Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

I really don't see what the appeal is in dating a guy who is taken. To me it seems like it would cause a lot of problems, especially if the wife found out. 8O

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 3:45 pm

Sorry but I might break rules here and throw in some windows, but marriage is something that is created within this society, culture and state. You don't take or belong to somebody but yourself. I think that when people are in a relationship then it is up to that relationship and the agreements they have within that relationship what is possible and what is not. Married or not married, the relationship counts, not the nametag it has. It is all about openess and honesty. Your friend would be partially responsible for damaging a relationship if that relationship was not an open relationship or if her involvement is changing a good happy relationship into stress and misery without the the partner of her lover knowing, when she is just missing out, then your friend should then take responsibility and back off and end it!
I also think that if people have sex with other people next to their partner, then the partner should at least know, because of STDs and pregnancy. Sex outside the relationship should be safe sex and people need regular tests to keep everybody as safe as possible (std wise and pregnancy wise). It is really important to be open and honest.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 6:24 pm

kitty2 wrote:
Sorry but I might break rules here and throw in some windows, but marriage is something that is created within this society, culture and state. You don't take or belong to somebody but yourself. I think that when people are in a relationship then it is up to that relationship and the agreements they have within that relationship what is possible and what is not. Married or not married, the relationship counts, not the nametag it has. It is all about openess and honesty. Your friend would be partially responsible for damaging a relationship if that relationship was not an open relationship or if her involvement is changing a good happy relationship into stress and misery without the the partner of her lover knowing, when she is just missing out, then your friend should then take responsibility and back off and end it!
I also think that if people have sex with other people next to their partner, then the partner should at least know, because of STDs and pregnancy. Sex outside the relationship should be safe sex and people need regular tests to keep everybody as safe as possible (std wise and pregnancy wise). It is really important to be open and honest.

Kitty2 and Sinsboldly, I think you two have said it best.

I've had to rethink a lot of assumptions about life since leaving Christianity a few years ago. Much of what we consider "good" or "bad" is such because society says so, not because it is intrinsically so.

The problem I have with adultery is the betrayal of trust. One has made a promise to their mate to stay faithful when they take marriage vows. Sleeping around is breach of contract, an agreement not to be with other people.

However, I think too many times, this society puts more of the blame on women than it does men, even if the adulterer is the man. In the case of a married man, the woman he messes around with is a "skeezer" or "ho" who seduced him. Or worse, his wife is blamed because she didn't "keep herself up" or some other kind of mess. Never mind that no one put a gun to the guy's head and forced him to have an affair in the first place.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:13 pm

You know what? This sounds like the kind of thing unmedicated bipolar women would do when they're having a manic episode.
Part of it is the thrill, its essentially a form of risk-taking behaviour even for the women involved. Furthermore I see this kind of behaviour as selfish, self-indulgent narcissism; not to mention attention whoring. :x

MissConstrue wrote:
Ok, been friends with this girl for over 2 years which has been off and on. I'm greatful for her accepting me and my differences on the other hand she can be a real b*tch.

Well now I have lost respect for her because she's dating a guy who is MARRIED!! I know the wife of that particular guy and my friend and I never got along with her so I think that's how she's getting back at her. I've done some mean things myself before but not that low. I don't feel like answering the phone when she calls because it's about HIM anymore. The last guy she was with cheated on her. Ironically, she told me a while back that the first guy chose her over another girl.

I've really lost respect for her and already told her how I feel about it. She thinks she's now in love with him..and he's STILL MARRIED.

I've seen this same crap happen to my sister, when her and my brother in law were together, he had a lot of girls flirt with him even though most of them who were close friends knew he was already taken. Well he did good by not fooling around. I don't exclusively blame the girls because the guys are just as responsible.

Ironically, I was in a position of the opposite. I was dating a guy who was already in a relationship with another girl. I had no idea and when she approached him, I got blamed for his fooling around. She called me slut and whore. So I still have trust issues with guys.

Anyway, why do some girls like to go for guys that are already taken?

Is it some competitive crap they get a kick out of?

I've never understood this at all and it seems girls around my age or younger can be so competitive over one guy that it can get ridiculous. Not to mention most of the girls I've seen are very pretty so it looks like they could go for any guy if they wanted.... :?

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 3:43 pm

kitty2 wrote:

Bingo.

But I would add that "adultery" is best left defined by the individuals in the relationship.

What would be a disgusting betrayal to one individual may not be to another. For example, if you are in a committed relationship to a partner that feels that that means monogamy is the only acceptable alternative, and maybe your don't, then you need to either:

A. Agree to that monogamy.
or
B. Get out of the relationship if you can't.

(Vice versa as well of course.)

It is the lies that are the most disrespectful. If you love someone and honor their feelings you will decide for yourself what is acceptable in your chosen interpersonal commitments. It is a negotiation. Honesty and respect is the key.

However, monogamy is the current societal norm. Most 'other woman'/'other man' scenario is likely to cause a lot of pain and so should be avoided.

-Walt Whitman

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 5:07 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Ok, been friends with this girl for over 2 years which has been off and on. I'm greatful for her accepting me and my differences on the other hand she can be a real b*tch.

Well now I have lost respect for her because she's dating a guy who is MARRIED!! I know the wife of that particular guy and my friend and I never got along with her so I think that's how she's getting back at her. I've done some mean things myself before but not that low. I don't feel like answering the phone when she calls because it's about HIM anymore. The last guy she was with cheated on her. Ironically, she told me a while back that the first guy chose her over another girl.

I've really lost respect for her and already told her how I feel about it. She thinks she's now in love with him..and he's STILL MARRIED.

I've seen this same crap happen to my sister, when her and my brother in law were together, he had a lot of girls flirt with him even though most of them who were close friends knew he was already taken. Well he did good by not fooling around. I don't exclusively blame the girls because the guys are just as responsible.

Ironically, I was in a position of the opposite. I was dating a guy who was already in a relationship with another girl. I had no idea and when she approached him, I got blamed for his fooling around. She called me slut and whore. So I still have trust issues with guys.

Anyway, why do some girls like to go for guys that are already taken?

Is it some competitive crap they get a kick out of?

I've never understood this at all and it seems girls around my age or younger can be so competitive over one guy that it can get ridiculous. Not to mention most of the girls I've seen are very pretty so it looks like they could go for any guy if they wanted.... :?

Hey,man. People can act like total morons when their genitals are pumped with blood.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:14 pm

I don't understand it either. Even if you think from a purely selfish perspective, that kind of situation would probably cause more stress than pleasure.

Because I like my life to consist of as little stress as possible, and as much pleasure as possible, I prefer to be involved with only one person at a time, and for that person to be unattached as well, and for everything to be out in the open, no sneaking around, etc.

However, there is a certain thrill involved in any risky activity. Perhaps people get hooked on cheating and stuff like that because they get an adrenaline rush out of the idea that they might get caught, and they enjoy the challenge. Just like shoplifting / kleptomania.

If my friend was in a relationship with a married guy, I would point out the disadvantages, suggest she switch to a risky activity that doesn't involve hurting other people, and then ask not to hear about it anymore. I certainly wouldn't want to be friends with someone who consistently whines about her love affair with someone who is married.

The end to that story is predictable: everyone gets hurt.

lisa81
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2008, 10:17 am

sinsboldly wrote:
lisa81 wrote:
yuck.... once they deal with married folks.... no class and self respect for themselves and others :roll:

and once the married folks deal with them, now. . that is the issue, isn't it?

Merle

both ways :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

Well I have to say marriage or not, it's a trust issue and she's using it just as she would probably use it against me.

UPDATE: Since the last time I posted this there's been a lot going on. I was told that she was in the hospital because of a miscarriage. Her cousin said she wanted to see me. All I sent was a Get Well card.

I know her aunt real well and she said she was worried about her lifestyle after I had tolder her about this topic...(which wasn't right. :oops: ) But her aunt and then her cousin said that she had been molested as a child by a neighbor previously in the past. Some guy who was they're neighbor and friend of the family so no telling how long that went on.

So I wonder if it stems from that. I don't know but this has defintely made me more untrustworthy of people.