Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

Uh as I have no female role models in my life. I would like to ask somethings... :oops:
I get "spots", heavy cramps, really bipolish, and then I start bleeding. From what I have looked up this isnt normal, and my mother is so old she doesnt remember what its like to have a period.....(Shes 65 and had a hysterectomy at 23ish)
So my question(s) is/are this: When one starts "spotting" is this the first day of the period? What does "spotting" mean(as in relationship to girl cycle)?
Also is getting bipolarish, back and stomache aiche when and spotting to the EXTREME normal for the time of the month? I have Ibuprofen on hand but it doesnt do enough for me to make me comfortable.....

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

It sounds in the range of normal, keeping in mind that everyone experiences things differently and what is "normal" for one woman would be odd for another. If by "bipolar" you mean easily irritated, agitated, annoyed, moreso than usual. Yes that is normal, in my opinion. Your body is working it's process, it isn't like a flood. There's no gate that is like unleashed. So I wouldn't worry about it, but you could always talk to your Dr. about it if you are concerned.

Ibuprofen has never worked for me for cramps, but I swear by aleve or store brand of naproxen sodium. Taken with a little caffeine, like a mt. dew, can restore order to my universe. I think those (naproxen and caffeine) are also the ingredients in Midol, marketed to women for cramps, but generally, I prefer to just have aleve on hand because seems to be less expensive and sometimes I don't want caffeine.

If you have a smart phone, there are apps that you can use to track your period so that you can understand what is usual for you and begin to expect your period. It is sort of interesting, and nice to not be caught off guard about it. One app is called OvuView, it is free.

Hope that helps!

helles
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:20 am

Also be avare that things can change during life. I used to have backace and be very tired, that have almost gone now. Try to look into things like exercise and diet, it might be able to relieve symptoms.

Childbirth (pregnancy) will often change your symptoms, due to the hormonal balance being altered.
After one pregnancy I started to get really strong PMS symptoms (going into a derpession several days every month is not very nice), that was fixed with P-pills (the pill in english, I think). It somehow reset my hormone balance. I actually think some women get the pill just to get less adverse effects of the period.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

Yep, normal enough. I swear by the ibuprofen though, otherwise I get cramps and nausea worse than the flu. It's been mentioned that that might be a hormone sensitivity though.
Spotting is bleeding between periods. I would guess that what you're describing is just the beginning of your cycle.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:25 pm

I'd say it's normal... Though, what exactly did your mother get the hysterectomy for? I'm asking because my mother about 13 years or so after she had my younger brother, she got a hysterectomy due to endometriosis complications and since she was fine with having two children, well... she went ahead and got it done and she has been happier than ever.

It is genetic and can be passed from mother to daughter, so it is a good idea to get a pelvic exam regularly beginning when you are about 21 or if it worsens to the point that it becomes unmanageable and it controls your life, whichever comes first. Your doctor can give you birth control if it is very severe to make it less painful and even though there may be people who think birth control makes you a slut or something, just know that endometriosis is a legitimate health issue and you are using it the same way as you use any pain medicine, to make living with a disease manageable.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
I'd say it's normal... Though, what exactly did your mother get the hysterectomy for? I'm asking because my mother about 13 years or so after she had my younger brother, she got a hysterectomy due to endometriosis complications and since she was fine with having two children, well... she went ahead and got it done and she has been happier than ever.

It is genetic and can be passed from mother to daughter, so it is a good idea to get a pelvic exam regularly beginning when you are about 21 or if it worsens to the point that it becomes unmanageable and it controls your life, whichever comes first. Your doctor can give you birth control if it is very severe to make it less painful and even though there may be people who think birth control makes you a slut or something, just know that endometriosis is a legitimate health issue and you are using it the same way as you use any pain medicine, to make living with a disease manageable.

She had cancer. She was also tired of having children. She started when she was 12, and had her hysterectomy when she was 23. She had kid one at 14,and the others when she was like 17.Birth control wasnt well known when she was growing up (shes my grandma),and grew up very early so she doesnt remember whwat its like tohave a period except that she hadto deal with children, her husband(at 14!) and working, and so I have no reason "to be a bi*** on my TOM according to her"? (SHE USES THE SHE HAD CHILDREN, WORK, ETC AS AN EXCUSE ALL the time)
I may not have children but thats because I CHOOSE not too(thats right she CHOOSE to have them), I take care of my next door neighbors kids alot, work part-time and go to school.
Anyways do I have a rightto be a bit moody(besides what I wrote up above in myoriiginal post)? Also if guys talk about their guy problems with me, why dont they repricrocate and help me during my TOM?

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 10:53 am

Even i get severe pain during periods i started taking combiflam during periods so that i can atleast sit or stand
after getting diagnosed with thyroids now i am getting strange symptoms like severe back pain or nausea sensation.
the symptoms vary from time to time
you could be having hereditary problems just take some pain killers to ward off the pain.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

I <3 ibuprophen.
Some amount of moodiness is not unusual for some women; I usually don't have a problem with it, but occasionally things that I normally wouldn't even notice have become intensely annoying to me for a day or two. As for spotting, it might be normal or it might not; it's not a bad idea to talk to a provider - even a GP - to get a real medical opinion, and possibly a script for something stronger than vitamin I if that doesn't work for you.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

Do you mean a bit of spotting then the period starts or spotting well between periods? Spotting between periods can be normal or it can be a sign of something wrong. It was a sign of something wrong for me.