Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 2:54 pm

The missing period and cramps can be a big clue. Make sure the doctor checks for fibroid tumors (happens when your hormones are out of sync) and/or endometriosis (happens when the lining doesn't slough off correctly each month. Both of those can cause missed periods where you still cramp. In both cases, the 'blood' is caught around something that doesn't belong in there (endometrial tissue or a fibroid tumor). Please do not let this cause you stress. Neither of these means you have cancer or indicates it. They are both just dysfunctions that any good gyno can help you with.

I am also sure there are other things that cause this, but you should at least check it out with a doctor because it could be one of these two.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 6:15 pm

Mere stress can cause skipped periods as well. Don't freak out over possible more serious things when it could be something as simple as stress.

Also, if you are very thin or very athletic, underweight people often have irregular or long cycles. My sister was a gymnast and has 2 month long cycles just like what you are decribing, except she had light spotting as well as cramps in the middle. She has never had any more female problems since quitting gymnastics at 18 (got too tall) and is currently pregnant with her 3rd child. :)

DEFINITELY go see a gynecologist or midwife, though. THis is definitely something that should looked into by a health professional.

I wish men would stay out of these discussions! :roll: Especially when it's a young girl who is obviously embarrassed already. Jerks!

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:31 pm

wendytheweird wrote:
I wish men would stay out of these discussions! :roll: Especially when it's a young girl who is obviously embarrassed already. Jerks!

So I can say essentially the same thing you did (the same advice I would give my daughter, in fact), but since I have an X chromosome instead of a Y chromosome, my input makes me a jerk? Gee, thanks.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:40 pm

diseased wrote:
wendytheweird wrote:

So I can say essentially the same thing you did (the same advice I would give my daughter, in fact), but since I have an X chromosome instead of a Y chromosome, my input makes me a jerk? Gee, thanks.

I think she was referring to SilentJohn who made a comment to the effect of, "Let me look." (I dismissed it as aspie humor.)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I talked to my mom about making an appointment. I'm not overly skinny - about average -, not very athletic (in fact, my only sport ended about a month ago due to weather), and I don't think I'm stressed. I just wasn't sure whether or not it happened commonly or if I should get it checked out. Thank you all for your advice. (And telling me what to expect with the first visit.)

Thanks again,
Heather

Three years!

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 9:05 pm

Heather,

I can only tell you from my own experience and that of people I know. For myself and my sister-in-law, we were both misdiagnosed for years. That's why I told you to make sure they checked for those two things specifically. I don't want anyone else going through years of symptoms and having the doctor miss the diagnosis just because you didn't ask. I really don't know why doctors don't go through a checklist and check you for every eventuality, but they don't. Life would be so much simpler if they did.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2007, 9:16 pm

I'm past menopause now, but my periods were always all over the place - directly related to stress.

You *really* need to find your own doctor. Maybe you could go to a clinic? Ask for a female doc if that's what you want.

This is not the last time you're going to have these kinds of questions. Everybody will be glad to give you an opinion but a doctor is the real answer. If you get your own, then you'll get used to talking to her, and you'll be comfortable with her. Please try it - you don't have to do everything all at once.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2007, 12:55 pm

diseased wrote:
wendytheweird wrote:

Sorry, I meant the men who were acting like jerks. I should have been more specific.

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2007, 8:00 pm

I haven't had a period in months thanks to my anorexia.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 8:08 pm

I had exactly the same thing happen to me...for years nobody could figure out what was happening...I was given every kid of pill you can imagine. Finally, after about 12 years, I found out what it was. It was a "prolactinoma"... small tumor in my pituitary gland. Your gyno can check your prolactin levels. I actually went to my gyno and told him, please check my prolactin levels...