menintights
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 3:42 pm

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 7:00 pm

What's going on here? I took ballet as a tot and lyrical as a college student...but Pluto isn't much of a planet in comparison with Earth, and its relatives Mars and Venus. What's the connection?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 7:32 pm

I took ballet for approx. 8-10 years as a child. Probably the biggest reason I am built the way I am and can't buy pants... :x
This has NO connection to the Pluto thing but technically Pluto is classified as a Dwarf Planet according to an old edition of National Geographic.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 9:28 pm

Pluto IS a planet because I dislike change.

Pluto IS NOT a planet because I like to be accurate.

Pluto is a dog instead and I'm done with it.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm

I took ballet when I was a little girl. I was clumsy and adorable but we couldn't afford it anymore so I gave it up when I was nine.

Pluto's a planet because, if I may apply Dr. Seuss logic to this scenario, a planet is a planet no matter how small. :)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 11:27 pm

chaotik_lord wrote:

QFT :lol:

Yes, I took ballet. However, I quit because my teacher yelled.

(She didn't even yell at ME, I think she was just loud in general and I didn't like it.)

EmirDynamite
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2011, 5:50 am

chaotik_lord wrote:

This. I don't know how to answer that poll.

I took ballet for six years, until I reached the point where I couldn't do the moves and the teacher kept yelling at me to suck in my stomach, when I switched to jazz dance, kept going for another four years, and loved it.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 11:36 am

Yes, but I was really uncoordinated for my age because I grew so much so I quit.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2011, 11:51 am

No. I never really was interested in being a ballerina. I had a friend that took ballet, though. I'm kind of surprised I never took it just because she did. I took ice skating lessons when she did and went to Bible camp when she did.

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2011, 1:19 am

I did ballet for a year or two, then, when I was five, told my mom I just couldn't handle the pressure. lol.

I just look Pluto up to see what it's current classification is, and found out there was another dwarf planet that's even larger than poor little Pluto. Why don't they make bigger announcements about this stuff?

NadineWolfe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2011, 5:40 am

I did it for the 3 years I went to private school; at that place, girls did ballet and boys played sport, no exceptions.

beccah

02 Jan 2011, 3:12 pm

Yes,for about 10 years except I could never understand the technique and how to apply it and always got it wrong because it looks different from MY perspective and how I think,they could never explain it the way I can think.a huge contradiction.I cant calm myself down enough to enjoy it but I can never explain or realize I have anxiety issues because of how I perceive/explain things and I always assumed it went along with AS issues and I never had anxiety when I took psych exams or went to a doctor because I block it out and they don't let you explain it that way so Ive never gotten help for it and I always thought it was being overwhelmed . >:l -facepalm-.It's actually always helped my coordination and other things and gives me something I'm good at so I don't feel like crap but I have ever been able to express myself correctly because I don't know how to and I can never explain it right to get help.I love it though.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2011, 2:48 pm

Yup, ballet & tap in primary school years. Tried it again once as an adult, bloody difficult but I think it'd be great to help with balance & not seizing up.

Poor Pluto, the thinking was that there are similar sized bodies futher out so where to draw the line. Classic fence-sitting, i'd be happy with 'planetoid' :lol: The worst part is having my brain rewrite the '9 planets in the Solar System' default position. Gagh. Just make your minds up already.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2011, 4:46 pm

I took ballet when I was younger for two years I think, perhaps when I was four and five. I believe it was before I started school. My parents wanted to find me some sort of extra-curricular activity (to make friends outside of church) and since I refused to join the swim team because I was being pushed into it by my swimming instructor they decided dance would be a good idea because it was still physical but "less competitive" haha. It wasn't a bad idea, but it was frustrating because I'm dyslexic so when everyone else would go left I would go right and it was really difficult to make friends. I stopped ballet when I went to kindergarten.

Pluto is a Kuiper belt object and dwarf planet. I am still not sure what that has to do with ballet.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 7:16 pm

I was forced to do jazz ballet when I was a kid, but able to quit after 2 years simply because the girls were little b*****s.

I was good at it, but no-one should put up with that treatment.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 8:19 pm

I took ballet for a few years as a child. Then when we moved house, I quit it to try something else (netball).