Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:53 pm

This is inspired from the following thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt246437.html

Do you sit on the toilet before looking at it? and why? And do you blame your spouse for not putting the seat down?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

I look before I sit because I share my home with an 11 year old boy who leaves copious pools of urine all over the seat. I didn't use to look, but it seems that it is easier for me to look than it is for him to stop doing that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 2:03 pm

I always look at the toilet before sitting down so there is no way I can fall in the toilet. I did once but only because it was the middle of the night and I didn't have the light on so I fell in when I sat because my husband didn't put it down. After that I started to feel it before I sat. In fact I am always putting the cover down because I can't stand looking in there.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:16 pm

^^^ This
edited..I was asking for trouble

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:36 pm

http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/excl ... -of-the-er

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 5:00 pm

Misslizard wrote:
http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/exclusive-clip-woman-is-stuck-in-a-toilet-on-untold-stories-of-the-er

http://www.livescience.com/3150-doctor- ... -seat.html

It is expected from adults to be more aware than kids.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

^^^Ouch.Maybe a good reason to get rid of a heavy lid.
I usually look,but I'm not tiny enough to get stuck. :D
I try to keep the lid down because I have shelves above the toilet and I don't want to accidentally knock something in there.
My son leaves the lid up all the time,I just put it down.No biggy.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 5:11 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^^^Ouch.Maybe a good reason to get rid of a heavy lid.
I usually look,but I'm not tiny enough to get stuck. :D
I try to keep the lid down because I have shelves above the toilet and I don't want to accidentally knock something in there.
My son leaves the lid up all the time,I just put it down.No biggy.

I've realized it's a cultural etiquette after all.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
The idea that you think I see this as a gender war seems like a form of projection. This is more about me trying to see the rationality behind why one should go out of his/her way to appease someone else for what seems to me to be very trivial things.

In the case of a toilet seat, if someone demands that the toilet seat be down at all costs, then I'd want to know why exactly this is a problem that only I could solve by complying, and why it is a problem if I don't comply.

If anything, it seems like, in the absence of any valid reason, that this is quite manipulative and no different from being a control freak.

Yeah, I mean is it really that hard to look at the toilet?? Or take it up?? I don't believe it can be an issue, no normal sane human being would make an issue out of it.

Doctor's Advice: Leave the Toilet Seat Up

:o

Quote:
the social norm of putting it down.

So it is a social and probably specific culture's cultural norm after all - that's why all the local women I've told about this spousal debate in the west found the whole thing totally ridiculous and extremely odd.

It probably is. I never had any female who were living in the same house as me ever even whine a little about the toilet seat being up.

If it's for sanitary purposes, then the lid should also be down anyway. I think it's much more reasonable for one's partner to suggest that both the seat and the lid be down after use than for just the seat.

Yeah, so probably both Christian and Muslim Lebanese/Arabs don't have this "seat toilet etiquette.

It seems tho, it's a common etiquette for English-speaking countries, and women there are so used to it that they probably jump-flip their asses on the toilet without even looking at it because it's the societal norm for the seat to be down, and when it's up....oops, fire in the hole!! !

While our ladies, like men, adjust the seat accordingly when it needs to because there's no seat norm.

Also, they do not install bidets, so their toilet rooms tend to be smaller and narrower? Still, I don't think this would affect much their vision field on the toilet tho.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:15 pm

I can't help but look, because as I walk into the bathroom, I see the toilet already. I'd rather not fall in.

honeyaureus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2013, 6:16 pm

One time when I was really young, my mother (who was obese at the time and lifted the toilet seat so she could use the bathroom) left the seat up and I forgot to look, and I took a dip in the toilet. I think that was the first time I ever swore. :lol:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:25 pm

I have to admit that I don't always look. My boys are pretty good about the seat, and I'm not always on top of my surroundings. I have taken an unexpected dip once or twice.:mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 4:42 am

^^ * facepalm*

Do you Americans/Brits use invisible transparent toilet seats?? I've been laughing for two successive days on these forums.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:11 am

I think it is because as children, little girls and boys usually live together as brother and sister and share a toilet. Little girls tend to toilet train earlier then boys and so to stop the little toddler girls taking a dip, the boys are taught to put the seat down.

Self intitled girls which are becoming more common place in western societies want everything "their way" as they are taught they can and deserve it. This is just one of the first things they remember as a child that they take into adulthood.

This is my theory anyway.

So I'm never in a rush

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 5:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/exclusive-clip-woman-is-stuck-in-a-toilet-on-untold-stories-of-the-er

Its as well expected to understand that the word seat comes from sitting. And that your wife is not your mummy of your 12-year old being, that has to care if you are able to use a toilette-seat.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:02 am

Schneekugel wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Its as well expected to understand that the word seat comes from sitting. And that your wife is not your mummy of your 12-year old being, that has to care if you are able to use a toilette-seat.

Hahahaha what are you talking about? You totally understood the issue I am talking about in the opposite way.

In the scenario I am talking about (which is apparently common in English-speaking countries); it is the women who complain that their husbands don't put back the seat down since sometimes they fall in because they don't look before sitting. I can understand this might happen to female infants and their father should be considerate if it is happening, but for adults??

It is expected from adults, men or women, to be aware enough of their surrounding and adjust the seat before using the toilet.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:11 am

Yop, thats what I meant. With an grown up husband, I dont expect, to look everywhere, if he left something as its not supposed to be. And as the word toilette seat mentions, its supposed to be used while sitting. Thats what its designed for. That I need to look behind a child, if it lefts everything propperly is normal. But an adult, unable to use a toilette seat = use it and leave it as it was before, just as everything else in the house, so that noone else needs to go behind you and care that you leave everything the way it was, may it be kitchen, bath, toilette, ... is nothing that you expect from grown up people. You could as well say, that I need to expect, that you leave a mess in the kitchen, and that there could be something slippery on the floor, because of me needing to be aware, that men should be totally stupid, and so unknowing, that they would not know, that if you loose something slippery on the kitchen floor, that you clean that up, before leaving the kitchen.

But I dont think of men being that stupid. I relie on them, being totally able to use their brain as every other human being on earth and so not leaving the kitchen, when having lost something slippery on the floor, without cleaning that. You simply leave rooms, as you find them. Easy rule.