one will call me a guy. :-)

In terms of style i like the 70ies clothes line a lot. I used to be obsessed with dresses when in teens and i could not wear trousers until i found the perfect kinds which was when i was in my 20ies. My suggestion would be:
1. go to shops alone or with mom to just look. Not buy.
2. Always check the material description. It will say cotton if it is cotton.
3. Try it if you like it.
4. Dont try more outfits than you can process.

Go with someone who knows what kind of stuff you have issues with.

I know when i initially started to shop i could not figure out what i could wear. So my mom would tell me, "you will not wear this". So i would say "i will show you i can wear it" and then not wear it. Slowly i learned to take her advise. Turns out she knows this stuff as she has dressed me all my life, so she knows how i can get if i am forced to wear something i cant. :-)

chazz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

yeah...its such a big problem with my mum when she finds me wearing the same clothes again..it's annoying. I've tried online shopping it's good..it works better for me..but then i do end up having all the clothes of same style

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 11:35 am

I just don't like wearing the current fashion because I don't feel me in it. I'm happy in jeans and a T-shirt, which is still fashionable, but I meant fashion like those long thin cardigans, those tops what look like maternity wear, and those really tight leggin things with dolly shoes. I can't wear dolly shoes anyway - too narrow for my wide feet.

Also I seem to have a hatred of tags in clothes. I hate seeing them on other people's clothes and I hate them being seen on me. So that's why I don't like wearing all these thin see-through things or ''mesh'' things because tags can be seen.

Stupid fashion.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

Quote:
.its such a big problem with my mum when she finds me wearing the same clothes again

Then i would suggest just do window shopping. When you do window shopping, look for places which has materials you can tolerate. Then try 1 thing at a time and buy 1 thing at a time. Mix and match stuff. So a comfortable pair of jeans with a hosiery/ cotton girly top. A draw back of online shopping is that

1. you cant check the texture and fit
2. when you go shopping you will see what others girls wear too. Typically they will hang around in the same shops. So you could get an idea about an outfit even before you try it.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:01 pm

I tried the "girly" crap off and on for many years. It only caused tears and arguments and identity crisis. I dressed MallGoth all through, well the majority of Middle School. Now I am just starting to dress like that again(MallGoth).

You really shouldn't care what other people think. I still wear jewelry and makeup but it's within my MallGoth style. Thank God I am getting a job with a uniform.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

lizzybeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2012, 5:00 pm

I enjoy shopping, and feel good in clothes in the dressing room, but once I get it home it just sits in my closet. The majority of clothes in closet haven't been touched in months. I always rely on my stretchy pants, soft capris, and t-shirts.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:45 am

I dont have this problem as badly as other women on the spectrum. I hate bras, since my breasts are flat and wide its soo hard to find bras that fit. I do have a few underwire bras, but i dont like the underwire cause it gets itchy. Otherwise, i typically like soft stretchy materials. Sometimes there are pants and socks where I try them on and it had this sorta itchy feeling. One of my pants was bothering me so much one day that I put on a very comfortable pair of cotton/spandex shorts underneath and that provided so much relief! I'm mostly picky in terms of comfortable footwear. I mostly wear closed toed shoes. I dont like sandals because my feet form caluses easily and get dirty and they also get cold easily. I dont like to wear anything with a hard bottom which a lot of sandals have.

For me, if anythings uncomfortable, I try to see if I can wear something comfortable underneath. Like one of my shirts has all these detailed patterns and stitching in the design so i wear a sports bra or camisole to prevent mild itchying.

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2012, 9:22 am

Thank God they started screen printing tags on clothing instead of sewing in tags.

I don't like anything too stiff. Starchy clothes are torture, but soft, worn-in cotton is awesome. I hate bras, but I have to wear them. I try to do sports bras when I can get away with it. Yoga pants are great as long as they're loose enough.

Instead of foundation, I wear tinted moisturizer. It isn't so heavy and goopy feeling.