A question for women are/have been pregnant.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 9:30 pm

Or you know someone pregnant. Ok first let me say I can't get pregnant so I'm going off of the emotion and behavior I've seen in Pregnant women I've known. My Psychology teacher was pregnant and cheerful and had a happy demeanor a very sweet lady. I as an Aspie (didn't know then but do now) my MAIN school interest was Psychology (I focused so much on it grades/attention in other courses was far less resulting in B's and a C in non Psychology even LOL!) Well during this time I'd question her on Psychology almost DAILY! and IMO she seemed fine with it for what I saw (of course DING DING Social Skills perhaps I didn't SEE an issue!) :-( The course was from Sept-Dec. (in 2004) she had the baby in Nov. Well in Feb 2005 I was suspended for jokingly threatening her (long story) Anyway while suspended my mom heard from someone "The Psychology Teacher didn't know how to answer your questions so she was avoiding you so she didn't have to answer your questions." (IMO How did we go from questions ok to AVOIDING ME! (IMO YOU'RE THE PROFESSIONAL AND SHOULD KNOW THIS FIELD FLAWLESSLY AND IMO AVOIDING ME IS SAD AND MAKES YOU LOOK STUPID!) So was the question ok/not ok (Pregnancy or not?)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 10:48 pm

I remember following this woman across the floor after she spoke to our group. I was questioning her closely on her subject she had just lectured the group, and noticed her going through the empty chairs, wending her way (with me following) through the rows like when you go to a bank and there is a roped off area you have to thread your way though to get to the tellers. I remember thinking at the time "her behavior is odd', but I kept right on questioning her until she saw someone through the door into the hall and quickly excused herself and hurriedly left.

I think we have no clue how we appear to others, is what I take away from this experience. Frankly, I think we scare them. Since they rarely even want simple awkwardness in their social interactions, someone as intense as we can be can alienate others very quickly.

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2009, 6:02 am

I think I figured this one out - and it has nothing to do with pregnancy. When I first went to college I used to do that kind of thing, asking the lecturers extra questions after class and also telling them about things I thought they would be interested in. They were mostly men and were very direct with me. They said they did not have time to answer all my extra questions. Sometimes they had another class to go to, and I was delaying the start of that class. When they did not have a scheduled class they needed time to do things like mark papers or just do all the sorts of bits and bobs that you have to do in the day.

When I understood that I realised that I was taking up more of their time than I was entitled to. It is very complimentary to ask someone a question that you know they know the answer to, and will enjoy talking about, so long as you are not taking up too much of their time. If you often ask questions about topics that have not been researched yet, or about topics that are not their speciality they will feel frustrated. They will probably say "I don't know" the first and second times, but if you keep asking then avoiding you is the only thing they can do.

The body language to say "that is enough questions, I need to go now" usually seems to be they start packing up their notes. Sometimes they will say "I must not take up any more of your time", which is a really polite way to say "you are beginning to take up too much of MY time". If they have started to walk towards the door, that is the time for you to say "well bye-bye now, I will look forward to your next class". If you realise you have stayed too long, it's polite to say "sorry for keeping you so long, and thanks for your time."

Hope this helps.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 7:22 pm

It sounds like she was avoiding you because you threatened her. Sometimes people lie to be tactful. It sounds better to say she was avoiding you because you ask too many questions.

When I was in school I had a habit of asking too many questions and oftentimes would steer the class discussion onto a whole new topic. While some teachers seemed to enjoy the entire class getting engaged in a more philosophical discussion, some times they have to stick to a curriculum and can fall behind on schedule. After a while I learned to shut up because I'd hear sighs after I ask some question. It was quite boring to just listen to one teacher. I much more enjoyed a whole class participation in philosophical ideas pertaining to the topic.

-Pythagoras