Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Peachypops
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2015, 3:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new around here - and on a pretty new journey as a self-diagnosed Aspie.
One of the things I'm finding hard (among many) is finding a way to relax. Sometimes I find it hard to 'let go' and allow myself to relax. I often feel guilty like I should be doing something, or like my mind is whirring and my muscles are tense.

Do any of you feel like this? What do you do to get over it and relax?

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 4:07 pm

Gardening, it relaxes my mind though it tires my body.
So then I have a nap :)

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Nap, bath, read, watch tv

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:46 pm

If I can get undisturbed time alone with some waterbirds that I visit regularly, that's the one and only activity that truly, profoundly takes me out of myself and makes me forget all my worries. I let the birds come up around me and after they've eaten some feed they often take naps around me. There is something about the close proximity of these animals, and their acceptance of me, that I find deeply calming and healing.

Also, watching a movie I can get into; reading a book; finding something to laugh about.

meganardo
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2015, 10:02 pm

I feel ya. I'm Aspie and OCD, so when my mind gets going about all the things I "need" to do, I get that guilt that builds up whenever I try to relax. My counselor tells me to take one day a week to just sit around and watch movies, read, or just do something that I want to do to relax. This isn't always doable on busier weeks, but when I follow her advice, I feel more energized and better equipped to deal with people during the rest of the week.

Just reading a bit, vegging out on a bit of tv or a movie, having about half an hour of quiet time, or walking around a park can really help me relax. If I'm having trouble relaxing or am really frustrated or angry, I have a punching bag that I beat up. :ninja: :lol:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 10:15 pm

I like to sit outdoors, preferably in a place where there is grass, trees, warm sunlight, and few people.

On occasion, movies are ok for distraction from troubling thoughts, but I find myself turning to them less and less because they reflect too many of the negative aspects of society.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 7:24 am

starkid wrote:
On occasion, movies are ok for distraction from troubling thoughts, but I find myself turning to them less and less because they reflect too many of the negative aspects of society.

I hear that -- it definitely has to be the right movie. Many movies actually increase my stress and anxiety levels if there's something going on that I get too into and it's of a crisis nature. I have to turn those off for another day.

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2015, 5:30 pm

starkid wrote:
I like to sit outdoors, preferably in a place where there is grass, trees, warm sunlight, and few people.

Diddo on the outdoors part, my favorite form of relaxation is coloring outside while listening to water sounds.

AliceKathleen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2015, 9:37 pm

Yoga, gardening, a good novel, a good film, playing with my cats. Gotta, gotta, gotta have a cat (or two ).

Comets
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

I'm a bit of a workaholic and have been encouraged to just let myself relax for an afternoon instead of working on something or other. Setting aside time meant for relaxation specifically helps, I think. I turn to music (lately Collective Soul) or a light-hearted television show with no other distractions.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2015, 4:16 am

Bath + adult beverage :lol:, yoga, breathing techniques, being alone in nature..

All of these, of course, alone.

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2015, 3:14 am

I start either working on 3D origami or playing videogames.

flamingo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2015, 10:11 am

I usually like to play video games or listen to music, but a couple years ago I used the Internet to teach myself how to crochet. Sometimes my mind needs one thing to focus on and my body feels like I could run a marathon, so I can focus on the yarn and crochet furiously with the hook :D

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 6:16 pm

Gardening, this is my preferred method.
A raw cacao drink, its bliss in a cup.
A walk in the woods/near water with my dogs.
Go for a drive, no towns, no traffic, just concentrating on the road.
Arts n crafts, a bit like driving, making new earings etc, and getting the design just right.
Or exercise until I have no energy left to be anxious :).
And meditation, before bedtime, focussing on each of the muscles, feet to head, tensing then releasing.

addseo1115
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2015, 5:21 am

I am new around here too.
Nice to meet you.
I have enjoyed with your profile all.
Great!

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 8:26 am

Usually, I play video games or listen to music. Those are my main hobbies that relax me.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre