Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:45 am

Gads...I have been a monster this month....threw a horrible yelling tantrum over some spring rolls last night...I am so embarrased.......the physical symptoms are almost nonexistant, but the mental symptoms seem to come in waves out of nowhere.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 1:21 pm

Hi,

I have problems with PMS too. It really messes with my depression (I have clinical depression) and also makes me irritable. It also makes my generalised anxiety disorder worse.

I get a lot of physical symptoms too. I get astonishingly bad pain - anything up to 2 weeks before I start leaking blood, and the pain can be in my thighs and I can get headaches as well. I also get an upset stomach, sometimes to the extent that I actually throw up.

I have also been known to collapse because it messes with my low blood pressure and also the anaemia makes me dizzy and sick.

I take 3 different medications for this, but all it does is make it manageable. It would be great if they could cure it!

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2007, 7:27 am

I've had really bad PMS the last few months. I've been waiting for my period for the last 4 days b/c I've been a monster. It's still not here... I've been irregular since it came back after my third son was born, so I'm not even exactly sure when it's due. I should probably keep better track of when I ovulate...

mizkathy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2007, 11:26 am

I get pms badly, sometimes I even get psychotic around that time of the month.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 11:42 am

i get "Pre" and "Post" MS (PMS, lol)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2007, 11:43 am

Yeah, get this very badly. I keep a note of when I get my periods now so that I am aware.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 5:26 pm

Hi Ladies,

Raspberry leaf tea is good for cramps associated with pmt and can relieve the symptoms of an upset tum and nettle tea is a good source of the extra iron we need at THAT time of the month. I've also heard that evening primrose oil capsules are good for mood swings although i have not tried them yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also heard from my dr that the hormone level changes can cause constipation and that sometimes can be the cause of cramps, so tuck into some extra fibre.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 11:09 pm

Are you sure you don't have PMDD instead of just plain ol' PMS?

http://www.healthyplace.com/communities ... n/pmdd.asp

I get irritable a tad the day before, but it's usually just because I'm tired and I'd rather be in bed, in the dark and quiet, alone.

Speaking of teas I got one: Female Toner by Traditional Medicinals. You should be able to get it at Whole Foods in Houston. It has raspberry leaf, nettle, and several other things in it. You can drink it at anytime but it's quite helpful just before your period.

Low iron can cause more severe symptoms and heavier periods, so be sure you're eating enough iron-rich foods throughout the month. Avoid spinach and chard because they have a lot of oxalic acid, which binds with iron and claium and inhibits absorption. Taking an iron supplement during your period and the week right after it also helps.

Evening Primrose Oil (a.k.a. Omega-6 Fatty Acid or GLA) will help with some of the moodiness, if it's not too severe (if it's severe you may need a SSRI), and it also helps with cramps and breast tenderness. If you wish to take this for moodiness, best to take it with some kind of Omega-3 Fatty Acid to get maximum benefits. This will help with your cholesterol levels too, which have an impact on your menstrual health.

Speaking of which, get your cholestrol and your blood sugar levels checked. High bad cholestrol or erratic blood sugar can make your period worse.

Quote:
I also heard from my dr that the hormone level changes can cause constipation and that sometimes can be the cause of cramps, so tuck into some extra fibre.

Not to get into the TMI range, but I don't have this issue when my periods starts. Just the opposite. Anyhow, if constipation is an issue, avoid taking iron supplements unless they are specifically designed to not cause constipation. Instead, eat lots of hearty greens - dark lettuces, kales, chicories, collards, mustard greens, turnip greens. These are high in iron, as well as many other good minerals and vitamins, and high in insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber is the kind that clears out your system quickly and will get you regular again fast the natural way. Fiber supplements like Metamucil are mostly or all soluble fiber, which is great stuff for cleaning out bad stuff and binding with cholesterol, but because it absorbs water on its way through, it moves a lot slower than the insoluble kind.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 3:01 am

Thanks for the advice.
I am bumping this thread up again because RAWWRRRR...it's back!! !
I have been a nightmare to be around for the past week....
I want to jump down a well...My period has just started...a few minutes ago....
But earlier this evening I went on a yelling tirade in the car (meltdown)....in front of a friend of ours...
I have always figured I just had regular old PMS....but as I get older the mood swings are getting worse and worse...it is starting to scare me.

I take trad. med.'s Women's moon cycle tea. I try to keep up on my nutrition..but it can be difficult at times.