I'm reading fifty shades of grey and I don't like it

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 11:08 pm

I haven't been even slightly interested in read (or watching) the Twilight or the FSoG book(s?). I'm not into S&M, and while I like some romance, I hate pathetic heroines.

MissMaria
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2014, 1:41 am

LKL wrote:
I haven't been even slightly interested in read (or watching) the Twilight or the FSoG book(s?). I'm not into S&M, and while I like some romance, I hate pathetic heroines.

Same!

My SO and I sat through some part of the Twilight saga in movie form, I can't remember which, because we'd been invited. We both hated it.

Just because it appeals to prurient interest doesn't make it erotic or romantic, in my book.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 2:46 am

I've never read it and don't intend on reading a book that is full of sex. :eew:
I prefer to read books that have proper stories such as Di Morrisey and lately I've started reading Jeffrey Archer mum is only giving me the ones of his that are not to complex.
And are easy to understand.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2014, 2:51 am

I bought the book on a recomendation. I read the first 10 pages and ignored the book. A year later I tried again, skimmed through the book, but ultimatly found it very cliche (pronounced "dumb").

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

Atom1966 wrote:
I feel like the only female in the western hemisphere who doesn't like this book.

One of the things that bothers me about this novel is the fact that the main caracters are nothing more than a cliche in the end. The female main character is a 21 year old virgin, something that can be seen as a rarity in this day and age. The male character is a 27 entrepeneur who has not only managed to become a multi millionaire at such a relatively young age but is strikingly handsome as well. Yet another rarity. In my opinion these characters are nothing more than the main personae in the average, cheap romantic ladies novel. The only bizarre difference is the all too evident S&M side of this novel. Not my personal taste at all but so be it.

Countless women are raving about this book. It is supposed to be the best erotic novel for females that has ever been written.
So why oh why do I find it impossible to be that enthusiastic. It makes me feel like a freak and a loner, which is actually an accurate description of myself come to think of it.

Has anyone else here read it and what is your opinion?

My sister read it and she said that it was stupid. I haven't read it and I don't plan to.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2014, 3:06 pm

I have stopped reading it now because it started to bore to death. That means that I didn't even manage to read the whole book.
I switched to other reading material that I do find interesting since I am in 'reading mode' at the moment, which means that I am reading 24 hours a day and around seven books a week. I can't even afford to buy that many books but I do it anyway.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

Me, too! At about 3 books a week rather than 7, but definitley reading more than usual. The local used/new megabookstore (Powell's) had a 30% off coupon a few weekends ago :)

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

I refused to read the Twilight books, and from what I've heard about 50 Shades, I won't be reading it, either.

I also can't stand pathetic heroines. :roll:

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 5:06 am

I dislike cheesy romance novels with a focus on sex. No interest what so ever in 50 shades of gray.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

The consensus here seems to be 'No, thanks,' on 'Fifty Shades of Grey.' It makes one wonder just who *is* reading it.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

LKL wrote:
The consensus here seems to be 'No, thanks,' on 'Fifty Shades of Grey.' It makes one wonder just who *is* reading it.

Old, lonely NT women with unfulfilling marriages maybe?

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2014, 10:46 pm

My conclusion is that the quality of the writing is quite poor. Even the sex scenes are boring yet odd at the same time. That means that this book offers no fulfillment at all, not even for NT women with dreary marriages.

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2014, 5:10 pm

I read it so I wouldn't be hating something I know nothing about and- it was exactly as terrible as I thought. Inaccurate (and dangerous) portrayals of a BDSM relationship, awful writing, not at all interesting sex scenes etc. etc.

That being said I can understand why so many women who obviously have had no experience in that area would be curious and therefore interested in the books. And I'm sure 90% of the women who enjoyed it didn't do so because of good writing. If there were more (and better) erotica in main stream lit for women I'm sure there wouldn't have been quite as much of a fuss.

thymps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2014, 5:11 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
LKL wrote:

Old, lonely NT women with unfulfilling marriages maybe?

Hit the nail on the head! :wink:

opal
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:27 am

From what I've heard it's badly written mils and boon, with s&m flavour

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm

Most people have ghastly taste in fiction. I wouldn't worry about it. And my guess is that most of the thrill for the readers has to do with the transgressive nature of S&M -- you know, you're not supposed to want it. So if you're already straitjacketed by social roles, maybe. The kinkiest cultures seem to me to be the most crazy-repressed. Witness Canada, Leather Shoppe to North America.

Some years ago I tried reading The Story of O because it's such a bfd. Incredibly awful. Repulsive scenes, characters, writing. I was determined to finish it, though, so I kept it past the library due date...and kept it...and kept it. Never did finish it, paid a huge fine, and no doubt the librarian thought I was just so desperately kinky I couldn't let go of it.