difference between PDD-NOS and asperger syndrome?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 4:46 am

Ive heard there is something similiar to aspergers syndrome its called PDD-NOS what are the difference's between them?
So i can check if i'm really an aspie or actually a PDD-NOS disfunctionated, so i would like to know :roll:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 4:52 am

PDD-NOS means that you usually lack the repetitive behaviours of an ASD, and you "only" have the social and/or communication deficits (atypical autism and atypical Asperger's respectively). It can also mean that you don't meet the criteria for either AS or AD due to less severe symptoms or not as many symptoms.

PDD-NOS is the most prevalent diagnosis.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 4:53 am

I don't know, but many people (myself included) were diagnosed with PDD-NOS before AS joined the DSM-IV (in 1994).

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 1988 before being diagnosed with AS in 1996.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 4:57 am

Oh, well i cant have PDD-NOS then because i have lots of repeative behaviours any other i should know about it?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:00 am

Nah, that's it.

If you have the usual, hate for change and a need for routine, the obsessive interest, motor mannerisms/"stims", or etcetera, you won't have PDD-NOS.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:18 am

now i still don't have the answer of why i don't feel like the description of aspergers fits me i mean the symtoms are as they should be but i mean i think im below avarage I.Q. and i don't necessarily think im ADD or ADHD sinds ive heard lots of aspies have it wich are still on a normal or above normal I.Q. i also dont think i have mild retardation because ive readed you learn to speak later as usualy but i dont feel like that fits me also that my reading skill's should be as good as a 6 years old but then again my reading skills are normal (well its hard for me to read while some oen talks to me or if the tv is on but i guess thats normal) then i started checking if it might be just my DNA of my familie but that can't be true because my familie is very bright, i know i shoulnd't try to look up so much info but i'm really clueless.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:37 am

Danielismyname wrote:
PDD-NOS means that you usually lack the repetitive behaviours of an ASD, and you "only" have the social and/or communication deficits (atypical autism and atypical Asperger's respectively). It can also mean that you don't meet the criteria for either AS or AD due to less severe symptoms or not as many symptoms.

PDD-NOS is the most prevalent diagnosis.

incorrect.

PDD-NOS is not a specific diagnosis so can't specify anything like that. Hence the 'Not Otherwise Specified'. Sure a few diagnosticians are using that way, but there is no consistency between them, which is the joke. It is illogical to do so.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:47 am

To answer you question, diagnostician genrally use PDD-NOS when they can't establish what the development disorder is other than it is pervasive rather then specific (SDD) or learned behaviour.

Tell often give the label to young children because they may show sign of autism but there is a possibility it could be childhood schizophrenia or other conditions.

There are many NOS labels throughout medicine. I’m not in favour of them generally, but regardless they are a placeholder diagnosis.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:30 am

I was wrong in one facet (but most of it was right), as it appears that one will have the social deficits of Autism, but one won't be impaired in one of the other two areas that are outlined for Autism (communication and repetitive behaviours). There's also a whole slew of labels in PDD-NOS that are in text books; Residual Autism, Atypical Asperger's, Mixed Autism/Asperger's, BAP, Autistic Features secondary to another neurological disorder, etcetera.

Here:

Quote:
Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (Including Atypical Autism)

This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction associated with impairment in either verbal or nonverbal communication skills or with the presence of stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities, but the criteria are not met for a specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, or Avoidant Personality Disorder. For example, this category includes "atypical autism" - presentations that do not meet the criteria for Autistic Disorder because of late age onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:32 am

It's just a catch-all category. Atypical autism, very mild autism, autism that doesn't completely fit into Asperger's or classic autism categories...

PDD-NOS is what you get if you're obviously autistic, but don't fit into a neat little box.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

craola
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2008, 8:59 am

My godmother is a educational psychologist and the way she described it to me was that when they are diagnosing someone its like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, to receive a diagnosis for example of aspergers 21 pieces have to fit into the puzzle out of 27, anything inbetween 14 and 21 would be a diagnosis of PDD-NOS.
I have no idea how numbers work but it helped me understand when I was being diagnosed.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 9:25 am

Sounds like a concrete way of teaching an abstract idea. Good for her.

I think your puzzle pieces are autistic traits, incidentally. So many for Asperger's, but with less that are strong enough, PDD-NOS.

Technically, though, PDD-NOS is not always "not quite Asperger's". It can also be "not-qutie-autism", or atypical autism--say, somebody with no language, lots of repetitive behavior, and good social skills. (My mom used to work with autie kids. One of her students had that profile. Got his ideas across with pointing, gestures, eye-contact... acted very much like a deaf kid with repetitive-movement disorder, apparently, except that his hearing was fine and he simply hadn't got any words yet. Idiot speech therapist wouldn't teach him sign 'cause his parents wanted him to talk. Or maybe idiot parents and the ST had to go along, I don't know. Sign seems perfect to me for someone who's already using gestures and pointing. Bleh.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

craola
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2008, 9:40 am

Yes, I meant to add it can be Aspergers or Autism but I got distracted.
You described it much better than I did, I'm rubbish at putting words in order :)

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 10:02 am

I have the diagnosis PDD-NOS and it was given to me by TEACCH because they said I was too high functioning to have Asperger's and because I didn't have a singular obsession anymore (i did as a child).

But I am looking forward to the DSM V where I can just say "autism" and not have to mess around with nonsensical terminology that doesn't mean the same thing in all places.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 11:02 am

I thought that I was possibly PDD-NOS...but it turns out I actually am an aspie.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:06 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I thought that I was possibly PDD-NOS...but it turns out I actually am an aspie.
When did you find that out??