Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

The cramping and bleeding....

I know this topic's probably discussed to death but I swear if I saw Vicodin I'd take it without second thoughts. I've taken 3 tylenol twice today and tried drinking plenty of water and eating light without any salt. I even went on a long walk today and almost felt like throwing up. I'm wondering if my menstrual cycles are normal for them to be as painful as they are. I'm off my antideppressants which might have something to do with it. Other than that, there's been days at work where I literally couldn't function. When people ask me what's wrong I don't know what to tell them.

Just thought I'd make a rant.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm

You need to see a doctor and find out if you have endometriosis.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:59 pm

My fibroid tumors were making the pain so bad it mad me nauseous. I couldn't stand it and went to the doctor and she said I should try Aleve. I didn't think a little pill (or cheap knockoff I use) would stop the pain. I wonder if works for cramps too. Hoping it buys me time until I can afford a hysterectomy.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

IIRC, Aleve is the non-prescription form of Naprosyn, which is a terrific drug from cramps. Even ibuprofen will usually help more than Tylenol (NSAIDS are more effective against prostaglandins) but try Aleve or ask for a Naprosyn prescription. If that isn't strong enough, there could be something else going on.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

I know this topic's probably discussed to death but I swear if I saw Vicodin I'd take it without second thoughts. I've taken 3 tylenol twice today and tried drinking plenty of water and eating light without any salt. I even went on a long walk today and almost felt like throwing up. I'm wondering if my menstrual cycles are normal for them to be as painful as they are. I'm off my antideppressants which might have something to do with it. Other than that, there's been days at work where I literally couldn't function. When people ask me what's wrong I don't know what to tell them.

have you tried aspirin? i believe its blood-thinning properties can help with menstrual pain. graphically... the clots become smaller and easier to pass. i might be wrong, but i think that passing clots is a cause of a lot of the cramping.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm

http://www.endometriosis.org/gnrh.html

You could also try GnRH analogues (warning; not contraceptive)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 8:56 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

Midol.
End of story.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

They've probably reformulated Midol since I tried it, but it never did jack for me. I think it was basically tylenol with caffiene or something like that.

NSAIDS for cramps were the best discovery of my life.

ETA - I looked it up and Midol now comes in basically every form of pain reliever. There's an acetimenophen version, an ibuprofen version and a naprosyn version. Plus caffiene. So if you're using the NSAIDS versions, they probably do work, though not necessarily any better than the plain stuff.

anjie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2010, 6:00 pm

When I was in my late teens, I would get cramps so bad.
I can remember once, laying on the bathroom floor in fetal
position. I, pleading for my then fiance, to find me a gun(I resort
to humor when in intense pain...maybe I was joking, but probably
not)

Anyway, his sister gave me Percogesic(sp.?). Within a relatively
short amount of time, all my cramps were gone...I used it from then
on. Worked everytime. You can buy it at the store, but do make
sure you're not suffering from something more serious. It's
important not to delay in treatment, if it is.

Best Wishes,
Anjie

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:58 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
Midol.
End of story.

But midol it has caffeine :( .

Chinese methods for eating also make medication unnecessary. That's what I typically do and I rarely need to take an aleve or ibuprofen. A Chinese herbalist could get you straightened out in no time. I've even had times where I forget I have my period because my energy levels stay high. And that's from eating according to Chinese medicinal principles, not taking any medication or herbs at all.

I hope you sort it out and feel better. :(

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:07 am

MissConstrue wrote:

If you are concerned about the amount of bleeding, you might have (hope I have the term right) menorrhagia. This is when you bleed so heavily it interferes with your everyday life, but it's treatable.

If it's just the intense pain, that could be any number of things, some of them dangerous. If it is endometriosis, though, that too can be treated simply by going on hormonal birth control. I use the birth control ring, which like any HBC keeps the endometrial lining from growing on other organs but also stops my cramps. I think the cramps are caused by the uterus contracting/expanding rather than by passing clots, but I'm not sure. Talk to a doctor about why you're having such pain, you shouldn't have to live with this!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Sep 2010, 4:49 pm

happymusic wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:
Midol.
End of story.

But midol it has caffeine :( .

Chinese methods for eating also make medication unnecessary. That's what I typically do and I rarely need to take an aleve or ibuprofen. A Chinese herbalist could get you straightened out in no time. I've even had times where I forget I have my period because my energy levels stay high. And that's from eating according to Chinese medicinal principles, not taking any medication or herbs at all.

I hope you sort it out and feel better. :(

It sounds like happymusic is on the right track, MissConstrue! I'd recommend the use of Chinese herbs for your cramps. And, the principals of diet play an important role in the reduction of cramps. If there is a local acupuncture school in your area, they usually have a student clinic where you are examined and then given herbs to take. You will find that these herbs are miracle workers!

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:20 pm

anjie wrote:

Anyway, his sister gave me Percogesic(sp.?). Within a relatively
short amount of time, all my cramps were gone...I used it from then
on. Worked everytime. You can buy it at the store, but do make
sure you're not suffering from something more serious. It's
important not to delay in treatment, if it is.

I looked this up, it's acetimenophen (Tylenol) with an antihistamine. Not sure why that would help more than regular Tylenol.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/percogesic.html

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 9:32 am

What's ETA? :?

I get cramps bad on 1st and 3rd day. I take either 2 Aleve or 1 Tylenol Rapid Release Gels and it goes away. There are some months where I can't stand the pain. I get all sweaty and my face gets white. I just take a Aleve or Tylenol, undress, then take a nap and then the pain goes away. I tried exercising few days ago but it was no go. I waited till the next day to work out. The pain isn't bad enough I think to see a doctor. OTC meds have worked for me. When OTC meds don't make the pain go away, then see a doctor? I tried the Thermacare wraps and they didn't do anything for me. I also tried this tea that is supposedly good for cramps and that didn't work either. Oh yea no coffee drinking during periods. It made me feel worse.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 11:18 am

luvsterriers wrote:
What's ETA? :?

"Edited to add."

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 9:56 pm

Have you considered hormone treatment?

I don't get painful periods but I have polycystic ovaries - and and being on the pill helps regulate my hormones. What does yoru doctor reccomend?

I would also suggest you look up natural treatments for your problem, in my opinion, our earth holds all the answers to our problems.