Are you better liked when people think you're male?

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 6:58 pm

^Um...You can ban me for this if you want, but please don't ban me from Wrong Planet entirely! Doesn't it say what Raleigh's gender is on her profile? [I'm a girl too, by the way.]

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:05 pm

I'll have to defend Raleigh on this. I don't think she's trying to deceive anybody.

(Even though she doesn't like me for some reason LOL)

There are quite a few people here who have avatars which are of the opposite gender.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:06 pm

^Catlover, for instance.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:11 pm

Yep....He makes it clear that he's male.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:26 pm

People gonna use whatever pic they want, and there's nothing you can do about it.

For some reason I remember having read someone mention it in this thead, but CBA to read again to check.
Raleigh said in her posts that she's a girl before the gender display got fixed.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think women are well-liked because they tend to be gentle, to have decent social skills. They tend to smell nice, too.

This is just a generalization, obviously.

well (at least i think) the question of this thread isn't so much about being liked in the way of being a nice thing to have around but liked in a more intellectual way, like if our problems, thoughts, and arguments contributed to the dialogue equally without gender bias, because contribution is a two-way street.

edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying that this is always the case, however it does obviously exist or else topics like this wouldn't.

Last edited by seaweed on 25 Nov 2015, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:45 pm

I happen to like women with whom I could have dialogues with. I'm not superficial in the way you've described.

My wife, at times, believes that I'm a "nice thing to have around." I don't care--that's life sometimes.

I'm just expressing why I believe females are liked more than males--thus, contradicting the premise of the thread.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 25 Nov 2015, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I happen to like women with whom I could have dialogues with. People who know me will confirm this.

I'm just expressing why I believe females are liked more than males.

which is why I explained my view on the different types of liking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:51 pm

I'm cool with what you've said.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 7:57 pm

To defend myself, Catlover actually says that he's male. For some reason (and I'm not the only one) I thought that Raleigh was a guy. It bothers me because you get to know certain people and then you find out something about them totally unexpected. And No I don't associate someone's avatar as them if it is an animal, but I do if it is a person. It bothers me to find this out because I thought I was talking to a guy named Raleigh about crochet. If I go to the trouble to PM someone and actually talk to them about something I expect to know who I'm talking to. I just don't like all the secrecy. I guess people think its normal to be someone else when they are online. I'm just not one of them. Except for my avatar being a cat, the nurse is true and Angela is my name. Anyone who asks to see a picture - not a problem. If Mr. K came out and said he was actually female, I'd be just as shocked and upset because I've come to know him as his avatar and his name. That's all.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:01 pm

Well, my name isn't Tifa [although it might as well be], so I guess I'm being secretive about that. I'm just the type of person who loves her privacy, I guess.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I happen to like women with whom I could have dialogues with. I'm not superficial in the way you've described.

My wife, at times, believes that I'm a "nice thing to have around." I don't care--that's life sometimes.

I'm just expressing why I believe females are liked more than males--thus, contradicting the premise of the thread.

im not attacking you, this is in no way personal. (I enjoy your presence here too). I was saying that the premise of this thread and your contradiction mean the same thing to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:06 pm

I saw your reply....and immediately thought I got too defensive. It really clarified things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:13 pm

Hey Angela---I wish it wasn't so--but that's the Internet for you. There are people who are not straight with you, and adopt personas. That's the weakness of an Internet forum, vs. real-life interactions with people.

Raleigh isn't one of those people though.

Raleigh is a person who is somewhat shy, and I sense doesn't really care all that much about gender/sex.

I sense she finds it more important that she is known as a person, rather than being known as a woman.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:21 pm

I'm female too. Just kidding.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:42 pm

nurseangela wrote:
To defend myself, Catlover actually says that he's male. For some reason (and I'm not the only one) I thought that Raleigh was a guy. It bothers me because you get to know certain people and then you find out something about them totally unexpected. And No I don't associate someone's avatar as them if it is an animal, but I do if it is a person. It bothers me to find this out because I thought I was talking to a guy named Raleigh about crochet. If I go to the trouble to PM someone and actually talk to them about something I expect to know who I'm talking to. I just don't like all the secrecy. I guess people think its normal to be someone else when they are online. I'm just not one of them. Except for my avatar being a cat, the nurse is true and Angela is my name. Anyone who asks to see a picture - not a problem. If Mr. K came out and said he was actually female, I'd be just as shocked and upset because I've come to know him as his avatar and his name. That's all.
Yeah, even though Raleigh never said she's a he, so she didn't deceive anyone, I was pretty shocked when I realized that Raleigh was a she as well. I only guessed her gender mainly based on her way of talking and her avatar(I used to think her avatar was a real her until I noticed that was a celeb's), which was my fault in the end, isn't it? But you know Angela, she's a neutral gender individual. She didn't deceive anyone. She's been being herself all the time.

Anyway, I accidently saw her pic, and in my eyes..actually I believe in everybody's eyes would be, she was gorgeous. I liked her staring greenish eyes and appropriately sized nose and mouth and her face structure and fit shoulders and her neutral gender aura.

Now I don't see her neither a she nor a he. I see her a neutral gender individual.