Page 5 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:47 pm

Is that the best you can do?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:52 pm

no, it's not.
but it is sufficient for the context.
Last response until a valid point is made.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:55 pm

why dont they neuter a lot of animals [and neutur humans along the way as well in overpopulated human places would be good idea] to stop over population,for one less reason to hunt them?

am dont like blood sports [especially types like hare coursing] and think its better that they are quickly shot than left trapped in those nasty traps for days before being finished off,or chewing their limbs off and being left to suffer to death.
it is good to know there are hunters out there like Blasty with respect for the animals and are not just hunting for useless reasons.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:57 pm

You're the one who showed your ignorance, or limited measure of comprehension.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 6:06 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
why dont they neuter a lot of animals [and neutur humans along the way as well in overpopulated human places would be good idea] to stop over population,for one less reason to hunt them?

am dont like blood sports [especially types like hare coursing] and think its better that they are quickly shot than left trapped in those nasty traps for days before being finished off,or chewing their limbs off and being left to suffer to death.
it is good to know there are hunters out there like Blasty with respect for the animals and are not just hunting for useless reasons.

Birth control for animals has been tried, but it's difficult to do in terms of cost (who is going to pay for the surgery/hormones needed to render the animals infertile?), logistics (how do you access the animals in order to render them sterile? Surgery requires capturing large numbers of them, anesthesizing them, and keeping them confined and calm until they recover; hormones require shooting large numbers with darts and/or somehow lacing their food with a regular dose), and trauma to the animals (being captured and/or shot with darts).

The most ecologically sound method is to reintroduce the carnivores that once kept their populations in check (a la wolves and elk in Yellowstone), but that's not feasible in some areas (carnivores sometimes not differentiating between juicy young deer and juicy young human).

Birth control for humans is definitely a good idea - most will even use it themselves, given access and education!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm

That's right! Pick on somebody else. I hope that makes your ego feel better.

archdude
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2008, 7:00 pm

Humans are omnivores BY NATURE; without any prompting to the contrary, we will naturally eat vegetables AND meat. Of course, since we have free will we can decide to be herbivores (as some people, known as vegetarians, do) or carnivores (as much fewer people do, but any person could).

But then, even creatures that are carnivores by nature could survive as herbivores, if necessary. How do I know? Because there are vegetarian dog and cat foods. Dogs and cats are as carnivorous as it is possible for any mammals to be, yet they can survive on a vegetarian diet. They don't necessarily thrive, and they most likely don't like it, but they can survive. This proves that if saving the lives of animals is worth defying the will of nature, then it is worth forcing non-human animals, as well as humans, to act in ways that defy their instincts. It will be tough, but again, if they want rights, they must accept responsibilities.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 7:14 pm

I guess that's all that separates humans from animals, the will to choose.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

camelonajourney wrote:
spudnik wrote:
the Canadian government allows trophy hunters in to the north the hunt polar bears.

Aren't polar bears going extinct?

they will deport them to the south pole and then what with the penguins?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 1:11 am

The main danger to polar bears is habitat destruction due to global warming. They can't hunt seals without sea ice. Being shot is less painful than starving to death.

Not that that excuses shooting them for nothing but a trophy.

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2008, 4:52 am

Global warming isn't hapenning...the polar bears are doing fine..its just the humans killing them thats the problem...

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2008, 5:47 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Hunting for "sport" is wrong. Hunting and fishing are not real sports. Soccer, football, baseball, etc. are sports. Hunting and fishing are just glorfied forms of animal abuse. It's another way for people to feel good about themselves by hurting or killing someone weaker than them.

I fish all the time but do not kill them.
They are returned unharmed.
Fishing is a wonderful pastime.

like me,,,,,,,,she had a dream to fly

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

My cousin's 12th birthday was a few days ago, and my sister slept over at his place the night before.

HE GOT A SHOTGUN.

He's 12 and his dad takes him hunting. I was shocked. I mean, I knew they were conservative and religious homophobes, but A SHOTGUN? FOR HIS 12TH BIRTHDAY?! I was shocked.

They don't even eat the birds they kill.

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2008, 10:00 am

If they use the animals' meat its fine. If they just kill it and don't use anything it's pretty much a waste. Too many people forget that we ourselves are animals and that hunting used to be a necesity. There is nothing wrong with shooting a deer, rabit, quail, turkey, etc and eating it.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2008, 10:13 am

My 2 cents.

Teaching youngsters at age 4 how to shoot is a little early. However, 12 years old seems to be a good age.

We live in a society (Western) that generally looks down on hunting because some believe there is no need to hunt in the first place because someone can easily go down to the Safeway and purchase some food. So, they must be psychotic for wanting to teach their children and their childrens children how to provide for themselves. But, when a disastorous event occurs and the Safeway is no more and there is no electricity and no food then I bet there will be some that will change their tune. Good, thing some people were paying attention when the tradition of hunting was passed down through the generations.

Also, many areas have more wildlife (and problems with wildlife) that hunting is a means to thin out pesky critters. Birds come to mind here.

Also, why is that the sate of Alaska itself is fighting the legislation the is trying to put the polar bear back on the endangered species list? I would trust Alaskans a little more to know what is going on in their back yard than a bunch of latte drinkers from San Francisco any day.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:22 pm

The state of Alaska makes a great deal of money off of oil leases. They don't want to have further drilling curtailed due to concern over endangered bears being disturbed (the leaders of the state of Alaska, you might recall, are all for drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, despite the effects that it would have on caribou), and they don't want to admit that global warming is a problem despite villages disappearing into the ocean in their own back yards because there's no longer sea ice to protect the shores from storms.

The state of Alaska, you might remember, also wants to allow the 'sport' of shooting wolves from airplanes as the wolves cross frozen lakes and are totally exposed, with nowhere to run or hide.