How much has lack of ToM affected your life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How much ToM do you have?
I developed satisfactory (intuitive) ToM as a young child 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total lack of ToM destroyed my life 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
No significant impairment 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Significant impairment 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
I don't know 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:53 pm

jelibean wrote:
I knew everyone else was real in the physical sense, I am a nurse so have plenty of experience with beating hearts etc! But were they real in that they had THEIR OWN LIVES, own feelings, own thoughts that were different from my feelings and thoughts. I believed that my feelings were more important than anyone elses and that I MATTERED most! I couldn't 'gloop' into other people or read their facial expressions to be able to KNOW how they thought or felt. I just presumed everyone thought the same!!

And weirdly for me and my second son....we believed that everyone else on the planet was put there just for us! I know crazy but until you realise that actually every single person on the planet has their very own unique mind and life it is difficult to understand. Does any of that make sense?

Yeah...I think so...sometimes it does feel to me as though when people exit the room, they cease to exist (not literally, but in any relevant sense) until they come back. I don't usually spend much time thinking about what they're doing or whether its making them happy or whatever - they're not here now, so they're existence has no direct impact on me. I am always thrown when someone asks "Did you miss me?" Uhm...no...I knew you were coming back eventually.

That doesn't mean I'm incapable of being concerned about the welfare of others - at this moment I'm very upset about the treatment being received by several people I barely know. Perhaps because I know they're dealing with a type of bullying, and that's something I can relate to.

So I think I sort of grasp the idea, but I still say this is something everybody experiences to one level or another. Maybe its worse in an autistic than a neurotypical, or perhaps like so many other social skills we have to learn it the hard way, when it comes more easily to others. I can't really recall a time when I was utterly unaware of the feelings of others, but I suppose that may have to do with the parenting and guidance I received early on.

:shrug:

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 9:28 pm

I think that understanding, and anticipating, another person's thoughts, intentions, or desires could be one of my biggest blind spots. As far back as I can remember, my trying to follow the reasoning by which people decide do something always was, and still is to some extent, a mind-bending puzzle to me.

luvmycutebaby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 9:41 pm

I had never heard the term before, but from reading through the answers here I have to say significant impairment. I most certainly can relate to the feeling of others "not being real", I must have been a teenager when I was able to work through that although the issue does sometimes still rear it's head on occasion.

I also tend to expect others to feel the same way that I do, and often they do not and I can get a real rude awakening when I eagerly share my feelings only to find that others feel the complete opposite. I have mostly learned to keep quiet about my opinions because of this, I'm known as the quiet one because I usually don't open my mouth to share my thoughts or feelings. I don't want to deal with the repercussions. I've also learned to sugar coat or avoid the truth when people ask me questions and I think they won't like the answer.

I also tend to expect others to say what they mean and mean what they say, and I can be rigid about it. I hate being lied to, I would rather just hear the truth in the first place, I don't want people to tell me what they think I want to hear (which I know is ironic since I sugar coat things myself). I apparently don't pick up on jokes (though I do have a sense of humor, I just don't like practical jokes or 'hey I was just kidding!' kind of jokes). Sometimes I think that someone is lying and they aren't. It's so complicated, it's no wonder I prefer my own company.