Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2013, 2:35 pm

Stress makes women over-sensetive to sound

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-01-s ... itive.html

From the report:

Quote - "Women suffering from stress-related exhaustion exhibit hypersensitivity to sounds when exposed to stress. In some cases, a sound level corresponding to a normal conversation can be perceived as painful."

Quote - "When you are hypersensitive to sound, some normal sounds, such as the rattle of cutlery or the sound of a car engine, can feel ear-piercing..."

At home today I was laughed at when I complained the sound of clashing plates as the dishes were put away was too loud. I wondered if my sound sensetivity was partly migraine-related, however I was intereted to discover that this report suggests stress can play a part.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

I have found that when I am feeling stressed, anxious, or very worried I am easily startled or highly annoyed by sudden loud sounds or unpleasant sounds. I think this is pretty natural since your body is already anticipating danger and maybe it's stronger in women because of our "protect the children" instincts even though I have no kids and don't want to. This weekend my anxiety over "killer flu" and what a doomsayer online said to me had me jumping or becoming enraged by things like some kid in an apartment below me who keeps making thumping or banging sounds. Of course men in general don't understand and think emotions at are worthless, so go figure if they act so insensitive. :roll: When I first successfully moved into my first apartment years ago my anxiety was so bad I'd actually scream at the sound of the doorbell, even when I was expecting someone to come see me!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 4:29 pm

I am more sensitive to noise when stressed and my threshold for stress seems to be lower than most peoples probably. But I thought being overstressed would make anyone more sensitive to sensory input not just females.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:15 am

Interesting...I had a very stressful Thursday last week, and when I got home again, everything seemed really loud. I had to ask my husband, who is soft-spoken, to lower his voice! I wonder if it was because I was tired and stressed?

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

Yes, I agree stress sound sensetivity probably affects both men and women, though only women were considered for this test.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

I do have some sensativity for noise but it tends to mix itself with social anxiety. If I am exhausted, I will become overwhelmed from the loud sounds of people talking. But it doesn't seem that loud machienery bothers me any more then usual. Normally, I dont have a high tolerance for certain noises in any case such as lawn mowers, ticking clocks, beeping sounds, etc.

Seattle
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2013, 4:10 am

To explain it to my husband I said it's like Grendel in the new(ish) Beowulf - the CG one with the throbbing eardrum. My right eardrum literally throbs like that. And my emotional response is pretty much like Grendel's, too.