Other, and I control them 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Other, no control over them 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
I have no idea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2009, 3:03 am

I have a dream that one say, people will be judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin. I have a ... Oh what's that? Not that kind of dream?

I dream in all 5-senses and through meditation learned how to maintain lucidity and then transition that into a lucid waking dream as a method of dealing with sensory overload. It is a method of establishing a more natural cooperative relationship with the subconscious, tear down the wall between and break on through (to the other side). I feel less need to use my conscious to force my subconscious into action, and instead move to the integrated mode of letting the conscious be the spokesperson for the subconscious.

The I That Says I, Is Not The I That Sees.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 2:24 pm

I'd say most of my dreams often seem to be mostly symbolic in nature, atleast to me that is.Anyways, of what I can actually recall it tends to have elements of things that are not always nice.No, I'm not saying anything barbaric or horrific just, images of places and people that, I'd rather not remember due to the fact, such persons went around dragging me around(not literally mind you). So, I often try not to think of such things..

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:44 am

While a few of my dreams have been decent, the majority are usually bad dreams & I wake up in a crappy mood afterwards.

One recent dream that was great went like this:

First, I had a chat with Harold Ramis on the phone about Ghostbusters.

Second, I had a chat with Elijah Wood and the cast of Lord of the Rings about...well....Lord of the Rings!

Third, I went dancing with my girlfriend.

but there was one dream I had sorta recently that I really liked.

It featured a girl I used to go to school with. Now, I was never really into her or anything in high school, but in my dream I was into her back then. Anyway, in the dream she tries to let me down nicely, as she's not into me( I'm Autistic, what a shocker)...but I just smile and tell her "that's ok, I've found the one I want"...referencing my girlfriend. It was a nice dream. :)

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:08 pm

One of the very few songs I remember from a dream was a piece of a very dark-mooded (if there is such a word) heavy metal song. In the dream it was played on a tape, and a man was singing. It was in Danish and translates as:

"Crying for help in field and forest
Asking for permission to suffer and die
Why am I allowed to live?"

Hmmm... :?

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:20 pm

I chose visual, no control. I've been told that it's unusual that I am quite often not in my own dreams; I dream about other people as if I were sitting watching the story on TV. Sometimes I inhabit the body of one person or another, and I 'am' them for a while. But I would say I was only in my dreams as myself around 25% or less of the time.

Daniel09
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2009, 2:50 pm

My dreams tend to be fully visual, in color, with detailed sound and people talking (in English to my recollection), but I also have seen text on a computer screen and on an envelope in the mail within my dreams. I chose other and I control them, because though I don't control them from a conscious perspective (doing so would wake me up), I do always get the result I desire in my dream, often coming out as the hero of dreams where obstacles are blocking me and I have to choose to save my friends. In a way, I am in absolute control, though I often allow my dreams to do things on their own, because it helps me learn more about myself and sometimes lead to premonitions.

ddunkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2009, 3:13 pm

How about audible and visual and full control as an option? I can (on the odd occasion) control the visual as I am a visual thinker, which I think lends to a great advantage with dream memory and comprehension. There is also the component of memory that takes practice. I am sure many people have vivid dreams, but not vivid memories, so they do not even know they are having them every night and just don't remember.

Control depends on my ability to recognize I am in a dream, which isn't as common these days as when I was younger and trying. I used to form habits that would carry into my dreams (look at my hands and ask myself if I was dreaming throughout the day) that would cause me to question if I was dreaming, then coming to the realization, without waking myself up out of shock. Your self perception (body) in a dream isn't a solid fact, so looking down at yourself tends to lean towards noticing it is a dream when your hands don't look quite right, or just flat out melt/disappear in some cases.

There was a point where I could recognize I was in a dream, everything would disappear and I could visually form shapes in front of me (say a tree). This can usually happen in the morning when I am half asleep still. Or perhaps I'm just crazy. Overall, I believe this is due to AS, as I tend to feel disconnected from the world/in my own head during the entire day, so it just seems natural to be able to adapt to dreams.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 2:18 am

Last night, I dreamt I was mountain-climbing. (I have never done that in real life). I enjoyed the beautiful view. I could see far away from up there. And because I knew I was dreaming, there was no fear of falling.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2009, 7:20 am

ddunkin wrote:
How about audible and visual and full control as an option? I can (on the odd occasion) control the visual as I am a visual thinker, which I think lends to a great advantage with dream memory and comprehension. There is also the component of memory that takes practice. I am sure many people have vivid dreams, but not vivid memories, so they do not even know they are having them every night and just don't remember.

Control depends on my ability to recognize I am in a dream, which isn't as common these days as when I was younger and trying. I used to form habits that would carry into my dreams (look at my hands and ask myself if I was dreaming throughout the day) that would cause me to question if I was dreaming, then coming to the realization, without waking myself up out of shock. Your self perception (body) in a dream isn't a solid fact, so looking down at yourself tends to lean towards noticing it is a dream when your hands don't look quite right, or just flat out melt/disappear in some cases.

There was a point where I could recognize I was in a dream, everything would disappear and I could visually form shapes in front of me (say a tree). This can usually happen in the morning when I am half asleep still. Or perhaps I'm just crazy. Overall, I believe this is due to AS, as I tend to feel disconnected from the world/in my own head during the entire day, so it just seems natural to be able to adapt to dreams.

Not crazy at all. Lucid dreaming and The Waking Dream have been used in applied meditation for millennia. Do you practice more traditional meditation? A common lucid dreaming introductory technique is an extension of the classic flame in the void calming meditation technique. If you are not familiar with that, you do your typical breathe as slowly as you comfortably can while relaxing every muscle in your body one at a time. You empty your mind of all thoughts and focus on a flame the size you would get from a match in the center of a void.

The lucid dreaming technique involves establishing this relaxed centered state, then slowly raising your arm in front of you, when it is approximately where you visualize the flame in your void projected in front of you, you snap your finger and say out loud "Ignus!" while opening your eyes , leave your arm out with palm up and attempt to hold the flame inside of it. Do this each night right before you go to bed and upon waking up each morning. Eventually you will find yourself inside of a dream, lucid, holding a flame in your hand and hovering in a void.

The manifestation of visual objects in this space is the directed metabolizing of encoded memory, in a fully attenuated state. When your body "wakes" it dissattenuates from memory so that you can tell the difference between what you are remembering and what is new sensory information. When you "sleep" you dissattenuate from your sensory organs and attenuate to memory. The Waking Dream is a balance between these two states that allows you to have vivid memories while lucid.

Manifest a mountain. Climb it. Then base jump off it. Do it all naked. I promise you it will be an experience.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 7:48 am

i chose "Other, no control over them".

i can see and hear the events in my dreams, but they are not under my control. i do feel as if i am subjectively there.

my dreams are often bad dreams in a way, but they are not nightmares.

my dreams over the last few years have centered around me being inside my shelter that i know and trust, and looking outside to see an approaching catastrophe. i wonder whether my shelter is strong enough to withstand what i see coming. when the catastrophe arrives, i can only hunker down and hope that i survive the terrible raging outside my shelter. i always do, but i never remember previous dreams while caught in the rush of a dream i am having, and i just hope to hell i survive it.

this morning before i woke i dreamed of a cloud that was passing over my house and it looked as black and dangerous as any i ever saw. i noticed the wind picked up and it was tearing against the trees outside. the wind intensity grew rapidly until it was stripping all the trees of their foliage and i started to get scared. then i heard a thunderous sound approaching and i knew it was a wind gust of monstrous proportion and i fell to the floor and waited and heard a rushing ripping sound that was tumultuous, and i felt a vibration through the floor that was terrifying in it's intensity and made me think the house was getting picked up.... and then it abated and calmed down and i survived.

i could never imagine so vividly while awake, the intensity of forces i can dream of.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:57 am

Most of my dreams are mixed visual/audible (I am blind in real life but used to ahve some vision) and occasionally other senses. I don't have control over them.

ddunkin

14 Jul 2009, 1:24 pm

Crassus wrote:
Do you practice more traditional meditation?

I had when I was younger, and living alone (IE: quiet), and unemployed. These days, just before bed (a great cure for my massive insomnia). Although not as directly focused as I used to, when I would say, mid-morning, and have no chance of falling asleep accidently.

I am focused on other internal/mental aspects these days, keeping my mind blank is difficult as I am so obsessed with work and analysis of life, that I don't give my mind the downtime I used to.